November 17, 2018, 12:53:42 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 134709 times)

December 01, 2017, 12:40:09 PM
Read 134709 times

therealdunc

I think a top half finish is what he should be aiming for and judged on this season.

Next season I think he should be judged on winning a trophy or finishing top 4/6.
Any less would be failure UNLESS he doesnít get any money to spend.
But I fully expect Steve Walsh and Sam to go into the market in a big way next summer.

Genuinely expect him to give everything into planning for next season and having a real good go at in next year.

Think about it, next season is pretty much the last chance in his life to really go for it and I think itís going to be a huge success.
Genuinely excited.

He has a tough run with 9 games in the next month, but get through that unscathed and it will be onwards and upwards.
Blue

December 01, 2017, 08:10:30 PM
Reply #1

therealdunc

Impressive press conference

Details on the Oldham echo website
Blue

December 04, 2017, 03:43:31 PM
Reply #2

therealdunc

If he gets a win on Sunday, it's going to give him a lot of room to get things into order. It will set him up with the fans for weeks.

More like months
Blue

December 08, 2017, 01:25:16 AM
Reply #3

therealdunc

Everyone knows how to break the 3rd party rules

He was caught out by a hidden camera telling everyone what they already knew

Blue

December 10, 2017, 11:18:04 PM
Reply #4

therealdunc

Big Sam did to Klopp what Ferguson did to Rafa

He made him crack up

For that I will forever be grateful
Blue

December 11, 2017, 12:18:38 AM
Reply #5

therealdunc

If we can average a point with our full strength team away from home at the top 4 clubs then we are doing very well.

To manage a point with 5 major injuries and a terrible right back playing left back is even better.

Time for some of the haters to give Big Sam some credit for getting a point against the odds
Blue

December 11, 2017, 04:12:05 AM
Reply #6

therealdunc

Made me laugh when the camera cut to hin early in the 1st and he's shouting "Get the fuck over here" to someone.

Can't knock the fella so far.

I was suprised they put that out on TV !

Sam was really aggressive towards them from the touch line, no doubt he cares
Blue

December 12, 2017, 05:36:05 AM
Reply #7

therealdunc

Also really bitter about Everton and Big Sam.

Itís as if Allardyce should have let Liverpool win, how dare he make a poor injury hit Everton team hard to beat!
Blue

December 12, 2017, 03:04:25 PM
Reply #8

therealdunc

I think Sam is doing the first part of the job well, and everyone knew he would do really

And that is the steadying of the ship, making us a tighter defensive unit who dont concede many goals

Heís got to be given credit for this. Especially when that defence is forged from 2 youngsters, a veteran who we had all written off and a fairly poor quality right back, with no left foot who we are playing at left back

Itís not fair to judge our lack of winning ambition in the derby as sams blueprint for the future. The vast majority were expecting a defeat, a few weeks earlier we had conceded 5 and 4 in consecutive games, to have that defence solid and resilient after 4 games in charge deserves credit, against a side who traditionally hammer us, who we have a Strange mental block against, who had scored 5 and 7 in their previous 2 games

He outwitted his opposite number, despite it being really obvious what our game plan would be. Klopp had a couple of weeks to work on a plan for this really as the second Sam took over in the state we were in, there is only 1 way he was going to approach the game, and he couldnít out wit him

What is important is if he can reach the next stage, which for me will involve 2 things and will dictate whether he can have the job past this season. First of all to play more attacking football and take the game to teams more. Utilising Bolasie when he is back, plus giving game time to Lookman and Vlasic amongst others would be great. Also we need to start winning away games, and Newcastle would be a great place to start.

If he leaves though in the summer, after guiding us to 7th and heís managed to give plenty of game time to the younger players and we replace him with a more progressive manager, than I would have to say Iíve been happy with the appointment

I really donít get how people accuse him of not being progressive?

He has stated after both league games how dissapointed he was with our ball play and wants it to improve.
He has stated after both games he wants to player better football but doesnít have the players due to injury and an imbalanced squad

The transfer window is crucial but itís the Jan window and everyone knows the Jan window is a stinker for trying to do lots of business.

He needs 2 transfer windows and a pre season before he can be judged.
They are not his signings, we all agreed Koeman messed up and unsworth wasnít up to the job.

After just 3 games we can all see the team is looking as good as itís looked in 18 months and thatís With lots of injuryís and no star striker.

The time to judge Allardyce is next October.
Blue

December 14, 2017, 03:37:35 AM
Reply #9

therealdunc

I old you this Big Sam feller was special!

Onwards and upwards
Blue

December 15, 2017, 07:48:58 PM
Reply #10

therealdunc

Newcastle hit the woodwork twice. Anything you want to say about the missed West Ham penalty applies there.

There is insufficient improvement over 90 minutes from the west ham game to any subsequent one not to suggest Unsworth was the one that turned the corner "got back to basics" and Allardyce has benefited from it.

I am not for one minute arguing that Unsworth should have been given more time. Allardyce will, 100%, perform better over the rest of the season.
But i just don't like to hear the digs levelled at Unsworth when i think he's the one that actually turned the ship around.

Speechless

How anyone can give that football dinosaur unsworth any credit is beyond me?

Way way out of his depth, keep him with the kids and well away from adult football
Blue

December 16, 2017, 03:23:16 AM
Reply #11

therealdunc

Unsworth was dropped in at the deep end with no previous premier League management experience, he did his best give the guy a break
He said he wanted the job, he said he was ready for the job

Iím sorry but he put himself in the firing line and screwed up
Blue

December 16, 2017, 03:30:23 AM
Reply #12

therealdunc

Maybe a bit harsh ,

I will accept your point

Blue

December 19, 2017, 01:38:37 PM
Reply #13

therealdunc

I sat right next to the dig out last night

One major thing I observed

Big Sam doesnít say a lot during a game, he allows the staff team he has built to do a lot of the detail managing of players during the game.

Over 5 different people plus Sam gave instructions to the players during the game.

Sam only shouted instructions when deemed necessary and also shouted at the 4th official!

This is a sign of a strong leader, allows his team to manage and gets involved when he needs to.

Very impressive.

In contract Paul clement didnít stop shouting instructions but this becomes ineffectual as the players familiarise the sound of his voice and start to autopilot ignore it.
In contrast to Sam, when he shouts and itís not often, you bloody well know and listen.

Blue

December 19, 2017, 03:01:48 PM
Reply #14

therealdunc

He has stated on the record at least twice he only wants players that improve the squad and as thatís difficult - it will be a difficult window in Jan.

Also itís clear he wants a striker, itís the one position he has mentioned on a few occasions. The only other position mentioned is left back and that was more the press asking direct questions
Blue