September 23, 2019, 06:34:34 PM

Author Topic: Europe next season?  (Read 7996 times)

December 21, 2017, 04:01:27 AM
Read 7996 times

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Wouldn't mind giving it the swerve next season tbh.

You make it sound we're in it every season.

We stuffed up this season because we didn't get a balanced squad. I'm sure it'll be better next.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

December 21, 2017, 05:09:10 AM
Reply #1

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
When was the last time a team that started in July did well?

Shit yeah. Let's not even bother trying.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

December 21, 2017, 05:27:13 AM
Reply #2

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
See my previous reply.

The qualifying rounds are ill thought out by UEFA. The competition is too big, and this is just a way of squeezing the last droplet of cash out of it, to the detriment of the quality of the competition.

I don't think us starting it so early was the cause of our problems though. We treated them as pre season games anyway. Our problem was so many new faces playing together in a team lacking balance and direction. Oh, and we didn't have a proper striker either.

December 21, 2017, 06:15:20 AM
Reply #3

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
We may have treated them as such, but we couldn't play them as such. We couldn't chose the opposition, we couldn't play all the players we wanted. We couldn't play without pressure, and so on.

There are other reasons too, obviously. But it can't be ignored the fact that all teams that start their season so early struggle for the remainder of their campaign.

And all clubs who win the FA cup that aren't a top club get relegated.

The trick is to buck the trend. An extra 4 games really shouldn't make all that difference.

Do I like the format? Nope, but we can't change that. I'd rather be in it than not.

December 21, 2017, 01:25:41 PM
Reply #4

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
No they don't.
You realize I’m talking recently don’t you?

To not want to be in Europe is dumb.

December 21, 2017, 02:38:45 PM
Reply #5

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Not to want to be in the ridiculous qualifying rounds isn't. Straight into the group stages? Great. Start the season in July and watch us crumble on all fronts? Nah.
Must be great to be able to predict the future so clearly. What’s the lotto numbers for next week?

December 21, 2017, 05:09:44 PM
Reply #6

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
We owe Big Sam nothing, yet.

We owe him his wages for this week. That's about it though.

December 21, 2017, 07:02:35 PM
Reply #7

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
The Europa league needs a complete overhaul, the amount of games you have to play to win it is fucking ridiculous, and the champions league drop outs need fucking off to.
This is definitely true. Especially the cl dropouts.

It was all better as knockout competitions to be honest. The league stuff is bs.

December 21, 2017, 08:34:17 PM
Reply #8

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Exactly, would also means less games to win the thing.

Yep. Revert back to knockout. Increase the prem back up to 44 games. Everyone's happy.

December 22, 2017, 04:12:26 AM
Reply #9

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Does Big Sam have any meaningful European experience?

Genuine question that. My guess is he's got far less than Koeman.

Probably more than Koeman. He got Bolton into Europe once.

What's Koeman done? Got us there and got sacked half way through the campaign.

December 22, 2017, 04:47:51 AM
Reply #10

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Must've had a bunch of campaigns in Europe as a manager before he got to the PL no?

Yeah, true. Forgot he managed in Holland before.

December 22, 2017, 07:14:37 AM
Reply #11

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Mate, can you honestly give me an example of any team that hasn't struggled the season they have to play in the qualifying rounds? Because I can't. It's not predicting the future, it's experience taken from not just our season currently, but all the other teams affected too.
I’ve no idea about other teams and don’t really care. However if we’re not in it our chances of buying better players diminish, we’ll have zero chance of winning it and what’s the point in even trying? Might as well just finish 8th every season.

If other teams struggle, that’s their problem. Let’s be the team that doesn’t struggle and push through it.

And really four extra games shouldn’t make that much difference.

December 22, 2017, 05:43:55 PM
Reply #12

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I'd rather go full kilter at the top 6 next year. I'm not going to be unhappy if we get 7th and get into the qualifying rounds, but I'm going to be far from upset if we don't.

It's a bit silly to say you don't know or care about other sides, as that's the only barometer available.

No guarantee of getting 6th the following season. And then what? No decent players are going to want a join a team who don't play in Europe regularly.

To be honest, this whole Europe thing is nonsense. 7th in the table should not be given European competition anyway. Yet again, reward for failure, like the champions league is. 2nd, 3rd and 4th are not champions and shouldn't even be in that competition.

December 23, 2017, 08:02:16 AM
Reply #13

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
7th place shouldn’t even qualify anyway. It’s a joke.

The whole thing needs reforming.

December 23, 2017, 05:07:34 PM
Reply #14

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
What are you saying?

That teams like United, Chelsea, atletico, Dortmund, and even sometimes Barcelona, shouldn't get in and the champions of slovakia and Croatia should automatically Qualify over them??

c'mon, man.

I'm saying I would love to see it go back to how it was before as a knock out competition.

Champions league now is a farce. How can the likes of Arsenal be in it when they haven't been champions for years?

First place gets into the elite European competition. Second place FA Cup and League cup winners into the next Euro comp.

Increase the number of games in top divisions to take up the extra space available and make things more logical.