October 23, 2019, 03:42:18 PM

Author Topic: Rooney  (Read 16539 times)

December 27, 2017, 07:46:25 PM
Read 16539 times

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
I think we can all agree you shouldnít go into a kids hospital if you have or suspect you might have the flu. Even just a little bit of it.

February 10, 2018, 01:58:29 AM
Reply #1

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Reckon thereíll be a huge amount of build up to him finally becoming manager, then heíll probably do well in his first season, playing some divine football at times that we havenít seen at Everton in decades.

Then just as the fans hopes are raised about the glory days finally coming to Goodison, heíll fuck off to manage Man U.

February 10, 2018, 03:56:19 PM
Reply #2

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
To be fair if he'd taken good care of himself he wouldn't have started declining age 27-28 and he'd be far closer to his peak now at 32 than he is. Let's be honest, he's a shadow of his former self, but his former self was so good that he's still easily good enough for our team.

This is a man who let himself be filmed getting knocked out cold boxing a mate in a fucking kitchen. That's not taking care of yourself, and idiotic on multiple levels.

I agree there is a magnification of his stupidity and lack of care for his own health for all the reasons people have outlined - his fame, being a poor scouser etc.

But at the same time there's rarely smoke without fire and Wayne has set off a fair few fires in his time.

February 10, 2018, 05:20:29 PM
Reply #3

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
I disagree with that
Most players start playing regular first team football at 20, they become a teams focal point at about 24 and begin to decline about 31

Rooney was a first team regular at 16 and a teams focal point at 18. He was miles ahead of the curve so it's no surprise to me that all the games took its toll in his late 20s

Why should being a first team regular or a teams focal point aged 16 matter?

Itís not like other players arenít still playing football at that age - in reserves, u21 etc.

You could even argue that itís of benefit to rooney to be playing earlier as there will have been far more focus on him doing things like not playing too much football, having the right amount of recovery time after games, more care from physios, nutritionists etc.

February 10, 2018, 05:54:20 PM
Reply #4

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Because players who start playing for the first team at such an early age have a history of declining a lot earlier than players who break through at the age of 20.

By the time he was 18 he was playing for Manchester United in the champions league whilst also playing for England, being the main focal point of both teams.

Do they? I'm sure there are some, but there's plenty of examples of that not being the case.

Looking at other United stars, Beckham, Butt, Giggs, and Gary Neville all made their debut aged 17. None of them were going off the boil in their late 20s and none had declined anything like Rooney has. Giggs was playing to an incredible standard into his late 30s.

Some pretty massive revisionism going on here to pretend that Rooney couldn't have taken better care of himself or that's had nothing to do with his decline.

February 10, 2018, 05:55:29 PM
Reply #5

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
You're chatting shit here I'm afraid.

Quite possibly. Sticking to my guns though and let's see how it pans out.

February 10, 2018, 06:20:43 PM
Reply #6

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Nicky butt? Don't even know what he was doing in his 30s

Beckham was in America

Neville massively declined and admits he should've retired sooner.

Majority of players out there decline when they hit their 30s, especially players who have been playing at the highest level for as long as Rooney has.

I personally find it a bit mad how anyone can question his dedication to the game considering all he has achieved.

Even now, at 32 he's probably the best player for one of the biggest clubs in the country.

I'm not questioning his dedication, just reckon if he'd taken taken better care of himself he would've prolonged his time at the peak of his game. His decline started before he hit his 30s. With all the evidence around us of him doing stupid shit - getting battered, smoking, getting KOd, putting on weight in the summer, etc - it's not ridiculous to think this may have impacted his longevity.