December 16, 2018, 01:21:42 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 137643 times)

January 19, 2018, 05:46:21 PM
Reply #15

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
West Brom have won 1 away game all season scoring 6 goals on their travels, our home form is the 7th best in the league. We’ve got two new players making their home debuts and we clearly need to make amends for our latest away showing. Our home win shouldn't be in question and talk of relegation battles should be given the contempt it deserves.

That's, sort of, my entire point mate.

I'm not saying "i think we will get beat tomorrow". I'm saying that, on paper, tomorrow should be a banker. IF we get beat without having another shot on target, then that is such a shock that it is unavoidable that we will be looking at the fixture list without thinking "If we can't beat West Brom at home, where the fuck are these other 13 points going to come form"

January 19, 2018, 06:01:16 PM
Reply #16

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
What if we win tomorrow and get beat by Leicester on Wednesday Mick? Would it be panic over for a few days and back to panic on Thursday?

Or the other way around get beat tomorrow, start panicking, win Wednesday, no panic?

Say we beat both and lose to Arsenal would the Palace game at home be a must win 6 pointer even though we’d be on 33 points with 12 games to go?

No, if we won tomorrow and took 1 point from Leicester & Arsenal it wouldn't be a panic. because we would have proven we can beat the teams below us. Which is the entire point.

If we get beat without taking a shot, then can you see us getting a result at Leicester/Arsenal? That's my point.

and if we did - i would be assuaged like i was after West Ham/huddersfield.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:02:19 PM by Mick 1995 »

January 19, 2018, 06:41:51 PM
Reply #17

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
If we got beat tomorrow and then beat Leicester are you going to be thinking “where are these 10 points coming from?”?

I doubt it. The big picture like I said is we need less than a point a game, we’ve got 15 games to go and only need to reach 40 points for what’s generally consider the safety mark. We could lose our next two and beat Arsenal and still only require 10 points from the remaing 12 games.

Will we go unbeaten for the rest of the season? No. Should there be panic about relegation after every defeat? No not yet, certainly not from me when it’s only mid January.

Again, that's part of my point. If we can't beat west ham at home then how are we going to realistically expect to beat Leicester?
If we do then go and beat Leicester after losing to West Brom then yes, things actually happening results in normal people adjusting what they thing may happen in the future.

January 22, 2018, 02:38:58 PM
Reply #18

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Jesus, Rooney's problem in my opinion is he covers too much ground. Especially when we are behind/chasing a game.
You see the lad pop up in full back positions, the middle, off the shoulder of the striker. Everywhere except where he's meant to actually be playing.

Why? What's he done to suggest he's a good manager. Everyone is so unhappy with allardyce and yet in the same time we've made up about 10 points on Watford.
Won 1 in 11. We'd already be relegated if he'd come here and produced that form

So, let me get this straight. Allardyce gets credit for us making up the points, whilst it is simultaneously Silva's fault?

It genuinely can't be both.

January 25, 2018, 03:23:22 PM
Reply #19

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
There is one reason and one reason alone i wont call for him to be sacked before the summer.
I don't want Everton to have had 4 managers in a single season.

That's the only thing keeping him the only option.

I was massively astonished thta he signed an 18 month contract after publicy saying he didn't want to be "fireman Sam" and knowing just how desperate the club had seemed to have Become.
The one glimmer, the one tiny glimmer, of hope for me is that Moshiri has paid him a king's ransom and given him an extra 6 months so he gets a little backhander on the way out this summer and "the plan*" can continue forward in July.

*I am no longer sure this plan exists however.

January 25, 2018, 03:51:18 PM
Reply #20

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
From what's being reported and from a few ITK murmurings I think the wholes structure of the club will be a lot different come the summer.

Based on nothing but superficial skimming of rumours i have come to that conclusion myself.

Fair play, hopefully, Moshiri has had a plan, it hasn't worked out and so he is going to change it wholesale.
We would have had to find a way to make it work to avoid the cost of replacing it back in the day.

February 01, 2018, 04:32:10 PM
Reply #21

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
15pts from 11 games isn't relegation form. We're not going down.

Are you getting the champagne in and i'll bring those little pastries with mulch in them?
When are we having this "we won't actually get relegated amongst a sea of shit" party?

February 01, 2018, 05:09:41 PM
Reply #22

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Relegation was looking an ominous possibility under Koeman - just pointing out it looks highly unlikely now.
It sounds a bit arrogant calling half of the best league in the world 'shit' though?

Only as arrogant as thinking this is the best league in the world really.

February 01, 2018, 05:36:24 PM
Reply #23

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Both Germany and Spain have better leagues than here.
If you consider the potential for any team to beat any other then Holland, Italy and France are all similar.

If you dont think there is a huge gulf between the top 6 in this league and the other 14 then you're not paying attention (odd aberration of a result aside)

A good indicator of how good a depth a league has is looking at the Europa league. The only time England does well in that is when some of our top 6/champs league teams find themselves in it.

February 14, 2018, 09:13:26 PM
Reply #24

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
This is Watford we're talking about though. But the events that unfolded since definitely mean I don't want him as our manager if he can be affected that much.

And if we can get a better manager and some decent signings, we too can challenge the top echelons again.

All ifs and ands. This is the second season they'll have finished way off the pace. If they don't watch themselves, they too could end up sliding down further.

One of the, supposed, weakest players in their squad looks head-and-shoulders better than anything we have had in ours for a long while. (Odd exception aside).

It may be "top 5, then Arsenal, then the rest". But it is definitely not "Top 5 and then the rest"

February 14, 2018, 09:33:26 PM
Reply #25

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I said top 5, then Arsenal, then the rest though.

errrr,

as you were then people.
Nothing to see here.

February 15, 2018, 02:46:38 AM
Reply #26

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Sorry, I zoned out in disbelief when I read that staying up is par, followed by people asking what is wrong with par.

Either you guys or I do not know what par means or we have vastly different opinions on what par is for Everton.

7th is par currently, not staying fucking up lads.

If we finish 7th then he'll have done well due to the under-par start.

But fucking hell, come on lads. Let's not let his bullshit take our eyes off the goal or forget who we are.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:48:09 AM by Mick 1995 »

February 15, 2018, 02:50:53 AM
Reply #27

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
No @Lxxx was the one to vocalise it, then it seemed to just be accepted without challenge by anyone.

Not a dig @Lxxx , I buy what you're selling normally. That little scenario in this thread just made me take a second look. Then everyone seemed to agree. Couldn't believe it.

February 15, 2018, 02:08:54 PM
Reply #28

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Not that it matters, but I do seem to remember everybody having a laugh at the delusion of West Ham fans with their "Allardyce doesn't understand the West Ham way of playing football" excuse.

full on dose of Western Karma there.

March 02, 2018, 06:13:48 PM
Reply #29

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Is he really that wide of the mark with this statement though? Newcastle as a city and a club are notoriously delusional and West Ham have wealthy backers, a brand new stadium and a mouthy fanbase. I would imagine both of those clubs think 7th place is quite easily attainable and they'd both be right, in the right circumstances.
We're in the pack of mediocre clubs whether we like it or not and no-one, other than Evertonians, really think we've a right to be any better than the rest.

True to a point, and on the face of it correct.
But 7th isn't our "aim".

Both those clubs will have the same aspirations as us (they both want champs league football and to have a reasonable chance of mounting a league challenge). But they will still be looking at "get 7th and look to push on".

We are a step ahead of them. Or, we believed we were.