October 24, 2018, 09:27:00 AM

Author Topic: Everton v Chelsea  (Read 15632 times)

December 23, 2017, 07:49:50 PM
Reply #15

Bluedylan

Hopefully someone snaps this weasly little prick
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

December 23, 2017, 07:56:51 PM
Reply #16

Bluedylan

Need some composure on the out ball.

December 23, 2017, 07:59:56 PM
Reply #17

Bluedylan

Piss poor DCL

December 23, 2017, 08:01:53 PM
Reply #18

Bluedylan

Could do with a nice penalty in the last 10.

Must be due one

December 23, 2017, 08:11:09 PM
Reply #19

Bluedylan

I think Sandro's done well, given the 'service'

December 23, 2017, 08:58:30 PM
Reply #20

Bluedylan

I have to laugh at the 'it's not fancy football' comments.

No-one is asking for that. Of course they have better players and will probably dominate possession, but we've got to be able to pass the ball 5 yards a few times in a row otherwise it is just dross, and you will end up conceding, when your luck runs out and then it's game over.

Sam has acknowledged that, and said he expects better, so fair enough.

But yeah, it needs to get better.

December 23, 2017, 09:04:44 PM
Reply #21

Bluedylan

We've got a few players costing between £20-45m. We're not Huddersfield. Of course we should be playing some football. It'll do today but it will have to get better.

If we carry on playing like that and start to lose a few, if the deflections go in, or a long ranger flies in, people will get pissed off very quickly. 0 attempts on target at home should never be ok.

December 23, 2017, 09:23:10 PM
Reply #22

Bluedylan

It doesn't matter how much we've spent, because a lot of it was spent very badly. If we went toe to toe with Chelsea today, with the players available to us, then we get absolutely tonked. Although I do agree that a lot of players are very poor in possession this season, I just think we shouldn't be concerning ourselves with that as long as we are finally getting the results.

I don't care about the shots on targets stats at all.. the only stats that matter at the moment is our undefeated run. We can't ask for much more than that, especially when you consider how we were performing a couple of months ago.

The only way our form could have been better is by beating those knobheads at Anfield, or beating the reigning champions today.

Can people comprehend that there's a massive middle ground between all out defence/pure hoofball, and toe-to-toe?

No one is expecting toe-to-toe or dazzling football. Just the occasional bit of football as a starter. Allardyce said the same, so I'm hardly going out on a limb.

December 23, 2017, 09:49:24 PM
Reply #23

Bluedylan

Think the issue right now is what a massive gap formed early this season between Everton and a competent football team that can defend or attack, much less effectively mix the two.

We were not some elite squad when Alardyce came in. We were a shambles, a rehab project that is now progressing nicely. Shoring up the defense has been the first part of it. Being able to hold Chelsea scoreless and earn a draw qualifies as a minor miracle considering where we were a couple months back.

The bigger miracles like being able to go out to beat top teams like Chelsea will take a while longer to develop. Though at this rate, we could well be doing it by spring.

I'll make this my last comment because I don't want to hog the comments.

I just don't agree with the premise. We had a much better squad than our position, we were 11th before Allardyce's first game and had just won 4-0. I don't think things were nearly as bad as some suggested, and I argued that any competent manager would steer us to safety with no trouble at all.

Sam has done well, so I'm not attacking him. The run of results has been strong, players have improved and credit to him for that.

All I'm saying is that these players are definitely capable of playing football (which Sam himself has stressed a lot) and I'm hoping to see some of it eventually (as Sam is).

I know it's been a rough season but no attempts on target shouldn't ever be acceptable for any Everton side at Goodison. And again, I'm sure Sam would completely agree with that. He knows he's not in a relegation scrap with a minnow and that it'll need to improve in possession.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 09:50:32 PM by Bluedylan »

December 23, 2017, 10:26:06 PM
Reply #24

Bluedylan

Really happy with what I've seen from Sigurdsson last few weeks. Proper stood up and been counted and not let the price tag weigh him down.

Fans will love him if he keeps grafting like that, and he's the main one producing little moments of quality (apart from Rooney). Looking forward to us getting more out of him when we improve in possession.

December 23, 2017, 10:55:02 PM
Reply #25

Bluedylan

One bit of gloom I suppose is the performances of Davies who was poor again today. I guess he would not have played if Rooney had been fit. I don't think he has done anything to impress the new manager. Surely Vlasic is worth a run in the team and will probably get his chance in the next hectic weeks. It is remarkable that Cuco who was the butt of everyone's criticism earlier is doing a decent job at left back. It takes the urgency out of that position particularly if Baines gets back to half decent form. Oh for a striker though. I wonder who Sam has his eyes on?  Wonder where Koeman got it so wrong with the same squad?

Kevin Gameiro

December 24, 2017, 12:32:51 AM
Reply #26

Bluedylan

Think some people have forgotten that Tom Davies is 19, and is playing in the hardest part of the pitch against people like Kante. He tries the riskier passes and doesn't just crab his way around.

'Found out'...don't make me laugh.

December 24, 2017, 02:29:02 PM
Reply #27

Bluedylan

Your position is Really sad ,
I couldn’t stand Moyes and I got lots of stick on forums including being banned from blue kipper and toffeeweb for criticising him, but I still supported the club 100%

Everyone should be judged on results , not hearsay

If we win a trophy, that is all that matters

Let people have their opinion and stop badgering everyone who disagrees with you. There's loads of people who agree with @blue1948 , and they have perfectly valid reasons for feeling that way. You're coming across as an Allardyce fundamentalist, and not recognising that people might just feel differently to you and that that's ok.

December 24, 2017, 02:52:58 PM
Reply #28

Bluedylan

To be fair saying I'll never be happy regardless is the sad standpoint.

I like allardyce but I'm not happy regardless. I expect a certain level in terms of results. Baffled as to how someone can say they are always going to be unhappy regardless of what he does

Can't speak for him, but might just not like the fella. Who knows? Everybody has their reasons, to paraphrase an old film director.

December 24, 2017, 03:10:13 PM
Reply #29

Bluedylan

Guardiola’s fault - he’s turned the majority of footy fans into whinging dickheads with a ridiculous sense of entitlement when it comes to the style of football they expect their team to play.

Yeah we never had disagreements about style of play when Moyes was here, or Martinez or Koeman. It's definitely a completely new thing.