December 13, 2018, 05:19:24 AM

Author Topic: January Targets  (Read 84952 times)

January 08, 2018, 07:42:17 PM
Reply #15

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
How old is Lennon? Or Arjen Robben? Or Ronaldo?

Just because a player turns 30 doesn't mean they suddenly lose their pace

No, although Ronaldo has slowed quite a bit.

It’s more the risk of it happening, which is higher as you get older.

Then factor in fee and wages (both assumed to be high) and risk factor increases.

Lennon was £4m so was worth the punt.

If Walcott was £25-30m plus £125k a week (4 year deal say), it’s got to be a consideration that if his pace did drop would you still want him at that cost.

January 12, 2018, 11:04:31 PM
Reply #16

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Wish we’d just offer Lyon 50 mill for Fekir

Aouar looked the best for them in our games.

Think Fekir might get run out of a few PL games.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:05:33 PM by GLewis »

January 14, 2018, 03:25:07 PM
Reply #17

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Agree with everything you've said there.

Let's hope it's the usual from the mirror

Not a swap deal is it?

:)

January 15, 2018, 02:28:45 AM
Reply #18

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
It’s 6 years this window since we last signed a proper, creative midfielder (Pienaar coming back).

January 15, 2018, 02:49:33 AM
Reply #19

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Love pienaar, so depressed now

To think 10 years ago(...) we had Arteta, Pienaar, Osman, Fernandes and Gravesen!

January 15, 2018, 04:53:22 PM
Reply #20

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Would any of our players get into an XI made up of players outside the top 6? There's our problem. We are very average everywhere

Sigurdsson would have done before he came here, I’d say. In fact Keane probably would have done.

Pattern here... ;)

Coleman (assuming he’s ok) would too.

January 15, 2018, 06:34:08 PM
Reply #21

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Gana is the best ball winner in the league so he'd walk into that side.

Coleman, Pickford, Rooney, Sigurdsson.

Tosun will probably be better than all the other strikers as well tbh.

We actually do have a good team, it's just been mismanaged appallingly.

We're 9th, having played to about 20% of our potential. We really aren't that far off.

Think we’re not far off being quite a bit better than the non top 6 but we’re still a long way off top 6.

But adding a quality passing midfielder would make an easy and immediate impact, as a quick example.

January 15, 2018, 06:47:51 PM
Reply #22

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I wonder if any of the scouts are obliged to ignore any creative midfielders that come across their path. It's like we're on a mission to be the only side in the league without someone who likes to put their foot on the ball and play incisive forward passes...and then maybe move to get a return ball. Martinez, Koeman and Allardyce so far haven't seen that we needed one. Which is exactly what we do need.

Plus it’s more than just the passes it’s a player who can hold onto the ball when under pressure.

Too many players have no awareness of what’s around them, lack the skill to do it, or don’t want to do it.

Just playing it away first time, unless it’s to a man in space who can be progressive, doesn’t achieve anything it just passes the pressure into the recipient.

Sometimes you have to be able to roll the opponent or send him the wrong way with a body swerve etc.

January 15, 2018, 06:53:24 PM
Reply #23

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
A la Pienaar/Osman/Arteta.

Or deeper, even someone like Gibson (his type not him per se).

But we’re lacking at both ends.

January 16, 2018, 03:09:47 AM
Reply #24

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
We don’t have a -

Silva
B.Silva
De Bruyne
Hazard
Fabregas
Mata
Pogba
Ozil
Wilshere
Coutinho
Lallana
Erikson
Son

Someone who can pass through the back line, over the back line, behind the back line...we haven’t got anyone who can create chances from open play except from out wide.

Closest would be Rooney or Sigurdsson. Rooney playing deep or should be, and sig’s lack of open play chance creation (and even just involvement at times) was widely covered on here at the start of the season and his strength is dead balls into the box.

Not like strictly a number ten, but someone who can pass up the pitch accurately with good vision and is naturally inclined to do so.

One thing is - we’re so deep 90% of the time now that even if we did have someone who can unpick the lock then they’d have to have a pretty fucking long pick.

Yeah as you say even Sigurdsson is more of a “finisher” in terms of either shooting or the final cross etc.

Rooney is just and all round good player but not a natural knitter of the play but is probably the closest that we have.

January 16, 2018, 03:34:49 AM
Reply #25

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Tell you what I’m not looking forward to the other lot getting that Keita. Haven’t seen that much of him but he looks to me in the Pogba / De Bruyne / Toure mould (and Barkley to an extent) a dynamic ball carrier who is a really aggressive forward passer as well. Can’t be arsed with them next year.

Not sure who we could get to furfil that role. Lanzini but is a classic 10 and he’d be apparently quite expensive. Mahrez would be ideal for me, off the left dribbling in. £50m would bite your hand off.

One thing that would seem to me to be reasonably easy to improve is to make Gueye / McCarthy realise that they’re actually ok dribbling the ball forward.

They’re not going to become passers at this stage but they should learn / be taught that they can still help get the ball up the other end by carrying it into gaps that appear.

One of the forward players would need to make themselves available for a short pass when they get there but it’d at least be some attempt at makin what we have more effective.

January 18, 2018, 04:03:55 AM
Reply #26

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

January 18, 2018, 03:56:03 PM
Reply #27

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
he was ment to be a ball playing CB, was expected he would play a few seasons as a DM then move to CB but for some reason everyone forgot to move him to CB

He wasn’t aggressive enough for me, so guessing that was probably the main reason.

January 18, 2018, 06:14:08 PM
Reply #28

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Still sees himself as a CB

He grew up as one so I’d say he should probably be one, if... etc.

Although if he went somewhere that was massively into possession and was willing to accept aggression deficiencies then maybe.

But I’d find it hard to see how he’d recover the years of lost learning/experience.

January 19, 2018, 04:54:05 PM
Reply #29

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Ideally the next LB that we buy should be as close to top class as possible.

That’ll narrow the numbers down even before you get to availability and affordability etc.