September 22, 2018, 08:31:23 AM

Author Topic: [News]Allardyce: All I've done is made things easier  (Read 5085 times)

December 19, 2017, 09:25:56 PM
Reply #15

Bluedylan

But you are only a relatively new fan. The Harvey,Ball,Kendall side had style. Oh, and even in your early days if you could manage to see over the wall,  Manager Kendall's 80's team had style.  Can't remember any others though.

Moyes' team played some lovely stuff in his later years.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

December 19, 2017, 09:34:06 PM
Reply #16

D15TIN

All credit to him for turning the results around and bringing confidence back to some shattered players. In the longer term he will be judged on whether he can bring a return to the style Evertonians like to see.
Style means fuck all to me - results are everything.

December 19, 2017, 09:47:50 PM
Reply #17

Bluedylan

I defo 100% care about how we play our football. Not asking for slow, sideways football at all, but we need to massively improve our quality on the ball and our ability to control games with the ball.

Fair enough Sam has focused on the defence and our shape initially (which makes sense), but as time passes he will need to show that he can get the team playing if he really wants to live up to managing a bigger club, with loftier ambitions (which I think he's aware of). Hoofball will only get you so far.

December 19, 2017, 09:55:17 PM
Reply #18

KoemansNumberTens

I defo 100% care about how we play our football. Not asking for slow, sideways football at all, but we need to massively improve our quality on the ball and our ability to control games with the ball.

Fair enough Sam has focused on the defence and our shape initially (which makes sense), but as time passes he will need to show that he can get the team playing if he really wants to live up to managing a bigger club, with loftier ambitions (which I think he's aware of). Hoofball will only get you so far.

Don't you think it's more of a squad issue. We lack dribblers, we lack pace and movement and we lack a consistent targetman.

We look a lot more exciting when lookman is playing and doing well. We'll go up another notch with bolasie too hopefully.

December 19, 2017, 09:58:41 PM
Reply #19

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber

ah, i think i may have picked up on why some people differ in here.

When I say i don't care about style, i only care about results - i mean "if hoofball & timewasting are the most effective way of getting results, then so be it".
But you have just done a good job of explaining to me why people differ. It is clear you think controlling the game and and quality on the ball is the most effective way of winning games.

I'd probably agree if i think on it more. Horses for courses at the moment though

December 19, 2017, 10:00:50 PM
Reply #20

Bluedylan

Don't you think it's more of a squad issue. We lack dribblers, we lack pace and movement and we lack a consistent targetman.

We look a lot more exciting when lookman is playing and doing well. We'll go up another notch with bolasie too hopefully.

Yep, he's working with what he's got. For me I think the issues are further back. I'd like a centre half who's good on the ball and a midfield playmaker.

December 19, 2017, 10:08:15 PM
Reply #21

Bluedylan

ah, i think i may have picked up on why some people differ in here.

When I say i don't care about style, i only care about results - i mean "if hoofball & timewasting are the most effective way of getting results, then so be it".
But you have just done a good job of explaining to me why people differ. It is clear you think controlling the game and and quality on the ball is the most effective way of winning games.

I'd probably agree if i think on it more. Horses for courses at the moment though

Yeah exactly. I think we can hoofball our way to 7th pretty much every season and that's fine. Once that is achieved we will want something more, as we should, and the best way to achieve that (imo) and compete with those above us is to get hold of the football. Same applies if we want to do better in Europe in the future, for me.

December 19, 2017, 10:10:17 PM
Reply #22

KoemansNumberTens

Yep, he's working with what he's got. For me I think the issues are further back. I'd like a centre half who's good on the ball and a midfield playmaker.

I didn't want to mention the playmaker. I go on about number 10s enough. Think we need barkley to stay or a like for like replacement

Hoping probably extremely ambitiously that Allardyce can find us a JJ Okacha too. Crying out for a player with real magic

December 19, 2017, 10:16:35 PM
Reply #23

Bluedylan

I didn't want to mention the playmaker. I go on about number 10s enough. Think we need barkley to stay or a like for like replacement

Hoping probably extremely ambitiously that Allardyce can find us a JJ Okacha too. Crying out for a player with real magic

Even a deeper playmaker in Morgan's position, but one with the personality to get on the ball, dictate things, play forward passes, give and receive the ball under pressure. Someone like Marco Verratti (that we could attract).

December 20, 2017, 12:18:42 AM
Reply #24

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber

Hoping probably extremely ambitiously that Allardyce can find us a JJ Okacha too.

Alex Iwobi is his nephew, that could be close enough?
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

December 20, 2017, 12:45:44 AM
Reply #25

bacon sarnie

This Everton style is a myth. We have never really had one.
Iím old enough to go back to the mid 70s and our teams always did whatever was necessary to win.

Aye, with style. I'm old enough to go back to the mid 60s so pass me that cane and get back to school.

December 20, 2017, 12:51:43 AM
Reply #26

Lxxx

Holgate could be that player but we definitely need to spend in the summer to purchase an upgrade on Schneiderlin.

December 20, 2017, 01:26:21 AM
Reply #27

bogie

do you ever really watch Lookman or do you just tune out with his fast feet
take last night 2 times I could have played a player in on goal with simple ball but would try to beat 2/3/4 players on his own he is at the club a year now and that L1 crap is still in him someone needs to tell him its a TEAM game

December 20, 2017, 01:47:23 AM
Reply #28

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
This exactly ! I'm four rows back , centre goal upper Gwladys and had half a row plus three in front and five behind screaming for him to pass the ball.......before he was dispossessed !

December 20, 2017, 02:20:09 AM
Reply #29

Lxxx

To be fair to the lad thereís no way he should have been in our first team squad this season. He should have been out in the championship growing up and learning his trade every week.