December 16, 2017, 01:26:20 PM

Author Topic: 1-3-5-2 ? What formation would work best?  (Read 627 times)

November 20, 2017, 12:12:43 AM
Read 627 times

Normm

There is a lot to be said for this formation in the modern game. But do we have the players to implement it?

deCoubertin

November 20, 2017, 12:14:09 AM
Reply #1

stirlingblue

There is a lot to be said for this formation in the modern game. But do we have the players to implement it?

Who puts a '1' at the front of a formation like that!?

November 20, 2017, 12:16:21 AM
Reply #2

Coyb12

He does.

November 20, 2017, 12:17:21 AM
Reply #3

Rhys

I thought it was suggesting some crazy sweeper formation until counted the number of players in it.

November 20, 2017, 12:22:39 AM
Reply #4

bluenuck

No, we don't.

It's why we're not playing it anymore, and we shouldn't until we get the proper personnel. 

November 20, 2017, 12:26:50 AM
Reply #5

Rhys

No, we don't.

It's why we're not playing it anymore, and we shouldn't until we get the proper personnel. 

Or a manager who knows how the system needs to work and coaches the players to be better at it. It obviously helps to have the players and I agree we don't really, but if you are playing it we could still do it better than we did. Making sure the wing backs play more as midfielders not full backs, making sure the wide centre backs support attacks at the right times as full backs. We end up playing a back 5 and aside from holgate none of the centre halves move into the areas they need to to play the system well.

But unless it's a manager who knows the system well, can coach it into players well I don't think we have the centre backs or wing backs who naturally play the system well so should avoid it for now.

November 20, 2017, 12:29:09 AM
Reply #6

Macca77

November 20, 2017, 12:31:42 AM
Reply #7

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
3-5-2 works with fast, hard working wingbacks in theory. Lennon or Martina might be able to play that role in theory but Baines definitely can't. It also need someone in defence to bring the ball out and none of our defenders particularly like doing so.

November 20, 2017, 12:35:31 AM
Reply #8

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
I'm gonna give this thread a 1 out of 3 out of 10.

November 20, 2017, 12:36:41 AM
Reply #9

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
I think we should look at it again. Williams or Jags in the centre. Holgate or Keane the right side of the back three and Baines the left side. Play Vlasic LWB or Garbutt. Play Kenny, Martina or Coleman RWB. Then take you pick with either Niasse/DCL or Sandro Up front. And then 2 midfielders and two of the number 10's. It's the only system that might work for us.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

November 20, 2017, 12:42:13 AM
Reply #10

bluenuck

I'm pretty sure It was the system Koeman and Walsh were trying to implement with who they bought. Where it fell down was on the left side and the centre backs not moving up. Martina was at his best in that 3-5-2 set up and actually overlapped. It's just his quality was so low nothing much happened. So that didn't help either.

We just don't have the players to play it, and as mentioned above, and correct me if I'm wrong, we don't currently have a manager who knows the system.

November 20, 2017, 01:46:30 AM
Reply #11

Cereal Killer

and correct me if I'm wrong, we don't currently have a manager who knows the system.

Corrected  :thumbsup:

November 20, 2017, 12:53:56 PM
Reply #12

Redartin

We've established the OP is Pickford.

November 20, 2017, 01:58:35 PM
Reply #13

Bluedylan

We haven't got the centre halves or wing backs to play this effectively. Apart from that, it's a belter of an idea.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 20, 2017, 02:05:07 PM
Reply #14

GrantyBoy78

Just lazy to blame our woes on formations. Itís not like we have the players that are going to dictate a certain formation.