August 17, 2018, 11:09:36 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 123253 times)

January 26, 2018, 03:30:30 AM
Reply #1710

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
There can't be many who have an issue around getting the ball forward early..... As long as it has a point
Banging percentage balls (as we are) is awful to watch

Id have nothing agaisnt us playing it into tosun or Walcott feet and then us playing from there, hell it would even look like a plan
Simply simply lovely

January 26, 2018, 04:02:51 AM
Reply #1711

eyesalwaysblue

Wouldn't  be against anything ..but a lot of the players are shit...fair stumbling block
I still despise Clive Thomas..

January 26, 2018, 04:37:14 AM
Reply #1712

eyesalwaysblue

Wouldn't  be against anything ..but a lot of the players are shit...fair stumbling block
Could we claim on shit recruitment  insurance.com/last2managers.co.uk/andpossibly this1.org/
I still despise Clive Thomas..

January 26, 2018, 07:38:50 PM
Reply #1713

Mayor Farnum

We played lovely football under Moyes in the later years and under Martinez initially. What's your point? Do you not like attractive football? Your attitude is really weird. 

My point being that eight games is not enough to judge a manager. I sighted the example of our greatest ever manager who for two years couldn't get a decent performance out of his players but turned things around very quickly playing a similar style that many on here seem to think is below Everton standards.

January 26, 2018, 07:44:06 PM
Reply #1714

Lxxx

My point being that eight games is not enough to judge a manager. I sighted the example of our greatest ever manager who for two years couldn't get a decent performance out of his players but turned things around very quickly playing a similar style that many on here seem to think is below Everton standards.

I take your point but over 30 years ago??

January 26, 2018, 07:47:21 PM
Reply #1715

Mayor Farnum

I take your point but over 30 years ago??
Yes I agree that is could be leveled at Sam that the style is outdated; but I still think it's too soon to judge when there is no way we can compete with the top teams on their terms.

January 26, 2018, 07:49:38 PM
Reply #1716

Lxxx

Yes I agree that is could be leveled at Sam that the style is outdated; but I still think it's too soon to judge when there is no way we can compete with the top teams on their terms.

If we're not going to compete on their terms I can guarantee we won't be causing them any more problems playing 6/7 men behind the ball and knocking it towards the corner flag and hoping for the best.

January 26, 2018, 10:06:50 PM
Reply #1717

gizzblue

But is it not also true that under Sam we cant compete with the bottom teams on their terms either .

His lack of tactical awareness is starting to make R.M. and R.K look like Alex Ferguson by comparrison.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:07:57 PM by gizzblue »

January 26, 2018, 10:32:05 PM
Reply #1718

Cereal Killer

We've been making some of the worst teams in the league look fucking amazing as well, so we can't compete with them either, which generally means we're Championship standard.... clearly all the players aren't, so where does the fault lie?

January 26, 2018, 11:13:46 PM
Reply #1719

everton1952

Koeman and Walsh I suppose. Allardyce was not invited to join a winning team going upwards and improve on it. He was supposed to dig us out of the grave we were heading into.  Not certain yet whether he will succeed. If we end up getting buried anyway then he will have failed. Something had to be tried said most people except Koeman lovers of which there were very few by the time of Southampton away.

January 26, 2018, 11:27:41 PM
Reply #1720

kramer0

Koeman and Allardyce aren't great managers but they're not bad either. I think our main issue is that it's really hard to put a coherent eleven together with the squad we have.

Koeman and Allardyce (and Walsh) probably deserve more blame for targeting the wrong the types of players than for match-to-match tactics. We keep buying "goal scorers" (Klaassen, Sandro, Rooney, Sigurdsson, Tosun, Walcott) with little thought given to where they're getting the ball from. Put a good midfield passer and good attacking full backs in the team and I bet we look alright.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:28:47 PM by kramer0 »

January 26, 2018, 11:29:11 PM
Reply #1721

everton1952

Over to you Sam.

January 27, 2018, 04:50:48 AM
Reply #1722

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Koeman and Allardyce aren't great managers but they're not bad either. I think our main issue is that it's really hard to put a coherent eleven together with the squad we have.

Koeman and Allardyce (and Walsh) probably deserve more blame for targeting the wrong the types of players than for match-to-match tactics. We keep buying "goal scorers" (Klaassen, Sandro, Rooney, Sigurdsson, Tosun, Walcott) with little thought given to where they're getting the ball from. Put a good midfield passer and good attacking full backs in the team and I bet we look alright.

Mans need a xgchain merchant yaknow.

In all honesty - not sure style is the issue. Teams can play defensive, counter attacking or generally solid with well timed pressing tactics and not be quite so ugly AND ineffective as we are.

Look at United, Chelsea, Atletico or even fucking Leicester...They don’t play beautiful futbol, but it’s effective and it’s often overpowering and it provides lots of decisive moments (@glewis) and that matters a lot.

Unfortunately, as @si says, people will put up with ugly togger as long as you get results, but ugly, ineffective togger is an absolute soul sapper.

It’s not the style, it’s how effective we are at the style. Despite having the most deep block long ball set piece territory up the pitch in the mixer on me ead manager in the fucking game - we can’t get near the opposition and we can’t get on the ball and we can’t make a chance and we can’t keep the ball out our own fucking net for two minutes.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 27, 2018, 05:21:44 AM
Reply #1723

everton1952

Everyone knows players have the upper hand. Whether they play or not they are multi millionaires. What if EFC have a number of players who do not give a shite, those who are regularly criticised on here for example. These are players on bigger contracts than they would ever get anywhere else given their abilities. How does Allardyce or any manager get them to try harder if they are already in the team, or to get into it if they aren't? What if nobody these days bangs on the manager's door  asking to play and promising to give 100%? They have no incentive to do so, at least not until near their contract runs out. This fit of gloom is the result of a couple of hours talking with Everton fans in the alehouse. They are convinced that we have lumbered ourselves with a load of players going nowhere but very well paid for doing it. A big stick won't work, so what will?

January 27, 2018, 05:39:16 AM
Reply #1724

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Everyone knows players have the upper hand. Whether they play or not they are multi millionaires. What if EFC have a number of players who do not give a shite, those who are regularly criticised on here for example. These are players on bigger contracts than they would ever get anywhere else given their abilities. How does Allardyce or any manager get them to try harder if they are already in the team, or to get into it if they aren't? What if nobody these days bangs on the manager's door  asking to play and promising to give 100%? They have no incentive to do so, at least not until near their contract runs out. This fit of gloom is the result of a couple of hours talking with Everton fans in the alehouse. They are convinced that we have lumbered ourselves with a load of players going nowhere but very well paid for doing it. A big stick won't work, so what will?

Well, why doesn’t every club that gives players big wages have that problem?

And if that is our problem - what is the root of that problem?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.