December 16, 2018, 06:49:00 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 137705 times)

February 04, 2018, 11:16:39 PM
Reply #1920

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Part of my point is that those “ifs” almost never happen.

And “almost” is probably being kind.

As we are currently seeing!

February 04, 2018, 11:24:06 PM
Reply #1921

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I personally didn’t have a problem with how we played under RK, well in that run of Home games at least.

But I think for the best chance of getting the crowd on side is your current higher pressing type approach.

Which should tie into being able to play younger players who a) can do it physically and b) are more malleable.

Although even using the team from the Leicester game, none of them would be against high energy approaches (Rooney legs aside) so don’t think it’d be a massive / impossible leap.

Does feel like the in thing and there’s lots of good sides doing it.

If we can recruit well enough to it then no problem with that. I think fonseca is in that kind of area.

P.s any sort of bang average sides doing it? Like our kind of level? Should be Europa kind of teams.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 11:26:41 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 04, 2018, 11:24:14 PM
Reply #1922

Bluedylan

I'd still happily take Silva personally. Still think he's an excellent manager and will go on to be a resounding success in the future.

That's not to say he's perfect and the end of his time at Watford is a small black mark against him, no doubt. Still, overall he was comfortably over-achieving at Watford.

Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

February 04, 2018, 11:30:17 PM
Reply #1923

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Does feel like the in thing and there’s lots of good sides doing it.

If we can recruit well enough to it then no problem with that. I think fonseca is in that kind of area.

P.s any sort of bang average sides doing it? Like out kind of level? Should be Europa kind of teams.

Dunno!

But it doesn’t have to be to fundamentalist levels but just a generally more proactive approach.

Just attacking doesn’t work as we know, so at least being more aggressive in defensive situations would show an intent.

February 04, 2018, 11:33:03 PM
Reply #1924

Evertonian in NC

I'd still happily take Silva personally. Still think he's an excellent manager and will go on to be a resounding success in the future.

That's not to say he's perfect and the end of his time at Watford is a small black mark against him, no doubt. Still, overall he was comfortably over-achieving at Watford.

I presume we are talking to the likes of a Fonseca or Tuchel/Favre behind the scenes. If they aren't ready to sign on the instant the season ends, then I snap Silva up immediately.

My interview process includes 3 questions:

1) Will you commit to Mason Holgate at CB, and leave him the fuck alone?

2) Will you commit to Tom Davies is midfield, and leave him the fuck alone?

3) Will you commit to making young players (Lookman, Onyekuru, hopefully DCL too) a key part of your attacking rotation, and teach them in a positive manner?
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

February 04, 2018, 11:36:46 PM
Reply #1925

kramer0

I presume we are talking to the likes of a Fonseca or Tuchel/Favre behind the scenes. If they aren't ready to sign on the instant the season ends, then I snap Silva up immediately.

3) Will you commit to making young players (Lookman, Onyekuru, hopefully DCL too) a key part of your attacking rotation, and teach them in a positive manner?

I don't think you can ask managers to play certain players in exactly that way.

But I do think we need someone who actively wants to integrate youth and make them an important part of the team whenever possible. Koeman's interest in youth was fleeting, Allardyce seems to have no interest at all. That's a problem given how much potential we have lurking around the edges of the first team right now.

February 04, 2018, 11:41:34 PM
Reply #1926

Evertonian in NC

But I do think we need someone who actively wants to integrate youth and make them an important part of the team whenever possible. Koeman's interest in youth was fleeting, Allardyce seems to have no interest at all. That's a problem given how much potential we have lurking around the edges of the first team right now.

Fair point.  These are probably more general frustrations coming out in specifics.  I just see Davies and Holgate as two "spine" elements that we really can't afford to lose.  If one were to ask a manager open-endedly what he thought of those two players, I think the response would be fairly telling.

And as you have noted, we have so little in terms of "prime years" talent, think we have to be super nurturing with what's on the way up, or we will be an old folks home like Sunderland/Everton B was when they went down.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

February 04, 2018, 11:43:07 PM
Reply #1927

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

You can't expect that off managers
You do need to emphasise we have lots of good players here already and they deserve game time but to single out players is nonsense
Simply simply lovely

February 04, 2018, 11:45:01 PM
Reply #1928

Mayor Farnum

I doubt any manager worth their salt will be held to promises regarding team selection at the interview stage.

February 04, 2018, 11:54:31 PM
Reply #1929

Evertonian in NC

you guys are all right, I am over-specifying general concerns.  Should just ask a general question about how the younger players would be integrated in his system/philosophy, and emphasize that he has a long leash to do things correctly this time around.

I made my point rather badly.  I do that a lot.  :D

February 04, 2018, 11:58:31 PM
Reply #1930

KoemansNumberTens

Are you all that convinced by our young players. I think only lookman looks a good bet to a top 6 standard player. The others I'm not so sure any of them will ever be more than decent premier league players

February 04, 2018, 11:59:56 PM
Reply #1931

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I heard a rumour that Dyche doesn’t like Walsh and would’ve wanted him sacked if he took the job.

So maybe that has something to do with us not approaching him. Or maybe it’s just nonsense.

Give an 8 year deal asap.

February 05, 2018, 12:07:33 AM
Reply #1932

kramer0

Are you all that convinced by our young players. I think only lookman looks a good bet to a top 6 standard player. The others I'm not so sure any of them will ever be more than decent premier league players

They're young so of course I'm not "convinced." With that said, Davies, Holgate, and Calvert-Lewin* generally have a positive impact on the team when they start in their natural positions and that's promising. Lookman and Vlasic need work off the ball but they're a lot brighter in possession that the other creative players at the club. Both have earned the right to at least play for 20-30 minutes off the bench each week.

* You can wonder about his "lack" of goals but the fact is that we hardly create any chances for our forwards. He's better at holding the ball and dribbling into space than Niasse with a similar willingness to chase lost causes. I think he and Niasse are a good double act -- DCL for 60', Niasse for 30' when the defense has been softened up.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:08:34 AM by kramer0 »

February 05, 2018, 12:07:49 AM
Reply #1933

kramer0

Give an 8 year deal asap.

You never know, Ram. We just might.

February 05, 2018, 12:13:39 AM
Reply #1934

Evertonian in NC

They're young so of course I'm not "convinced." With that said, Davies, Holgate, and Calvert-Lewin* generally have a positive impact on the team when they start in their natural positions and that's promising. Lookman and Vlasic need work off the ball but they're a lot brighter in possession that the other creative players at the club. Both have earned the right to at least play for 20-30 minutes off the bench each week.

* You can wonder about his "lack" of goals but the fact is that we hardly create any chances for our forwards. He's better at holding the ball and dribbling into space than Niasse with a similar willingness to chase lost causes. I think he and Niasse are a good double act -- DCL for 60', Niasse for 30' when the defense has been softened up.

Agreed.  Davies and Holgate aren't at the point of their careers where you need to be "convinced" for them to still merit game action.  Though I am convinced by Davies, and Holgate has barely had a run of games in his natural position at all (much less with a legitimate #1 beside him to learn from and fairly help shoulder responsibility).