December 11, 2018, 11:08:46 AM

Author Topic: Rooney  (Read 13308 times)

February 10, 2018, 06:01:28 PM
Read 13308 times

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Do they? I'm sure there are some, but there's plenty of examples of that not being the case.

Looking at other United stars, Beckham, Butt, Giggs, and Gary Neville all made their debut aged 17. None of them were going off the boil in their late 20s and none had declined anything like Rooney has. Giggs was playing to an incredible standard into his late 30s.

Some pretty massive revisionism going on here to pretend that Rooney couldn't have taken better care of himself or that's had nothing to do with his decline.

Only Giggs started playing that early and is a completely different physique to Rooney.

Iíd agree that knowing his body he would have had to be puritanical to cover what most players can probably get away with without worry.

But Rooney has put in years of massive energy performances. Theyíre bound to take their toll.

February 10, 2018, 06:46:38 PM
Reply #1

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Butt was playing at Newcastle to a high standard still

He made 431 league appearances by the time he retired at 35. No idea on the starts / subs ratio but can guess that the Utd part would have had more subs that Rooney.

Rooney has 480 at 32. Most of which were at the best team in the country.

Thatís without CL games, England games etc.

No one, bar Newcastle fans, would have been bothered what Butt was doing for the last third of his career.

February 10, 2018, 07:17:10 PM
Reply #2

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I canít remember what study it was but Iím sure someone looked at champions leagues finals and found the majority of players who make it to cl finals (peak of club football surely) have been playing first team since 17 years old.

All that probably says is that elite talent breaks through earlier like, but I thought it was interesting.

Yes could see this being true.

But would be interesting to see what level - eg playing at 17 in Holland isnít as hard as here.

And does it just mean made their debut at 17, or starting most weeks?

February 10, 2018, 09:52:19 PM
Reply #3

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Not sure anyone gives a shit what Rooney's been doing in the last 3rd of his career either tbh

They do because heís been hammered for a lot of them.

February 10, 2018, 09:53:06 PM
Reply #4

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think @brap2 is referring to this from Brian Marwood:

It's not necessarily a case of elite talent breaking through earlier though - take a look at the players in last season's CL final, most started out at non-elite clubs with less competition. City believe, for example, that young players have improved because of the challenge of first team togger and because they've failed and learned from their mistakes.

Yes.

So in the context of this thread Rooney has had to have all that at elite level.

Thatís a burden.