April 24, 2018, 02:38:22 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 104392 times)

December 24, 2017, 09:46:35 AM
Reply #510

Bluedylan

Gritty, not pretty - results first, entertainment second

Apart from City, who plays it pretty?

Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Bournemouth, Wolves. Probably a few others.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

December 24, 2017, 11:27:44 AM
Reply #511

BlueMaquis

I dunno, would a Chelsea fan have been all that entertained yesterday? They didn't exactly produce much, except failed attempt after failed attempt on goal.

December 24, 2017, 11:53:41 AM
Reply #512

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
I dunno, would a Chelsea fan have been all that entertained yesterday? They didn't exactly produce much, except failed attempt after failed attempt on goal.

I would love to watch Hazard week in and week out. What a player
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

December 24, 2017, 11:59:54 AM
Reply #513

Bluedylan

The season lasts longer than one game. I presume you watch football outside of Everton?

December 24, 2017, 12:38:56 PM
Reply #514

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Id say Chelsea play decent stuff because they have good players; not because of a fixation on playing stuff that is good to watch first and foremost.

December 24, 2017, 12:47:31 PM
Reply #515

KoemansNumberTens

Arsenal and Liverpool are both slaughtered for being soft defensively because of it. Bournemouth are shite and wolves are the Man City of the championship as they have some odd relationship that sees them getting champions league type players on loan

Does anyone play pretty football and get results that are comfortably better than their squads. Personally I think we can elevate a side with organisation and workrate. I'm not sure you can elevate them by asking them to be more talented than they actually are

December 24, 2017, 12:58:53 PM
Reply #516

Bluedylan

Id say Chelsea play decent stuff because they have good players; not because of a fixation on playing stuff that is good to watch first and foremost.

Agreed and neither do I have that fixation. I believe that the best way for us to be a successful team, long term, is to be able to play football and control games and periods in games. Hoofball will get us to 7th fairly easily every season, but it's very unlikely to take us any higher than that (imo).

December 24, 2017, 01:06:09 PM
Reply #517

KoemansNumberTens

Agreed and neither do I have that fixation. I believe that the best way for us to be a successful team, long term, is to be able to play football and control games and periods in games. Hoofball will get us to 7th fairly easily every season, but it's very unlikely to take us any higher than that (imo).

Think the only way to be a successful team is to have quality players. They aren't no successful teams that don't have great footballers.

December 24, 2017, 01:09:02 PM
Reply #518

Bluedylan

Does anyone play pretty football and get results that are comfortably better than their squads. Personally I think we can elevate a side with organisation and workrate. I'm not sure you can elevate them by asking them to be more talented than they actually are

Again I'm not wanting 'pretty' football, for the sake of it. We have plenty of talented footballers, and lots of resources now. If we end up taking the Moyesian damage limitation attitude to games against the big 6 for the next few seasons, 7th will be our ceiling.

Spurs play really attractive football and have punched massively above their weight relative to a miniscule net spend (1m between 2012-2016) by recruiting superbly, having a superb manager and developing young players. We really don't need to resort to lowest common denominator football.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 01:10:26 PM by Bluedylan »

December 24, 2017, 01:17:55 PM
Reply #519

BlueMaquis

The season lasts longer than one game. I presume you watch football outside of Everton?

Not really. Used to, but there's better things to do these days.

December 24, 2017, 01:22:32 PM
Reply #520

Bluedylan

Not really. Used to, but there's better things to do these days.

Fair enough.

December 24, 2017, 01:24:24 PM
Reply #521

KoemansNumberTens

Again I'm not wanting 'pretty' football, for the sake of it. We have plenty of talented footballers, and lots of resources now. If we end up taking the Moyesian damage limitation attitude to games against the big 6 for the next few seasons, 7th will be our ceiling.

Spurs play really attractive football and have punched massively above their weight relative to a miniscule net spend (1m between 2012-2016) by recruiting superbly, having a superb manager and developing young players. We really don't need to resort to lowest common denominator football.

Totally agree. Long term we have to have a go at the teams above us if we want to break their monopoly. I've zero issue with doing that using a quality targetman and some clever runners around him though.
Spurs are a little different in that they have a worldclass squad through brilliant transfer dealings. We do have some quality footballers but we are also missing large chunks of what makes a successful attack too.
Honestly think we'll do very well in the next couple of transfer windows. Think we'll try to add 2 or 3 standout flair players to go with what allardyce brings defensively. We will still be short of the 6 above us. We'll still play a little like we did yesterday and against Liverpool but we'll do it knowing we have a decent chance of fashioning a few chances at the other end too.

December 24, 2017, 01:40:00 PM
Reply #522

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
I think in order to keep the job past this season he will need to show signs of better football. But for now, a blueprint of beating all the shit teams and being solid and getting a point against the top 6 sides will be surprisingly effective at rocketing us up the table

Sam deserves the benefit of the doubt for now due to the sheer amount of games weve had in such a short space of time, the appalling form we had going into his appointment, the amount of injuries we have, the individual form of big chunks of the squad and the total lack of shape and defensive organisation we had prior to his apppointment

At the moment we really couldnt have played open attacking football and beaten Liverpool away and Chelsea at home. A point was good in both games given how often weve had a spanking at Anfield in recent years and how good the champions form has been in the last 10 matches

If Sam steers us to 7th and the team is more solid, with lots of young players having gained valuable first team minutes, then I think hes done a good job.

We will need to see better football if hes to take the job beyond next season though
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

December 24, 2017, 01:45:08 PM
Reply #523

Bluedylan

I think in order to keep the job past this season he will need to show signs of better football. But for now, a blueprint of beating all the shit teams and being solid and getting a point against the top 6 sides will be surprisingly effective at rocketing us up the table

Sam deserves the benefit of the doubt for now due to the sheer amount of games weve had in such a short space of time, the appalling form we had going into his appointment, the amount of injuries we have, the individual form of big chunks of the squad and the total lack of shape and defensive organisation we had prior to his apppointment

At the moment we really couldnt have played open attacking football and beaten Liverpool away and Chelsea at home. A point was good in both games given how often weve had a spanking at Anfield in recent years and how good the champions form has been in the last 10 matches

If Sam steers us to 7th and the team is more solid, with lots of young players having gained valuable first team minutes, then I think hes done a good job.

We will need to see better football if hes to take the job beyond next season though

Yep, agree with that and have said the same repeatedly (as has Allardyce). Lots of benefit of the doubt at the moment, but need to see real progress in the coming months and next season.

December 24, 2017, 02:07:07 PM
Reply #524

therealdunc

Arsenal - Im not so sure
Spurs - In spells
Liverpool - yes but only on the counter
Chelsea - yes

The thing with the above, they all have better players than Everton.

That is a major issue

Bournemouth are naive and not very attractive at all, they spend large parts of the game defending and winning the ball back because they leave themselves wide open and dont have the quality to break teams down

Wolves have spent a fortune for the championship and got into bed with a super agent.
Their team is far superior to the opposition
Blue