July 21, 2018, 09:31:42 AM

Author Topic: DCL  (Read 7133 times)

December 03, 2017, 11:58:26 AM
Read 7133 times

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
If he bulks up but keeps his pace he'll be a good player

Yeah at the moment his best bits of hold up play are the flicks etc.

He also produces some great bits of control in difficult areas.

Still needs to develop the consistent side of that role where youíre blocking the CBs and providing easy passes to the supporting players.

Remains to be seen if his threat increases, canít always be taught or developed, but certainly with SA the other side of the game should really come on.

December 03, 2017, 03:13:25 PM
Reply #1

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Needs to improve a lot on his finishing for me. Heís like one in six or seven which for a striker is pretty poor. But thereís something you canít help but like about him and heís had a thankless task this season.

Iíd say itís more the number of chances he gets.

Has had missed some decent chances this season but until he starts getting them in most games itís hard to judge the finishing specifically.

December 04, 2017, 03:13:40 AM
Reply #2

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Come on, Lukaku was absolutely dreadful with his back to the goal, he'd just stand there and let his defender nip in front of him 10 times out of 10.

Dom is already light years ahead of him in that area.

Donít agree with this.

Lukaku is / was miles ahead of him in this respect. It was frustrating that he didnít do it more; or that when it was bad it was far too easy.

But yet to see DCL even try something like this.

December 04, 2017, 03:19:44 PM
Reply #3

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I don't know what "this" is, but the fact that he managed to do some good things once or twice a season is neither here nor there really. He never moved towards the ball when it was passed to him, so if his defender was alert enough, the ball wouldn't even reach him. That's rule 1 of hold-up play and Lukaku just couldn't do it, while DCL does it all the time.

And don't get me started on the number of times the ball just bounced five yards away off his foot.

Of course all this was more than compensated for by his finishing ability, which DCL lacks, but let's not start rewriting history.

It was frustrating that he was inconsistent with it but letís not make out that he was Beckford-esque.

I wouldnít say that out hold up play has improved at all.

December 11, 2017, 12:33:08 PM
Reply #4

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Iím interested to see what Allardyce can do for his decision making in the hold up play.

Needs to learn more when to chest / flick on / win a foul etc.

Could do with filling out a a bit but otherwise has the physical ability to be good at that role.

Particularly as heís quite quick, even if his threat isnít amazing, heíd still be a good option for a team.

As a side point heís seemingly got a good understanding with Rooney.