April 21, 2018, 10:21:25 PM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 104012 times)

December 22, 2017, 09:51:29 PM
Reply #465

everton1952

I am really impressed by his latest press conference. What you see and hear from him is completely the opposite of the bad character shit which the media has pumped out for years and many of us took as gospel. Where there's smoke etc, etc.  He seems to have that kind of character and personality that players should give their best for. With the current standard of players we have in the squad I believe he is the man to get the most out of them.

December 22, 2017, 10:03:12 PM
Reply #466

Lxxx

It wouldn't surprise me if he has sought and been given some professional PR advice in his time out of the game. The England debacle was quite ruinous for his reputation and he'll have been advised to press all the right buttons on his return to the game to maximise what he can get out of what is left of his career before retirement. I don't say that cynically it's just what I'd expect him to have done as he's clearly not as dumb as many make him out to be.

December 22, 2017, 10:47:32 PM
Reply #467

KoemansNumberTens

It wouldn't surprise me if he has sought and been given some professional PR advice in his time out of the game. The England debacle was quite ruinous for his reputation and he'll have been advised to press all the right buttons on his return to the game to maximise what he can get out of what is left of his career before retirement. I don't say that cynically it's just what I'd expect him to have done as he's clearly not as dumb as many make him out to be.

I don't know. He's been very popular at a lot of his clubs. Not sure he's doing anything differently here than he has elsewhere.

I think the media just went with the smear that the likes of wenger started. Hoofball, dinosaur, aggressive teams. The truth is he's a good tactitian and quite engaging and probably always was

December 22, 2017, 10:52:11 PM
Reply #468

blue slug

Iíve always liked Sam as heís always come across quite well in my eyes, just the England thing made me think he was a bit crooked. Heís always done a good job with what heís got with the exception of maybe Newcastle but the way there run as a club and how there fans are itís a thankless task at best

December 22, 2017, 10:56:26 PM
Reply #469

Macca77

Hes give the players xmas day off, said he hated it when he was a player and doesn't see the point

December 22, 2017, 11:09:22 PM
Reply #470

Lxxx

I don't know. He's been very popular at a lot of his clubs. Not sure he's doing anything differently here than he has elsewhere.

I think the media just went with the smear that the likes of wenger started. Hoofball, dinosaur, aggressive teams. The truth is he's a good tactitian and quite engaging and probably always was

I think he's been quite conciliatory with the media so far. He let his mouth get the better of him with the Marco Silva jibe, which was blown a little out of proportion, but I do detect a different tone from him so far, maybe because he sensed he wasn't a popular or first choice appointment both inside and outside the club. Might just be my reading of the situation.

December 22, 2017, 11:10:41 PM
Reply #471

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
I am really impressed by his latest press conference. What you see and hear from him is completely the opposite of the bad character shit which the media has pumped out for years and many of us took as gospel. Where there's smoke etc, etc.  He seems to have that kind of character and personality that players should give their best for. With the current standard of players we have in the squad I believe he is the man to get the most out of them.
I was about to put something similar.  We all know every word has to be considered when talking to the media but he's one of the few managers who goes beyond just answering the question without first considering how little he can say in as few a words as possible!
Horror - to luke warm - to warm - anyone know where I can get a decent picture of him to hang on the wall?
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

December 23, 2017, 12:17:33 AM
Reply #472

GrantyBoy78

Just seems like a bloke thatís seen it all, is entirely comfortable with himself and is pretty much unflappable. Unassuming confidence rather than ego.

December 23, 2017, 12:24:42 AM
Reply #473

Bluedylan

Just seems like a bloke thatís seen it all, is entirely comfortable with himself and is pretty much unflappable. Unassuming confidence rather than ego.

Points taken but I defo think he's got a massive ego and a massive chip on his shoulder (rightly or wrongly).
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

December 23, 2017, 12:45:41 AM
Reply #474

KoemansNumberTens

Points taken but I defo think he's got a massive ego and a massive chip on his shoulder (rightly or wrongly).

Is it a chip when he's right. Done a good job everywhere he's been. Even the 1s you could maybe question became much worse sides for losing him. Yet look at the near fury on here when we appointed him. Corrupt, fat dinosaur. A new low in our history.
He's had a very good career in an elite position and he's treated by most football fans and the media like he's an idiot. I think he's right to feel put out by it

December 23, 2017, 01:11:12 AM
Reply #475

Simon Paul

Administrator
You know when you go for a job interview but think you've got no chance of getting the job but then know the answers to the questions?

That's how he comes across in his press conferences

December 23, 2017, 01:12:11 AM
Reply #476

Simon Paul

Administrator
Is it a chip when he's right. Done a good job everywhere he's been. Even the 1s you could maybe question became much worse sides for losing him. Yet look at the near fury on here when we appointed him. Corrupt, fat dinosaur. A new low in our history.
He's had a very good career in an elite position and he's treated by most football fans and the media like he's an idiot. I think he's right to feel put out by it

The biggest club he's managed is Newcastle before us. "Elite" is pushing it a huge amount. Even the England job isn't as big as the Everton job!

December 23, 2017, 01:17:21 AM
Reply #477

Shogun

Administrator
The biggest club he's managed is Newcastle before us. "Elite" is pushing it a huge amount. Even the England job isn't as big as the Everton job!

Jumped at the England job without a second thought for Sunderland.
Got sacked from England on the back of corruption allegations.
Ditched Crystal Palace seemingly because he couldn't be arsed.
Ends up with the biggest job in his career at Everton.

Football management is a piece of piss isn't it.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

December 23, 2017, 01:28:48 AM
Reply #478

Mayor Farnum

He's straightforward and honest, sometimes to his detriment, probably because it's so rare in football.

December 23, 2017, 01:39:22 AM
Reply #479

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I reckon he 'gets it' more than our recent managers have got it.