October 20, 2018, 06:23:31 PM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 131165 times)

December 10, 2017, 11:05:05 PM
Read 131165 times

Major Clanger

Tactically spot on off the ball.

On the ball there seemed no real plan.

Given where we were 3 weeks ago, I'd say this is fair enough. If we'll be in the same position 3 months later, that will be worrying.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

December 10, 2017, 11:06:28 PM
Reply #1

Major Clanger

the "on target" bit was a well-chosen statistic....

they had 23 shots

that's more wasteful than restricted

On the other hand, most of their shots were either wild, hopeful punts or blocked.

December 10, 2017, 11:09:11 PM
Reply #2

Major Clanger

yes, wasteful

Or well marshalled. It depends on your viewpoint really.

But no matter how well you keep your opponent at bay in general, having a Martina-shaped hole in your back 4 is always going to cause trouble. That's the immediate challenge.

December 14, 2017, 05:58:21 PM
Reply #3

Major Clanger

Yeah apparently doesn’t even coach that much himself, his team does all that.

Just like Ferguson :)

December 16, 2017, 01:58:37 AM
Reply #4

Major Clanger

Done what he is known to do so far which is make us more organized and harder to beat.

The real test will be once we have our confidence back and he needs to get us playing better football, can he do that against the sides that will come to Goodison and park the bus?

Been good so far, but will reserve judgement to see what kind of football we are playing when we are more settled. Right now I'm still happy to see us be organized and hard to beat as we are still a little fragile.

Even before that, his first test will be the January transfer window. Will he bring in the usual lot of overpriced, good-in-a-relegation-dogfight mercenaries, or players who can take us forward, and be sold at a profit when we sell them?

December 16, 2017, 03:25:52 AM
Reply #5

Major Clanger

He said he wanted the job, he said he was ready for the job

Yeah, and the board basically shrugged and said "you can try, but we won't give you any authority". It's like someone coming up to you and saying he's a good racing driver and you going "fine, but you'll have to do it without a car".

Don't get me wrong, getting someone else in was absolutely the right decision but the point is, we still don't know whether he'd be a good manager on a full time basis because as a caretaker with no power to decide players' future you're set up to fail. He should never have been given more than two or three games.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 03:36:25 AM by Major Clanger »

December 16, 2017, 03:39:45 PM
Reply #6

Major Clanger

This is more of a test of Walsh, surely.

Walsh championed Allardyce's appointment despite these questions.

Allardyce has outlined the recruitment process: Allardyce identifies areas he feels we're short. Walsh draws up a shortlist of players. They make a decision collectively.

There's no hiding behind the Walsh vs Koeman player dichotomy now. Let's judge the man who's employed to bring players in now, rather than blame everyone else for our recruitment failings, yeah?

Since Allardyce is Walsh's choice, sure, they go hand in hand. Any failure to bring in the right players is a failure of both.

February 15, 2018, 05:17:59 AM
Reply #7

Major Clanger

Not that it matters, but I do seem to remember everybody having a laugh at the delusion of West Ham fans with their "Allardyce doesn't understand the West Ham way of playing football" excuse.

February 18, 2018, 09:44:25 PM
Reply #8

Major Clanger

He's produced the worst Everton performance for years at Arsenal, Spurs a close second, lost to Bournemouth and drew with West Brom twice.

I think our memories are really short. The Arsenal performance wasn't even the worst performance against Arsenal this season.

It's pissing me off that he basically throws these games by playing a second-string team, but it's what he's always been doing.