October 19, 2019, 12:22:57 PM

Author Topic: Rooney  (Read 16465 times)

February 09, 2018, 09:31:57 PM
Read 16465 times

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Iain Dowie has a degree in engineering and doesn't sound very intelligent either.

And it's debatable how much intelligence (in the narrow sense) really contributes to the success of a manager.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

February 09, 2018, 10:42:19 PM
Reply #1

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Not 100% convinced on the good player = good manager thing but if he wants to do it he should get his badges and work up, not a sweetheart deal at 35.

Not only that, you can't even guess the managerial style of someone based on the kind of player they used to be: Lobanovskyi had been an incredibly flamboyant winger, as a manager he turned into one of the strictest disciplinarians of his age.

February 10, 2018, 03:39:01 AM
Reply #2

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
No a lot of it comes from his behaviour off the field coupled with his lack of dedication to his fitness (drinking & smoking) which combined give the impression of someone not hugely intelligent

Again, Lobanovskyi. :)

February 10, 2018, 03:54:41 AM
Reply #3

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Of course people can change or mature and become more of a well rounded individual.  I just don't see Rooney being able to become a brilliantly minded tactician.

He has worked with Ferguson so no doubt could man manage and motivate, but his lack of dedication to his physical well-being points imo to someone whose not suddenly going to dedicate himself mentally to becoming a top level or even lower level manager

I think we massively overestimate how intelligent these managers are, again in terms of the sort of general intelligence measured by IQ tests and so on.

Ferguson probably wouldn't perform very well in a logical quiz, yet he was one of the most successful managers ever, and his longevity on the top was unrivalled. He was an absolute master of how to play mind games, he knew exactly how to motivate his team, he knew how to delegate, he knew when to get rid of players (but the one time he tried to be clever and use data, he got it horribly wrong).

None of it requires that sort of intelligence. It probably doesn't hurt if you've got it, but I think it matters far less than we'd like to think. (This is also true in many other walks of life, but that's a different story.)