August 16, 2018, 10:35:49 PM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 123100 times)

January 15, 2018, 09:21:22 PM
Reply #1065

therealdunc

Reserve judgement until October 2018.
This

6 weeks with a heavy schedule  is not long enough to judge a new manager.

People who hate what they wrongly think Big Sam represents have an agenda
Blue

January 15, 2018, 09:24:02 PM
Reply #1066

Ross

This

What does Allardyce “represent”?
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

January 15, 2018, 09:25:05 PM
Reply #1067

therealdunc

A 2018/19 league challenge, win a cup and back into Europe the year after
Blue

January 15, 2018, 09:27:33 PM
Reply #1068

Waltzer

This

I was all up for giving Sam a good crack and do think he is a little underestimated, but you're on a hiding to nothing when you come out and say your game plan is to be even more negative when your team has had 1 shot on goal in 4 games.
He has a responsibility, not only to keep us in the league, but also to entertain the loyal fan base we have. I think comments like his will be the nail in his coffin as I think Moshiri wants to see the free flowing styles like City and them across the park. He'll finish the season but I think we'll go out and get someone Fonseca during the summer.

January 15, 2018, 09:27:36 PM
Reply #1069

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
A 2018/19 league challenge, win a cup and back into Europe the year after

Well the third flows from the first two so I assume the only reason you mention it is because you’ve already given up on Big Sam taking us to the giddy heights of 7th this season...

January 15, 2018, 09:27:37 PM
Reply #1070

Ross

Should have known better I suppose.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

January 15, 2018, 09:28:57 PM
Reply #1071

therealdunc

I was all up for giving Sam a good crack and do think he is a little underestimated, but you're on a hiding to nothing when you come out and say your game plan is to be even more negative when your team has had 1 shot on goal in 4 games.
He has a responsibility, not only to keep us in the league, but also to entertain the loyal fan base we have. I think comments like his will be the nail in his coffin as I think Moshiri wants to see the free flowing styles like City and them across the park. He'll finish the season but I think we'll go out and get someone Fonseca during the summer.

Please post a link to when sam said more negative?

Blue

January 15, 2018, 09:33:57 PM
Reply #1072

Waltzer

Please post a link to when sam said more negative?

So we were adventurous against Spurs and Liverpool with 1 shot in 180 minutes!!?

"I was going to shore it up like Moyesy [West Ham manager David Moyes] did because I watched the game [the 1-1 draw at Wembley] and thought what a great job they had done on Tottenham defensively.

"But then again I reverted back to our Liverpool performance... If you can play like that at Liverpool and just at the death get beat, surely you can come here to Tottenham and deliver the same performance and maybe get a result.

"Maybe I have a bit of responsibility by playing too much attacking-minded players and not as many defending-minded players. I should have got back to being a bit more boring and a bit less adventurous."

January 15, 2018, 09:41:17 PM
Reply #1073

UnsyisaRhino

We were more adventurous, it just didnt work.

Bolasie had one of those games, rooney did well but not in dangerous areas and our final delivery was poor from both full backs and wingers.

As a team we had probably 5 or 6 good oppprtunities (which isnt good enough) to hurt them...without making it count.

We almost got caught in two minds and werent attacking enough to really put them under pressure or defensive enough to keep them out.

I dont think we have the ability, pace or energy levela to play the way we tried to play.

A performance similar to the Chelsea one qould have been more effective if awful to watch.

January 15, 2018, 11:08:36 PM
Reply #1074

everton1952

Is Fronseca a magician or a football manager? Just asking.

January 15, 2018, 11:27:01 PM
Reply #1075

Heisenberg

I cant believe we're still trying to shoehorn number 10's in at left wing about 7 years after letting Pienaar go to Spurs. How has nobody noticed this is an issue. Doesn't take a sports scientist to notice the inbalance. Also on the sports science stuff. A good student of the statistics wouldn't combat the 0 shots on target with "we need to play more boring". Allardyce is a bigger bullshitter than Martinez

January 15, 2018, 11:42:28 PM
Reply #1076

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Think he may have flapped his big chance tbh.

Imo knows it’s a short term role so he’s just fucking about and trying to manage expectations and not damage his rep.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 15, 2018, 11:48:26 PM
Reply #1077

mikey_blue

Imo knows it's a short term role so he's just fucking about and trying to manage expectations and not damage his rep.

Not convinced it was ever a real chance too he honest. When Moshiri was interviewed and he said he was brought in to steady the ship or words to that effect. It sounded to me as if it was a avoid relegation stop gap. Fully expect him to be gone in the summer. Hopefully with a replacement, like.

January 15, 2018, 11:49:22 PM
Reply #1078

gizzblue

Imo knows it's a short term role so he's just fucking about and trying to manage expectations and not damage his rep.
Way too late for that .

January 15, 2018, 11:56:12 PM
Reply #1079

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
We were more adventurous, it just didnt work.

Bolasie had one of those games, rooney did well but not in dangerous areas and our final delivery was poor from both full backs and wingers.

As a team we had probably 5 or 6 good oppprtunities (which isnt good enough) to hurt them...without making it count.

We almost got caught in two minds and werent attacking enough to really put them under pressure or defensive enough to keep them out.

I dont think we have the ability, pace or energy levela to play the way we tried to play.

A performance similar to the Chelsea one qould have been more effective if awful to watch.
I think what makes it worse for everyone is that opinions on how we should or shouldn't play, opinions on what players can and can't do at the moment through ability age or recovering from injury and the strong feelings provoked by the appointment  of Sam are all mixed up together. Someone has to sort it out and the 'back to basics' part of Sam''s interview is probably what is needed. 
For what it's worth I thought the first half at Wembley was largely 'ok', not special, but given the limitations with players at the moment plus Sam wanting to see as many of them in action as possible I've seen a lot worse. The second half was dire.
Despite unanimous agreement that up till the transfer window the weakest part of a poor team was the attack and lack of quality we should rely on it more. We did in the cup and we tried to on Saturday and we lost both. However,  if we revert back to the old adage that you build a team from the back and concentrate on not losing for a few weeks we will all be disappointed!
I still come back to what I've asked before -given the disaster that has been our on the field performances under Koeman what can one realistically expect from any new manager in 7 weeks without new blood in the team?
Sam may not be the choice of the majority but perhaps his Base of 'defend and don't lose' is exactly what we need at the moment. The medicine may taste bad but if it helps us recover then I won't complain. Longer term - well, who knows?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 11:58:22 PM by Shropshire Blue »
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.