October 23, 2018, 07:23:32 PM

Author Topic: Niasse  (Read 41903 times)

November 21, 2017, 09:16:26 PM
Reply #15

Major Clanger

One ex-player, one ex-manager, one ex-referee. Potentially a different panel each week.

We should have an ex-parrot too, just to complete the set.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

November 21, 2017, 09:39:28 PM
Reply #16

Major Clanger

If he's banned there's sod all we can do about it, we should look on it as an opportunity for Sandro to play in his place. Hope this ruling is a applied to the so called bigger teams player's though  ::)

We already know it isn't.

November 22, 2017, 11:31:08 PM
Reply #17

Major Clanger

Fucking raging over that ban. Underlines how it's one rule for certain clubs and different rules for others.

No way that's a dive. Scott Dann makes no attempt to play the ball. Fucking joke. Hate the FA, hate modern football and hate Danny Murphy.

It's a clear dive, regardless of the contact and Dann's attempt to block him off.

The real problem is that even bigger dives have gone unpunished.

November 23, 2017, 12:56:36 AM
Reply #18

Major Clanger

Do you think Dann did anything that could be construed as a foul there? I do think Niasse when down on purpose, but I think he thought he'd be fouled (and the chance was disappearing) so he was asking the question as players know they don't get anything for a foul by staying on their feet.

As a defender, I'd hate to see those given as a foul. I however agree with you that it's wrong that you don't get a penalty even if you're stabbed in the face, unless you fall over. That refereeing practice is one of the main reasons of overacting on contact and must stop.

November 23, 2017, 01:00:18 AM
Reply #19

Major Clanger

I actually donít think itís a dive to be honest. Heís gone down easily but there was clear contact and Dan made no attempt for the ball. Itís a grey area at best and certainly not a retrospectively punishable offence

Fair enough, I think he clearly throws himself to the ground as soon as he senses contact, and for me that's a dive. (But at the same time you can get a legitimate penalty without a contact, at least according to the rules you should be able to.)

November 23, 2017, 03:07:30 AM
Reply #20

Major Clanger

nothing worse than the tyranny of Shearer's cliche: 'there was contact' or 'contact = foul'.

It's not about whether there is 'contact', but whether or not there was enough to impede the player. T

It's not even that, it's whether an attempt has been made. So if you try to trip your opponent but he dodges the challenge, that's still a penalty.

November 23, 2017, 05:12:49 PM
Reply #21

Major Clanger

Ok, so maybe it needs to be implemented more effectively but it's a new law in an attempt to eradicate a problem many people hate. New laws often have teething problems and need tweaking and adjusting. It's unfortunate we're the first to suffer but I don't see any conspiracy or bias against us. They just need to think about that the yellow card/2 game ban discrepancy.

I don't think it's a conspiracy against us specifically, it's just that if you're playing for one of the "big" or more fashionable teams, you're less likely to be charged. I've got no issue with the ban discrepancy however, it's the same as in criminal courts, pleading guilty results in a reduced sentence.

What I do have an issue with is that even if the panel view it separately, they do so after hearing all the pundits' verdict. And when one member of the panel actually works for one of those programmes, and has a well-documented bias for a rival team, it becomes even more dodgy.

November 24, 2017, 08:39:07 PM
Reply #22

Major Clanger

Oh, and over ruling the ref, despite him rewatching and still saying he'd give a pen. Will the FA discipline him for his quite blatant incompetence then??

Apart from having clearly biased ex-players on the board, that's the other worrying aspect of the process. The referee should always be allowed to change their decision retrospectively on video evidence, or even choose to defer to others at a push, but he must not be overruled by anyone who wasn't part of the original refereeing team.