October 22, 2018, 10:26:13 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 131517 times)

December 15, 2017, 06:37:19 PM
Read 131517 times

cantoffee

Done what he is known to do so far which is make us more organized and harder to beat.

The real test will be once we have our confidence back and he needs to get us playing better football, can he do that against the sides that will come to Goodison and park the bus?

Been good so far, but will reserve judgement to see what kind of football we are playing when we are more settled. Right now I'm still happy to see us be organized and hard to beat as we are still a little fragile.

December 31, 2017, 08:25:30 PM
Reply #1

cantoffee

I don't think it's the results that are causing the concern. I think it's that so far the results have be good given where we were but that what Sam has done is what we all knew he would be able to do. Make us tough to beat.

Now the concern is that he can't go beyond that. That was the biggest reservation for most people, he has a ceiling and we will remain tough to beat but unable to go beyond that. The way the last two games have played out is bringing out those fears.

He still needs time, a transfer window, and less fixture congestion to get his ideas across. It will be hard to keep fans onside with the footvall he is playing though and things could turn sour very quickly.

January 05, 2018, 08:57:35 AM
Reply #2

cantoffee

We seemed to score an unusual number of worldies that first season under Martinez. At the time I thought he just gave the players more freedom but I think part of it was luck and good form.

Unfortunately once the form of the players dropped off they no longer had the confidence to take on those shots anymore.

Also, in that first season Baines and Coleman were the best pairing of fullbacks in the league, Jags and Distin were both good and Stones was breaking through.

Not sure I buy that our defenders weren't good enough that year.

January 22, 2018, 08:05:19 PM
Reply #3

cantoffee

We've made up about 10 points on them and gone past them. That's vastly superior isn't it. Granted it's a very low bar
We've made up 6 points on them since Sam took over.

We actually made up as much ground under Unsworth as we did under Sam I believe.

January 22, 2018, 10:15:40 PM
Reply #4

cantoffee

Honestly we have enough pace now for the game we play. We don't press high up the pitch and we won't with Allardyce in charge so I'm not sure what he is talking about.

Both cover more than enough distance in a match and I wouldn't be surprised if Sig has covered more distance than any other player in the team this year.

If we play the right way the players we have in attacking positions are fine as we can always go with 2 out and out wingers in Bolasie and Walcott or move Sig outside depending on the opponent.

I do think that not having a left back who can get up the pitch makes us easier to defend against but that shouldn't mean we carry zero attacking threat.

First we just needed a new striker, then a new winger, now a new left back, a new CM. So many excuses for not being able to get competent players to play even mediocre football. It's pathetic.

February 16, 2018, 07:33:52 PM
Reply #5

cantoffee