November 13, 2018, 09:53:46 PM

Author Topic: January Targets  (Read 82809 times)

December 02, 2017, 07:42:21 PM
Read 82809 times

kramer0

No matter how this next month goes, we need a centre forward, centre back, and left back. I would give the midfielders and wingers time to show what they can do. If any of Schneiderlin, McCarthy, Besic, Bolasie, Lookman, or Vlasic find form (and fitness, in some cases), we may as well save our money until June.

I hope we don't try for any "getting the gang back together” signings, like van Aanholt. It's one thing to sign a familiar face when you step into a messy situation and don't have much of a recruitment team in place. We have Steve Walsh and Martyn Glover, both of whom Allardyce has worked with before, already working on identifying players, so we should be getting more creative than the same boring names from around the league.

December 02, 2017, 08:15:16 PM
Reply #1

kramer0

When did Walsh work with Sam by the way?

At Newcastle. Which is maybe not a great omen.

Did good work with Glover at Blackburn and Sunderland, though.

December 05, 2017, 06:44:46 PM
Reply #2

kramer0

I like Walcott more than most but I'm not really on board with signing a pace merchant at this stage in his career. Unless they’re basically giving him away.

We can, and probably should, do better.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:50:11 PM by kramer0 »

December 05, 2017, 07:10:42 PM
Reply #3

kramer0

Fucking van Aanholt. I hope that's just paper talk.

How much money do we have to pump into managers' old favorites before we realize it's a terrible strategy? Hopefully, we’ve already gotten there.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:12:21 PM by kramer0 »

December 05, 2017, 08:50:43 PM
Reply #4

kramer0

A gang of expensive, post-peak players should sort the club right out.

December 11, 2017, 04:39:26 AM
Reply #5

kramer0

Philipp Max. Fantastic name.

It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer changes his name to "Max Power.” Which reminds me that there is an actual footballer named Max Power who plays for Wigan.

Back to the player... he has seven assists this season, plays a position of serious need, and he's the right age. I'm intrigued. Don't know much about him, though.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:47:38 AM by kramer0 »

December 19, 2017, 04:26:42 AM
Reply #6

kramer0

Lad in tef saying a left back and a centre forward WILL be brought in

We don't need much more. Might be able to get away with just a left back, honestly.

The summer is a better time for bigger moves.

December 28, 2017, 01:16:24 AM
Reply #7

kramer0

We look incapable of building decent attacks without Rooney playing a deeper midfield role. If we're serious about improving, we should be looking for a good midfield passer. And when I say "good," I don't just mean "90% completion rate" (nice as that is). We need someone who pushes the team forward and can create chances more directly, not an accurate-but-safe type.

Seri would be great but we have no chance of getting him. I'm not sure how much he'd cost, and the asking price might be prohibitive since he plays in England, but I'd have a look at Tom Cairney from Fulham. He's consistently been one of the best creative midfield passers in the Championship, even playing for some awful Blackburn teams, and I think he'd shine given a chance at a higher level. I'll also mention Yassin Ayoub from Utrecht. He's shown creative potential and does more defensive work than Cairney, although he doesn't appear to be as consistent on the ball in general (only an about an 80% completion rate compared to around 90% for Cairney). Bonus points for playing for a club that would be easier to strong-arm in transfer negotiations.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 01:20:02 AM by kramer0 »

January 02, 2018, 12:45:27 AM
Reply #8

kramer0

I know he's had some selection dilemmas with injuries and fixture congestion but hopefully Allardyce has figured out what our best system is by now. Every time we've played well, it's been in this 4-3-3 system we're seeing today.

GK: Pickford/Robles/Stekelenburg
RB: Coleman/Kenny
CB: Holgate/Keane
CB: Williams/Jagielka
LB: Baines/Martina
DM: Gana/Schneiderlin/McCarthy/Baningime
CM: Davies/?
CM: Rooney/?
RAM: Lennon/Vlasic/Lookman
CF: Calvert-Lewin/Niasse
LAM: Bolasie/Sigurdsson

I think the bolded areas are the ones we need to prioritize in January. Left back is an unquestionable area of need. A new CF is nice (and it looks like we're getting Tosun) but I don't think it's nearly as important as upgrading the midfield. When Rooney or Davies miss a match, we offer absolutely nothing on the ball through the middle. We need midfield reinforcements and we should be prioritizing players with creative passing ability or transition dribbling skills.

It's possible that Sigurdsson could help in the middle. I don't see it with his open play passing, and he's certainly not a dribbler, but I'm open to the idea. Maybe Barkley comes back and gives us another option. Who knows with his situation? The only thing I'm certain about is that our next midfield signing has to offer something significant going forward. We have plenty of solid defensive midfielders who can regularly nail straightforward passes and we generally play awful football when we use any of them together.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 01:13:57 AM by kramer0 »

January 02, 2018, 08:51:18 AM
Reply #9

kramer0

Pickford

Kenny Holgate Williams Van Aanholt

Gueye N’Zonzi Rooney

Tosun DCL Bolassie

Potential post-Jan side, maybe Cresswell/Shaw/Random in LB, looks a bit better. Still Sigurdsson wrong place, Gueye wrong job, Rooney wrongside of 30 and can’t do 90 mins this year so how long have we got, and still DCL up top..

If that's what we do this January, I give up.

I'd rather sign nobody.

January 15, 2018, 04:00:11 AM
Reply #10

kramer0

It's ridiculous how much better Moyes was at transfers than everyone we've had since.

If he had a risk-taking bone in his body, he might have a trophy to show for the generally excellent work he did here.

January 16, 2018, 01:31:05 AM
Reply #11

kramer0

Defoe would be fucking hilarious.

We can be the Premier League version of The Expendables.

January 16, 2018, 09:01:48 PM
Reply #12

kramer0

Cresswell isn't even particularly good.

And that's before I pull my patented move of pointing out that he's older than we should be targeting. Especially at fullback.

Edit: I’m already pessimistic about where Everton is heading but I genuinely despair for us if we pay good money for Cresswell.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:03:04 PM by kramer0 »

January 17, 2018, 08:08:38 PM
Reply #13

kramer0

January 19, 2018, 05:04:40 PM
Reply #14

kramer0

Bringing in nobody is better than paying for Cresswell.