November 17, 2018, 04:13:35 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 134729 times)

December 19, 2017, 07:28:40 PM
Reply #15

Lxxx

i'm not convinced west Brom & Bournemouth away should be considered "easy" games either.
Well if we're not looking at West Brom and Bournemouth as winnable games then we really shouldn't be turning up.

December 22, 2017, 08:20:53 PM
Reply #16

Lxxx

December 22, 2017, 10:03:12 PM
Reply #17

Lxxx

It wouldn't surprise me if he has sought and been given some professional PR advice in his time out of the game. The England debacle was quite ruinous for his reputation and he'll have been advised to press all the right buttons on his return to the game to maximise what he can get out of what is left of his career before retirement. I don't say that cynically it's just what I'd expect him to have done as he's clearly not as dumb as many make him out to be.

December 22, 2017, 11:09:22 PM
Reply #18

Lxxx

I don't know. He's been very popular at a lot of his clubs. Not sure he's doing anything differently here than he has elsewhere.

I think the media just went with the smear that the likes of wenger started. Hoofball, dinosaur, aggressive teams. The truth is he's a good tactitian and quite engaging and probably always was

I think he's been quite conciliatory with the media so far. He let his mouth get the better of him with the Marco Silva jibe, which was blown a little out of proportion, but I do detect a different tone from him so far, maybe because he sensed he wasn't a popular or first choice appointment both inside and outside the club. Might just be my reading of the situation.

December 24, 2017, 05:15:02 PM
Reply #19

Lxxx

And because to be a top six side you don't have Sam allardyce as manager

He's never had a crack at the top 6 in his career so he can't be judged on his inability to crack it until such a time. I was very sceptical about his appointment, more so because of how I perceive him as a person than his ability as a manager but to be fair I'll judge now as I find and so far I can't knock him.

You've been critical of Moyes, Koeman and now Allardyce on here with only our worst manager in the last decade, Martinez, being spared. I find that quite strange.   

December 24, 2017, 05:47:43 PM
Reply #20

Lxxx

You've missed my posts where I say we played attacking football but got webbed under him then. I find it quite strange that you would purposely ignore that post which was among the others you've clearly read.

I didn't see that post to be honest (and scrolling back still can't find it) but I think it's fair to say you've cut Martinez more slack than he was really due. Not got a problem with it as it's your perogative and we're all entitled to our opinion but I just find you writing off Allardyce so early in his tenure strange, as he should be given a fair crack of the whip to show what he can do. Once he's rebuilt our shattered confidence and moulded the squad to one he thinks can bring us more progressive football.   

December 24, 2017, 06:17:11 PM
Reply #21

Lxxx

Allardyce should be aiming for an Atlético style ultimately.

We’ve shown we can score decent goals so it’s a question of getting that out more often.

Whatever style though you need players who keep the ball in the final third; which we still lack in numbers.

Which is strange as Rooney and Sig are both very gifted technically and DCL has a great first touch but we can't keep hold of the ball for more than a few seconds in and around the business end of the pitch. Bolasie's return, whilst offering more going forwards, ultimately brings more unpredictability to our play as well. 

December 24, 2017, 06:27:56 PM
Reply #22

Lxxx

Is rooney technically gifted (and consistent) now. Pretty much every match thread has a good 30 minutes complaining about his passing

DCL is not a good premier league player currently either. His hold up play is very erratic

Bolaise while unpredictable will stretch teams and give space for others to play in. A quality target man will be the midfield up the pitch. Need a ball carrying playmaker too. Need Coleman back cos as good as JJK has been he's not got the same attacking threat

We'll be a much better team when this next window ends

Rooney's periods of slackness are due to lapses in concentration, not because he's suddently forgotten everything that made him one of the most gifted players of his generation.

December 31, 2017, 03:51:02 PM
Reply #23

Lxxx

All my life, up until very recently, I celebrated like a madman whenever we scored, I'd be fuming when we conceded and I'd be absolutely gutted if we lost a game. Probably the same with all of us.

But watching us approach games the way we are doing, against teams like West Brom and Bournemouth, it's sort of knocking the stuffing out of me. I'm not buzzing that much if we score, and I'm not all that gutted if we concede or lose, and I'm really not used to feeling like that. It's sucking the life out of watching Everton.

I know we've got limited players in some areas, and an unbalanced squad and all that but I really can't get too invested in watching us approach games like this. I'm trying to give Allardyce the benefit of the doubt but it's almost indefensible to go to 18th and 19th in the league, and set up the way we are.

Pretty much where I’m at.

Got asked if I fancied going a game in the new year and the thought of taking a day out and blowing over £100 on us with everything all in at the moment doesn't interest me in the slightest. Neither does turning on the laptop or the TV when w’re on.

I just thought it was age, family etc... which was causing me to feel this way, and it is to a certain extent, but previously I always found time for the blues. Now I can’t be arsed.

December 31, 2017, 08:08:06 PM
Reply #24

Lxxx

I don't actually think he'll consider he's done anything wrong at all though in the Bournemouth game. I kind of get the impression he thinks he knows more about football than everyone else put together and anyone who queries him must be stupid.

January 03, 2018, 05:17:52 PM
Reply #25

Lxxx

Is Schneiderlin as bad as some make out, or is he the latest whipping boy some people need to have?  I don't know.

Surely you have an opinion.

January 03, 2018, 08:37:30 PM
Reply #26

Lxxx

He is that bad. The Bournemouth first goal he turns and jogs half-heartedly back, not once glancing over his shoulder to see if the centre of the pitch is open should the ball be pulled back across. In the end he neither covers the centre or affects the play, just does his usual version of nothing.

January 03, 2018, 10:02:35 PM
Reply #27

Lxxx

Cannot understand how we come to pay far more wages than successful sides like Spurs and Arsenal. It justifies an investigation behind the scenes.

Arsenal's wage bill would far outstrip ours I imagine, Spurs I always assumed would be more but now I'm not so sure. Either way the desperation to bridge the gap is the reason for the outlay, the issue is what we have spent it on.

January 04, 2018, 05:08:31 PM
Reply #28

Lxxx

My disinterest started with the martinez era? Remember Kenwright "what a manager" interview as we sat about 14th in the league. Its been shit since moyes left.

Nah, we had one of the best seasons in recent decades in Martinez's first year. I wasn't one of his fans at all and I'm about as disinterested as you at the minute but let's not attempt to re-write history. 

January 04, 2018, 05:27:14 PM
Reply #29

Lxxx

Yeah that first season under Martinez was something else. I remember say there thinking this was just like watching Brazil. Oh little did we know the wheels were falling off

So frustrating. Watching Barkley and Lukaku blossom, fleeting bits of skill from Geri, seeing Stones coming through, watching McCarthy play like we've never seen again... The future looked rosy.  Now three have gone, one has a foot out the door and the other is a waste of space. We've also recouped £150m but haven't replaced them either.