August 16, 2018, 08:46:41 PM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 123086 times)

January 14, 2018, 08:42:35 PM
Reply #1020

Faceatthefence

All the top managers will turn on their team occasionally if they feel it necessary.  Ferguson did it quite a lot.  Even slagged his Aberdeen team after they won the UEFA cup or whatever it was back then.  It becomes a problem if you have to do it repeatedly.

You,ll find that SA has history in various clubs for his team dissecting when his methods have failed,im all for constructive criticism and considering the pile of sawdust and splinters he,s inherited we really cant expect him to create a test bat.That said he,s certainly not blameless in recent performances i think the transition from all out defending to getting across the half way line is his Achilles.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:18:05 PM by Faceatthefence »
Night comes down and finds you alone
In a space and time of your own
Lost in dreams in world full of shadows.

January 14, 2018, 08:47:11 PM
Reply #1021

gizzblue

It must come with age then ....perhaps Sam will be more player protective when he's 85 .👍

January 14, 2018, 08:47:57 PM
Reply #1022

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Heís only been in the team 12 months!

Guess itís 3 managers in that time but it seems a bit crazy.

Fuck me really? I suppose he only got in the side half a season in and weíre half a season in now.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 14, 2018, 09:52:17 PM
Reply #1023

Lxxx

I suppose the bigger picture in football these days is how do you motivate a group of millionaire sportsmen. This is the fourth manager that this group of players have look disinterested for and folded on a regular basis. Looking across the league managers are getting the boot after less and less time as players grow tired of the same voice in charge it seems.

Pochettino seems to take the approach that younger players are hungrier and easier to motivate so he'll put his faith in them, knowing they're probably ultimately playing for a move to a bigger club for more money but he accepts that and rebuilds each time. He also bases his team approach around the superior fitness younger players have so he'll have them pressing across the park, passing and moving and bombing up and down the flanks. Not too dissimilar to Pep. We seem to have gone totally the other way with a group of slow players who fold like a pack of cards.

January 14, 2018, 10:05:26 PM
Reply #1024

Bluedylan

Would Pepís man management make Martina a better player with a wand of a left foot? Sorry for being facetious but I donít think Pep has the same problems as Sam.

I think there is far too much emphasis placed on management, tactics, formations etc.

Itís about having quality players.

The league table nearly always runs in order of squad ability. Nearly.

But itís an easier narrative to make the manager the scapegoat (and rightly so in some circumstances, thatís what they get paid for) than blame the squad. After-all, itís easier to replace one man that 25.

Those who think Sam is the issue will be in for a shock when the next guy fails and the one after him.

Why hasn't Allardyce, the manager, bought a left back in the last two weeks?
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

January 14, 2018, 10:06:47 PM
Reply #1025

Mayor Farnum

Lost me when he started blaming players .

A bad workmen blamed his tools  an all that .
Real quality managers protect the team not criticise it publicly .
Alex Ferguson was brilliant at deflecting shite from his team then thrashing them soundly behind closed doors  .
Bobby Robson was the same ,Pep is the same all the good quality ones are the best man managers .

Sam falls way short in this and so many areas .imho.

Ferguson had the best players and the best squad. There was absolutely nothing to gain for his players by pissing about. They would be replaced by another international and could miss out on some very big matches and titles. Ferguson was not afraid to get rid of players he felt were not pulling their weight, Stam, Ince, Kanchelskis and Parker spring to mind. Sam simply does not have that luxury with the shit squad he inherited.

January 14, 2018, 10:41:31 PM
Reply #1026

GrantyBoy78

Why hasn't Allardyce, the manager, bought a left back in the last two weeks?
Is that a joke?

January 14, 2018, 10:45:40 PM
Reply #1027

Bluedylan

Is that a joke?

Why would it be? It's commonly known that we have one capable left back at the club. Allardyce came in a good few weeks ago, before the window opened.

You're saying he isn't a miracle worker, so how can he do anything with Cuco Martina, which is a fair point. So why hasn't it been identified and addressed by this incredible, ground breaking leader of men?
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

January 14, 2018, 11:04:41 PM
Reply #1028

gizzblue

Why would it be? It's commonly known that we have one capable left back at the club. Allardyce came in a good few weeks ago, before the window opened.

You're saying he isn't a miracle worker, so how can he do anything with Cuco Martina, which is a fair point. So why hasn't it been identified and addressed by this incredible, ground breaking leader of men?
That wouldn't be scientificly sports oriented to just buy what you need he's the top man two decades ago in that field...don't you know.

January 14, 2018, 11:14:43 PM
Reply #1029

mikey_blue

No but my half joking point proves that a man who cant get into Chelsea's team playing in a similar position as Davies for Palace is better than him.

He is 2/3 years older than Tom Davies. 2.5 years is a huge amount of time when it comes to development.

January 14, 2018, 11:19:35 PM
Reply #1030

GrantyBoy78

If you honestly believe we havenít signed a LB because SA thinks we donít need one (and it has nothing to do with the ineptitude of our DoF/board) then your anti-Allarydce agenda has clouded your ability to reason.

January 14, 2018, 11:43:16 PM
Reply #1031

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
He is 2/3 years older than Tom Davies. 2.5 years is a huge amount of time when it comes to development.

Yeah but wait until you hear about Marc Albrighton

January 14, 2018, 11:43:37 PM
Reply #1032

Thomas

They have what they want lad. Where back to plucky, hard working and basic Everton again. Big Sam is everything tbey dreamed of, so much so they cannot see beyond him. Its pointless trying to get them to see otherwise

January 15, 2018, 12:09:27 AM
Reply #1033

Thomas

He tries to pass forward and has a nice weight of pass in the final third.

He can dribble and has a knack for winning fouls.

He helps drive us forward when he's on the pitch.

He has a snide, competitive edge to his game, which is an attitude we sorely lack.

Oh, and he's only 19.

Yeah, he has some rough edges, but if we're giving up on players from our own academy who've been on the pitch  with the first team and looked like they've belonged then I fucking quit.
Ross Barkley had all that and more and is now playing for the reigning champions, yet a lot of our fans gave him a really hard time yet have a complete love in with Tom Davies. Why?

January 15, 2018, 12:24:55 AM
Reply #1034

everton1952

Don't know anyone who loves Tom, or even wants him in our team. We have enough half polished gems as it is without adding him to the list. As for Barkley I didn't know he is playing for the Champions.  He has not reached their bench yet, and for all we know may never get into the first team. I heard a rumour that he might go on loan to Bournemouth, if he ever gets fit that is.