September 22, 2018, 09:57:48 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 127213 times)

February 20, 2018, 10:33:06 PM
Reply #45

Mayor Farnum

If you read my earlier post ....I actually said nobody will argue Niasse is our best form Striker ...but until he gets minutes nobody can say wether Tosun will be berty big balls or not ....lots of stories saying he's a good finisher but who really knows ?...and how do you get up to speed in a league sitting on the bench ?.

No, until he gets minutes we can't speculate on the size of his balls. However, those who see him everyday in training and whose ultimate responsibility is the whole team will be in a better position to assess his readiness. 

February 20, 2018, 11:22:08 PM
Reply #46

Mayor Farnum

Like I said though how do you get up to speed training or on the bench ..... much like Klassen and others it wont wotk that way ....every other team buys players to play them ...no?.

There's no rush, our situation is no longer desperate and he will play plenty of times between now and the end of the season. If easing him in benefits him long term then so be it. Big Sam is not going to make decisions to try and make himself popular.

February 21, 2018, 12:09:16 AM
Reply #47

Mayor Farnum

Big Sam only ever does anything to make himself appear in a good light. He's an incredibly vein, insecure man. It's one of his defining characteristics.
  So how is holding back on playing a new signing putting himself in a good light?

February 21, 2018, 12:24:12 AM
Reply #48

Mayor Farnum

I'm not commenting on him playing/not playing Tosun. I'm speaking generally. He cares massively about he's perceived. I'd imagine even most of his fans would acknowledge that.

Oh sorry it was the "only ever does anything" that threw me off. I don't see how his liking for himself differs much from a lot of managers and neither does it interfere with the job he's doing for us.   

February 21, 2018, 12:37:24 AM
Reply #49

Mayor Farnum

Still think koeman would have turned it around.

Yes I'm sure he would. He was never getting the time from Evertonians though so action had to be taken.

February 21, 2018, 02:41:49 AM
Reply #50

Mayor Farnum

Because he's publicly slagging the lad saying he's not up to it. When he does play Tosun if he fails then he can say I told you so and if he tears it up he can say the wait to bed him in was warranted. Now this all may be valid but I expect he'll milk it, his ego will demand it.

"Publicly slagging" Why do football fans have to be so dramatic when they hear something they don't like?

February 24, 2018, 06:18:53 PM
Reply #51

Mayor Farnum

Just watched the prematch interview and his answers are of a man who is perfectly happy with mediocrity ,happy to win one of six away games ,happy to finish seventh ,happy to lose to Arsenal and Spurs ,what the board think is only for them to know but if they are happy with him ,we are fucked .Will we go down no but we probably wouldn't have anyway ,the oaf is basking in the glory of being Everton's manager but never says anything that portrays a fondness for the club . Cannot wait to see the end of him.
I know. Fuckin' Allardyce. We've bought all the players the top six didn't want and the rest can't afford an all he looks capable of doing is finishing seventh.

February 24, 2018, 06:33:10 PM
Reply #52

Mayor Farnum

If thatís just how football works how did Leicester win the league the year before last?

I don't know but to be fair I don't think they know themselves. We'll get through a few managers in the next few years if we sack them each time they finish outside the top six.

February 24, 2018, 07:46:05 PM
Reply #53

Mayor Farnum

It's not just that though is it, and you know it. It's about his small time approach, his willingness to write off games altogether, his inability to stick with a winning team, his shameless self-aggrandisement.

If you're going to criticise an argument which you oppose, you should at least to attempt to reflect the argument properly. This misrepresentation is a bit cheap.

Really? I didn't address the points were the poster claimed Big Sam was happy to lose to Spurs and Arsenal and happy to win one game in six because no-one, apart from those unwilling to give him a chance, think that at all.
Happy to finish seventh? Yes. Happy at the circumstances that mean it'll be that way for a while? No.
Make an argument for us to finish in the top six and then we can see if he's up to the job. 

February 24, 2018, 08:36:38 PM
Reply #54

Mayor Farnum

With the financial backing we have, and the squad of players our ambition should be to get into the top six.

Or do you believe we should just accept mediocrity, keep Sam in and just be happy we're still in the premier league?

When I see proof of the financial backing I may change my mind. But we have zero pull for top quality players so unless we can financially compensate them in the same way Chelsea and City did in their early days of being big boys we won't be challenging the current top clubs.
A case in point is Lukaku. We offered him 110 grand a week, post Moshiri joining, and that is nowhere near his market value.
Show me the money!

February 24, 2018, 09:23:43 PM
Reply #55

Mayor Farnum

How does a club in our position get those players the top clubs DO want? If we can't get them who is left EXCEPT the players the top clubs don't want?

We don't. That's my point. Whoever is the manager he will be faced with the same, currently insurmountable, problems Sam faces.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:25:28 PM by Mayor Farnum »

February 25, 2018, 11:31:40 PM
Reply #56

Mayor Farnum

I think he's capable of showing better than he has but it looks unlikely now. Yesterday was difficult to defend other than say the players are playing for the end of the season as we aren't even close enough to the relegation battle to inspire more spirited performances.
We will get some decent performances at home but I'd wouldn't be surprised if we didn't win away again this season.
But it should also be acknowledged that since the start of the Premier League we've put in as many, if not more, performances away from home like yesterday's than good ones.
Most of the problems facing Big Sam were here before he came; but I do acknowledge that he's not looked like solving any of them.

February 26, 2018, 03:40:39 AM
Reply #57

Mayor Farnum

Just another symptom of Everton. All the drawbacks of being a big club without any of the advantages. Big enough to attract the players that the also-rans can't afford but we have to pay high transfer fees and wages for players that still aren't going to impact on the top six. Big enough to be taken seriously by the top clubs in cup competitions so we are more or less out once the draw has been made.
Big enough to garner expectations from the fan base, but that same expectation weighs too heavily on players that are not good enough to deliver, and leads to frustration in the crowd that makes Goodison a harder place for the players to flourish.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:42:58 AM by Mayor Farnum »