January 16, 2018, 05:26:31 PM

Author Topic: Ball playing CB  (Read 1509 times)

November 30, 2017, 07:07:00 AM
Reply #15

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Made up for Duffy and wouldn’t say no to him but he’s not a ball player come on.

Holgate... errrr if you’d asked me like a year ago, I’d have said yeah looks a good player, comfortable on the ball and good defensively but can’t go forward.

Not 100% sure these days. Shouldn’t be hard to force your way into this side, especially as a player who has something none of the others have which is a bit of composure on the ball, but sometimes I watch him and I’m just not sold.

If we can get a proper, (left sided if poss) ball playing centre back with a bit of mobility, I would rather that.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

deCoubertin

November 30, 2017, 08:42:00 AM
Reply #16

Ridge

Holgate is a work in progress, he has pace that cuts out some of the major issues. Any mistakes are relatively minor compared to major issues we've had in recent times. But actually thought he gave a very decent performance, considering it was a little rough around the edges and a difficult situation.

There was a lesson with Stones, Lukaku learning his trade over several seasons, you don't find your limits by taking the easy route, it's only later down the line that you refine. Stones had an aura in certain games where he was intimidating, he wanted to embarrass opponents and tell everyone to calm down, he has balls the size of watermelons.

With this squad now, Holgate should be the first choice centre back, either Williams or Jagielka to play alongside him. Also liked that when Williams was accepting his fate for an awful challenge on penalty, Holgate was shouting about something.

At least with the young players you can tell that their heart is in it and they've got the enthusiasm left.

November 30, 2017, 01:33:41 PM
Reply #17

Tofifee

It will be funny watching him on the line in blue in two weeks time. Imagine, we score late. Sammy goes nuts, Kop pukes :)

November 30, 2017, 07:02:15 PM
Reply #18

Bluenose 91

Reckon that was his best game at centre half for us last night.  Even his long balls up the pitch were passes rather than aimless hoofs.

Get Shane Duffy to fuck as well by the way. Absolute pig of a player him.

November 30, 2017, 07:10:11 PM
Reply #19

SANA_DR0

Wasn't exactly perfect tonight but I thought Holgate made an impression by being the only CB at the club with the ability to make a semi-difficult pass.

Rather have the balance of him and one of the other three than a combination of the latter.

Think he;s just as good as Stones as a ball playing defender.. (Stones at the age Holgate is now)

just neess game time.. regular game time to get the mistakes out of his system, similar to the game time Kenny has had.
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

November 30, 2017, 07:33:31 PM
Reply #20

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Think he;s just as good as Stones as a ball playing defender.. (Stones at the age Holgate is now)

just neess game time.. regular game time to get the mistakes out of his system, similar to the game time Kenny has had.

Stones had played for England a year younger than Holgate is now and at the same age was being chased by Chelsea for massive money.

I don’t think they’re close really.

But Stones is an exception. As a CB Holgate has plenty of time to improve.

November 30, 2017, 08:09:15 PM
Reply #21

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

🤦🏻‍♂️
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 30, 2017, 08:14:42 PM
Reply #22

hill135

Yeah deffo worth the risking of losing some solidity to have a centreback who can actually resist pressure, offer an option, pass through the lines etc.

Not sure Big Sam feels the same though

November 30, 2017, 08:17:03 PM
Reply #23

Rodenplav64

Not really in Allardyces manual though ball playing centre halfs .

November 30, 2017, 09:12:05 PM
Reply #24

Lxxx

He's definitely not a right back anwyay

November 30, 2017, 09:12:37 PM
Reply #25

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

Nah im not having that

Simply simply lovely

November 30, 2017, 09:59:21 PM
Reply #26

SANA_DR0

🤦🏻‍♂️

never seen this popart / image used before.. explain it to me bro :)

Nah im not having that

why not! he will be better than Williams, Williams makes around 3 mistakes a game. i'm pretty confident Holgate will make less than that.. shame he hasnt got a partner, i feel Holgate would have been awesome with a solid CB alongside him.. genuinely thought that would be Keane or Jagielka.. but its not happened for whatever reasons..

Give him some game time!! i'd so much rather see our youth step up and play than wait to buy in cbs of the ilk of Williams.. lol
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

November 30, 2017, 10:04:19 PM
Reply #27

Cereal Killer

i'd so much rather see our youth step up and play than wait to buy in cbs of the ilk of Williams.. lol

Shame our new manager has the complete opposite philosophy

November 30, 2017, 10:25:36 PM
Reply #28

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
never seen this popart / image used before.. explain it to me bro :)

why not! he will be better than Williams, Williams makes around 3 mistakes a game. i'm pretty confident Holgate will make less than that.. shame he hasnt got a partner, i feel Holgate would have been awesome with a solid CB alongside him.. genuinely thought that would be Keane or Jagielka.. but its not happened for whatever reasons..

Give him some game time!! i'd so much rather see our youth step up and play than wait to buy in cbs of the ilk of Williams.. lol
I meant that he's a good as what stones was

Simply simply lovely

November 30, 2017, 10:49:16 PM
Reply #29

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
If ever a player needed to go out on loan though it's Holgate.

Ideally we sign a centre half in January, maybe even two and Holgate can go on loan.