October 19, 2018, 06:13:23 PM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 130960 times)

February 21, 2018, 02:02:32 AM
Reply #15

AllyBlue14

Has Niasse been all that great as a starter though? I thought the consensus was that his main strength is coming on as a sub and punishing defences when they're tired.

He's been alright, hasn't he? I know we're looking for better than alright (although I absolutely love Oumar) so it's an indictment of what a bad impression Tosun must have made that we've paid the big bucks to bring him in and he still doesn't even come on as sub, let alone start.

I'm a big fan of earning your place, so if he isn't pulling up any trees then I'm happy to wait until he's deemed ready.

February 25, 2018, 04:40:50 PM
Reply #16

AllyBlue14

Interesting that the handful of Allardyce apologists that are left have coincidentally found themselves too busy doing other things since last night to come on here and stick up for him.

I can't see much of an arguement left for keeping him anyway.

Ok, I'll bite.

If by apologist you mean someone who doesn't:

- begrudge the points we actually did win when Allardyce first joined (and I don't include West Ham);
- start calling for his resignation the second he lost his first match;
- use every word he says as a knife to stab him with;
- go around calling him Big Fat Gravy-Swigging Sam....

then yes, that's me. Just because you don't yield to the mob mentality, doesn't mean you think the sun shines out of his arse.

I think you'll find that most of the so-called Allardyce apologists have said that if he gets the team playing decent football - and more importantly winning - then he will have earned the right to stay on a bit longer. Which, objectively, whether you like him or not is the fair thing to do. If we're doing well, there's no point sacking the manager unless an obviously better, more suitable for the long-term manager becomes available.

Clearly, however, we're not playing well and nor are the results particularly great, so you would hope the board are looking at potential replacements (as they should always be - although I just don't think they are). As such, if performances/results continue (and for a manager who is so into stats, that Matt Cheetham post should be startling), we should get rid. Simple as that.