November 21, 2018, 03:24:01 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 135235 times)

December 01, 2017, 02:20:03 PM
Read 135235 times

van der Meyde

Compared to the rest of the football world? He wouldn't have been what I'd go for.

Compared to what we had though? Well, I like/rate Allardyce more than Koeman. Allardyce is probably better suited to working with Walsh than Koeman.

We've effectively swapped 18+ months of Koeman for 18 months of Allardyce. On that basis I'm...okay with how things turned out.

December 01, 2017, 05:20:31 PM
Reply #1

van der Meyde

Plus £10m to swap them over.
Presuming that Walsh and Allardyce will be singing from the same hymn sheet, hopefully some of that can by not squandering money in the transfer window?

With hindsight, and considering I never felt relegation was a danger, would I have bothered sacking Koeman? I might think Allardyce is a better manager, but I probably wouldn't have bothered with the expense/hassle.

December 16, 2017, 03:19:20 PM
Reply #2

van der Meyde

Even before that, his first test will be the January transfer window. Will he bring in the usual lot of overpriced, good-in-a-relegation-dogfight mercenaries, or players who can take us forward, and be sold at a profit when we sell them?
This is more of a test of Walsh, surely.

Walsh championed Allardyce's appointment despite these questions.

Allardyce has outlined the recruitment process: Allardyce identifies areas he feels we're short. Walsh draws up a shortlist of players. They make a decision collectively.

There's no hiding behind the Walsh vs Koeman player dichotomy now. Let's judge the man who's employed to bring players in now, rather than blame everyone else for our recruitment failings, yeah?

December 16, 2017, 04:33:50 PM
Reply #3

van der Meyde

Since Allardyce is Walsh's choice, sure, they go hand in hand. Any failure to bring in the right players is a failure of both.
Knowing we would be able to just rip up the whole structure and start again in 18 months if it doesn't work out really did help me accept Allardyce's appointment. (Even if I was something of an Allardyce fan on a short term basis anyway.)

December 19, 2017, 06:46:33 PM
Reply #4

van der Meyde

Why do we need to spend big in January? We've only got 7th position to play for in the hope it might be a European place again and we should have enough in our squad to achieve that, seeing as 2/3 of the league are pretty poor and we're now organised and set up like a proper football team.
Not sure I have enough confidence in us to finish above Leicester just yet.

As for Burnley, I keep saying before their games they'll get beat and they keep picking up results. Last team to do that was Leicester when they won the league, so I should probably shut up about that.

December 19, 2017, 07:08:44 PM
Reply #5

van der Meyde

Don't get me wrong if a striker comes up on loan that looks hungry to make a World Cup squad for example then we'd be silly to turn it away but we don't need a repeat of the Sig transfer where we massively overpay when it's not necessary.
Oh yeah. I absolutely agree.

I probably think finishing 7th again is more important than a lot on here do. We shouldn't break the bank for it though.

December 24, 2017, 04:28:34 PM
Reply #6

van der Meyde

I believe that the best way for us to be a successful team, long term, is to be able to play football and control games and periods in games. Hoofball will get us to 7th fairly easily every season, but it's very unlikely to take us any higher than that (imo).

(Took me ages to get around to finish typing this up, but now everyone's already said basically the same thing... still posting it though. :))

I think this is pretty much the only explanation that gets me nodding along with the need to play a bit better.

In the main, I get my entertainment from the results. Two hours after the match, I don't care about the style if we've got a result. If we've lost though, the negativity stays with me for days (and this is only compounded by Twitter and messageboards).

Long term though, @Bluedylan is right, we will be in a much better position to compete for honours if we can keep the ball better in games like yesterday and away from home.

We restricted Chelsea and Liverpool to, in the main, pot shots. But they had so many of them that when they did beat Pickford we relied on them being cleared off the line or not hitting the target. You play those games over 10 times it's almost a coin flip on whether we lose or draw. The chances of us winning them are minimal.

I do think Allardyce has taken a reasonable course so far though. The fragility around the team - and around the crowd - was toxic.

Now we've become more solid, I'm hoping there'll be small improvements over the next couple of months and I'm hoping that will come with increased confidence too. I don't think drastic changes are needed personally either.

Pickford had plenty of opportunities for him to roll the ball out quickly to defenders  rather than launch it yesterday, but he didn't trust them not to lose it. As Schneiderlin becomes more positive, hopefully that will feed through to the rest. The centre halves who will play it to him, rather than Pickford etc.

A few small improvements like that will probably see us do a lot better as we have a lot of decent footballers. Hopefully Allardyce can implement them soon enough.

December 24, 2017, 07:04:52 PM
Reply #7

van der Meyde

Allardyce should be aiming for an Atlético style ultimately.

We’ve shown we can score decent goals so it’s a question of getting that out more often.

Whatever style though you need players who keep the ball in the final third; which we still lack in numbers.
Atletico is probably the best fit given Allardyce's strengths.

Tottenham, Chelsea, Mourinho's teams are all based on solid defences too though. Plenty of blueprints we can follow.

January 21, 2018, 02:20:14 AM
Reply #8

van der Meyde

I really don't get people who say not been good in transfer market since Moyes. Martinez had a much better transfer record, less money to spend, more profit and better players.
I just can't help asking for further specifics than a link because, you know, "any measure" is a bold claim.

How are you judging signing better players? The average player signed by Martinez was better than Moyes'? The ratio of hits to misses was better for Martinez? I suspect there are good arguments against Martinez

That more profit one... How are you adjusting for transfer fee inflation? Are you including wages? What are you doing with academy players?

Its nowhere near as cut and dried as you're pretty tending by pretending.

February 13, 2018, 04:55:51 PM
Reply #9

van der Meyde

We are 2 points off 7th now and since Allardyce took charge we are the 6th best side in the league in terms of points gained

This says a lot more about how bad everyone is outside that top 6 I think.

He's done the job asked and expected I suppose, but now it's time to give him his pay off and get a manager we don't all hate
We're only 6th if you include the West Ham match when Unsworth was manager. ;)

7th if you don't. If you extended his record over a 38 game season, we'd be on course to pick up ~56 points which is okay really.

February 15, 2018, 05:44:30 PM
Reply #10

van der Meyde

I can't be arsed with the cry-arsing about him, so that's enough for me to want him replaced tbh.

Seems like a few people will use any stick they can to beat him though. Crying that it'd be a different result if Mahrez or Zaha were playing, for fuck's sake, you can only beat what's in front of you and that luck works both ways. I guess all the other teams are lucky that we've had to play Martina at left back. I can play this game too, does Swansea beating Arsenal look worse because Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan weren't in the team? Of course it doesn't.

As for the suggestions that it's in his best interests to keep us below 40 points for as long as possible, do me a favour. It's not.

Is he the right man for us long term? Probably not. Do I want him here next season? Not particularly. But his record at Everton so far after 14 games (and having played 5 of the top 6) would see us pick up around 56 points which, while not a great performance, is nowhere near as bad as some are making it out to be.