October 24, 2018, 03:05:20 AM

Author Topic: Rooney  (Read 12439 times)

February 09, 2018, 06:57:31 PM
Read 12439 times

ajax_andy

Cant see Rooney having half the intelligence needed to be a manager at any level

February 10, 2018, 03:01:20 AM
Reply #1

ajax_andy

He only gets the reputation of being dumb because of where he's from.

Young, working class lad from Liverpool means dumb according to the gutter press.

No a lot of it comes from his behaviour off the field coupled with his lack of dedication to his fitness (drinking & smoking) which combined give the impression of someone not hugely intelligent

February 10, 2018, 03:47:07 AM
Reply #2

ajax_andy

Again, Lobanovskyi. :)

Of course people can change or mature and become more of a well rounded individual.  I just don't see Rooney being able to become a brilliantly minded tactician.

He has worked with Ferguson so no doubt could man manage and motivate, but his lack of dedication to his physical well-being points imo to someone whose not suddenly going to dedicate himself mentally to becoming a top level or even lower level manager

February 10, 2018, 03:52:07 AM
Reply #3

ajax_andy

Feel like this 'lack of dedication to fitness' is a big myth

It's really not.  Who sits in a pool in Vegas drinking and smoking when their supposed to be getting fit for a world cup.

Plenty of examples like this over the years

February 10, 2018, 05:53:08 PM
Reply #4

ajax_andy

No a drug dealer told me. True story.

I'm not sure using what Rooney's coke dealer said is a great way to backup your argument tbf 😂😂😂

*Not really suggesting Rooney takes drugs

February 10, 2018, 06:14:53 PM
Reply #5

ajax_andy

Nicky butt? Don't even know what he was doing in his 30s

Beckham was in America

Neville massively declined and admits he should've retired sooner.

Majority of players out there decline when they hit their 30s, especially players who have been playing at the highest level for as long as Rooney has.

I personally find it a bit mad how anyone can question his dedication to the game considering all he has achieved.

Even now, at 32 he's probably the best player for one of the biggest clubs in the country.

Butt was playing at Newcastle to a high standard still

February 10, 2018, 09:21:24 PM
Reply #6

ajax_andy

He made 431 league appearances by the time he retired at 35. No idea on the starts / subs ratio but can guess that the Utd part would have had more subs that Rooney.

Rooney has 480 at 32. Most of which were at the best team in the country.

Thatís without CL games, England games etc.

No one, bar Newcastle fans, would have been bothered what Butt was doing for the last third of his career.

Not sure anyone gives a shit what Rooney's been doing in the last 3rd of his career either tbh

February 16, 2018, 04:23:00 PM
Reply #7

ajax_andy

Johann cruyff drank, smoked and couldnt keep his little fella in his pants, would you look at him the same way as rooney ?

Different playing field, today's footballers are or at least should be highly tuned athletes so you can't compare them to the old days

February 17, 2018, 12:27:46 AM
Reply #8

ajax_andy

Dunno. Still won trophies dude.

If his career ends at the end of next season I'd say the last third of his career no one will remember, he wasn't instrumental in winning anything at man u in the last 2-3 years of his career there, and it's unlikely he'll win anything with us.

It's a shame, he's no doubt had a fantastic career on paper but it's fizzled out badly

February 17, 2018, 01:41:42 AM
Reply #9

ajax_andy

can't the be said about all top players

Not many top players last third of their career starts at the ages of 26 or 27 though, that's the point surely?