February 20, 2018, 01:46:01 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 70481 times)

Gash, KoemansNumberTens, GLewis, Dr. Sponge and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

January 05, 2018, 03:19:07 AM
Reply #795

JordanianEmbassy

You're right - my opinion is just an unpopular one. I don't think our defensive players at the time were good enough to take us to the next level and some of them are still here.

You won't see Guardiola or Klopp focus on defence too much either but they'll still win a lot of games, and in City's case trophies too. At the time, I felt our attacking players were being let down by our defensive players - a bit like the shite this season. 

Totally wrong about Guardiola. His Barca side worked just as hard to defend as they did to attack. They had a carefully thought out system for doing it as well.

January 05, 2018, 03:51:39 AM
Reply #796

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Agree with the fitness problems and if addressed, things could have been very different. Also think Evans would have been a huge upgrade on Jagielka/Distin.

Lukaku didn't mask chance creation issues. Lukaku was/is a great finisher, but very rarely did he create goals out of nothing. Arsenal (13-14), Chelsea (15-16) and City (16-17) off the top of my head in 4 seasons with us.

Worth noting we scored more than 2 of the top 6 in 2015-16. With a better quality of defender, on and off the ball, personally think things would have been different. As you say, recruitment was hit and miss and defence is probably where we struggled to recruit well. Jagielka and Distin weren't good enough to play the system well and Stones was just coming through.

i really like this guy. My new favourite poster
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

January 05, 2018, 05:48:03 AM
Reply #797

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Just reading osman saying martinez, the man who got Everton, wouldn't play him in a Derby cos he thought he would get too involved in the game.... Ffs, I'd rather eleven lads from Walton out there getting involved in the game than eleven fuckers who don't care

Simply simply lovely

January 05, 2018, 06:09:36 AM
Reply #798

Bally

Administrator
I look back on the Martinez reign with mainly fondness tbh.
I look back it with a black bag some bricks and a walk on the canal
It's the roll I way

January 05, 2018, 06:12:04 AM
Reply #799

Bally

Administrator
I like this guy. You spot on mate. I feel exactly the same. We should of stuck with him. All great managers have a period where fans want to get rid. They just need time. We needed better defenders and a better Centre midfielder but we were close.

Oh what could of been.
Fuck that
It's the roll I way

January 05, 2018, 06:30:09 AM
Reply #800

gizzblue

Yeah relegated without a cup ...that's were we would be been ......

Phenomenal.

January 05, 2018, 07:49:25 AM
Reply #801

Jamokachi

January 05, 2018, 08:57:35 AM
Reply #802

cantoffee

We seemed to score an unusual number of worldies that first season under Martinez. At the time I thought he just gave the players more freedom but I think part of it was luck and good form.

Unfortunately once the form of the players dropped off they no longer had the confidence to take on those shots anymore.

Also, in that first season Baines and Coleman were the best pairing of fullbacks in the league, Jags and Distin were both good and Stones was breaking through.

Not sure I buy that our defenders weren't good enough that year.

January 05, 2018, 12:56:14 PM
Reply #803

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
We seemed to score an unusual number of worldies that first season under Martinez. At the time I thought he just gave the players more freedom but I think part of it was luck and good form.

Unfortunately once the form of the players dropped off they no longer had the confidence to take on those shots anymore.

Also, in that first season Baines and Coleman were the best pairing of fullbacks in the league, Jags and Distin were both good and Stones was breaking through.

Not sure I buy that our defenders weren't good enough that year.

The long range shots thing was puzzling as I thought the same as you - but Iím sure I read that he didnít like long range shots as their conversion rate is so low (a bit like corners).

January 05, 2018, 12:58:31 PM
Reply #804

Shogun

Administrator
Can we stop talking about Martinez
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

January 05, 2018, 02:14:43 PM
Reply #805

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Works for Liverpool.
Impossible
When you sign for them you turn into a never walk alone singing bellend

Simply simply lovely

January 05, 2018, 04:34:04 PM
Reply #806

Juanito

Can we stop talking about Martinez

Thatís how depressingly bad and prehistoric Big Sam is, that we are reminiscing about Martinezís great season and ignoring the decable of the other season and a half where the players blew out of their arses after an hour. 

January 05, 2018, 04:45:46 PM
Reply #807

Lxxx

I think the nostalgia of players actually passing the ball to each other has left some a bit misty-eyed after watching the past half a dozen games.

January 05, 2018, 06:12:30 PM
Reply #808

Ridge

Under Martinez first season he inherited an aging, shit team, no money, he made £15m profit and reduced wages, then got 7 points(10%) more than any other season in last 30 years. He left far more than he inherited, we got nearly £200m for Stones, Lukaku and Barkley. He didn't get a window with Moshiri's money, despite his arrival raising expectations even further. He was sacked because we weren't going to get CL football and the wheels had fully come off, but we needed a window to change things. Martinez planned over longer term and was almost willfully blind to short term problems.

Since then we had 7th is good for Everton and now it's about survival. We've had the £200m+ from his player sales, we've spent money on top of that and it looks like a pile of turds again. Moyes, Koeman and Allardyce are all older generation of managers, they all want those special players, but we never seem to have any. Under Martinez he'd be delighted with a turd, if it was the best turd we had, look at it glisten, tremendous.

If Martinez took over now, he'd put Pickford, Kenny, Holgate, Baningime, Vlasic, Lookman, DCL, Sandro in the team and wax lyrical, but they would be supported and develop into very good players by next season. Instead we'll crowbar Sigurdsson, Keane into teams that are playing well and keep returning to unorganised confusion, and bending over when going to big teams. Martinez would trade blows with anyone, in their own backyard, his fearlessness was often seen as carelessness. I think bravery is a key ingredient for the very best managers and I saw that in Unsworth and Kenwright, I don't see that in Allardyce or Moshiri.

January 05, 2018, 06:29:07 PM
Reply #809

Lxxx

Under Martinez first season he inherited an aging, shit team, no money, he made £15m profit and reduced wages, then got 7 points(10%) more than any other season in last 30 years. He left far more than he inherited, we got nearly £200m for Stones, Lukaku and Barkley. He didn't get a window with Moshiri's money, despite his arrival raising expectations even further. He was sacked because we weren't going to get CL football and the wheels had fully come off, but we needed a window to change things. Martinez planned over longer term and was almost willfully blind to short term problems.

Since then we had 7th is good for Everton and now it's about survival. We've had the £200m+ from his player sales, we've spent money on top of that and it looks like a pile of turds again. Moyes, Koeman and Allardyce are all older generation of managers, they all want those special players, but we never seem to have any. Under Martinez he'd be delighted with a turd, if it was the best turd we had, look at it glisten, tremendous.

If Martinez took over now, he'd put Pickford, Kenny, Holgate, Baningime, Vlasic, Lookman, DCL, Sandro in the team and wax lyrical, but they would be supported and develop into very good players by next season. Instead we'll crowbar Sigurdsson, Keane into teams that are playing well and keep returning to unorganised confusion, and bending over when going to big teams. Martinez would trade blows with anyone, in their own backyard, his fearlessness was often seen as carelessness. I think bravery is a key ingredient for the very best managers and I saw that in Unsworth and Kenwright, I don't see that in Allardyce or Moshiri.

Some good points but cherry-picking perceived pluses of a Martinez reign whilst neglecting to mention all the negatives doesn't lead to a balanced argument.