January 23, 2018, 04:12:18 AM

Author Topic: Bournemouth v Everton  (Read 10863 times)

December 30, 2017, 04:32:45 PM
Reply #180

AllyBlue14

From what we have seen, he appears to have organised the defence much more quickly than we were expecting. It's all well and good saying 'well we only beat Huddersfield at Goodison and Newcastle are shite,' but I think the season hit crisis point with the defeat to Southampton and there was little hope of improvement at the time.

Having organised the defence so quickly, however, he seems to have made a rod for his own back and we're already expecting more going forward. I think that's where we all seem to disagree - some are more willing to be patient with this (generally the ones who weren't dead-set against his appointment), whereas those who were sceptical, let's say, want more attacking endeavour more imminently.

Given the Christmas schedule, the lack of training sessions and the fact he'll have to implement a defensive plan for each team we come up against, personally, I think it's more realistic to focus on continuing to shore up the defence and hoping the reintroduction of Rooney can spark some life in our limp attack.

Without doubt, though, we're going to have to show more. Given that we have United and the RS coming up in the Cup, plus a tricky away match against Bournemouth today (yes, the league is shit; yes, we should be better than them; they're in bad form but they're not as bad as some are making out) I reckon the focus will be on defence again.

Then once the matches thin out a bit, we have a few players coming back from injury and hopefully a couple of new additions, we'll have more time to concentrate on being more expansive going forward.

December 30, 2017, 05:19:18 PM
Reply #181

Martip

He hasn't been successful at Everton and to say that already is outrageous.

He shored up a leaky defence and made us hard to beat. Exactly what was expected.

If he can go beyond that and take us up a level then he will have been successful.

Plenty of time left and it's too early to judge him. Hopefully we can have a strong transfer window and strengthen appropriately to give him the best chance of success.
I disagree he has been very successful in turning round a team looking like it was going to get relegated. Early days I know but people whether they like him or not should give him some credit for the job done so far.

December 30, 2017, 05:30:17 PM
Reply #182

Lxxx

Your ignoring the facts

Numerous people on here witnessed him shouting at the team to pass it vs Chelsea

Same vs West Brom

At one point vs West Brom on the tv coverage you could hear Sammy Lee shouting pass and big sam shouting don’t give it away (or something very similar, can’t quite remember)

To say the manager doesn’t recognise there is a problem going forward and isn’t trying to address it is not based on facts or reality.

If by the 1st of feb the problems continue then you can correctly ask why wasn’t it addressed in the window.

Even more so on the 1st September

All fair points. It seems like there is a bandwagon forming on here about Sam and it's not really helping if fans are on his case so early. We know, he knows and the players know they are not good enough to play expansive attacking football so until we get ones in who can we have to focus on not conceding a goal and then work on nicking one at the other end. It's not going to be pretty but the last 12 months have left us with a group of players lacking in talent, balls and the variety needed to play a balanced side. Let's at least give him until after the window before he load up on him.   

December 30, 2017, 05:30:23 PM
Reply #183

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Pickford

Kenny Holgate Keane Cuco

Davies Schneiderlin Rooney

Lennon    DCL  Sigurdsson

Is what I reckon it will probably be, at some point I wouldn’t mind a little

Pickford

Kenny Holgate Keane Cuco

Schneiderlin Rooney

Lennon Sigurdsson Bolassie

DCL

Really want to get Sigurdsson in the 10 and rooney in the middle. But he might wait til we have a few recruits for that.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 30, 2017, 05:36:27 PM
Reply #184

Rodenplav64

I disagree he has been very successful in turning round a team looking like it was going to get relegated. Early days I know but people whether they like him or not should give him some credit for the job done so far.

I disagree . I think Unsworth had worked his way down to the players that gave a fuck at the time we played WHU in front of a home crowd after a run of difficult away games . Without debating the merits of the 2 it was Unsworth and not Allardyce who inherited a mess . That said I think Allardyce is the more likely to maintain a consistent level of form until the end of the season . He knows the next 2 transfer windows are massive for him and the club as after the England debacle and given his age we are as good as it gets . Koeman was on his way as soon as someone bigger came along and Moshiri basically gave him a free reign to fuck it up . I am quite happy to see what he can do as the one thing I am sure off is players won't force him out as easily as they did Martinez and Koeman .

December 30, 2017, 05:40:27 PM
Reply #185

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Pickford
Kenny Holgate Keane Martina
Davies Schneiderlin Rooney
Lennon DCL Sigurdsson

Is what I'm expecting

Simply simply lovely

December 30, 2017, 06:02:31 PM
Reply #186

KoemansNumberTens

I disagree . I think Unsworth had worked his way down to the players that gave a fuck at the time we played WHU in front of a home crowd after a run of difficult away games . Without debating the merits of the 2 it was Unsworth and not Allardyce who inherited a mess . That said I think Allardyce is the more likely to maintain a consistent level of form until the end of the season . He knows the next 2 transfer windows are massive for him and the club as after the England debacle and given his age we are as good as it gets . Koeman was on his way as soon as someone bigger came along and Moshiri basically gave him a free reign to fuck it up . I am quite happy to see what he can do as the one thing I am sure off is players won't force him out as easily as they did Martinez and Koeman .

It's utterly laughable to give unsworth the credit instead of allardyce. His performance as manager was inept. In his defence I think he tried to do too much rather than the basics for his audition but to give him credit for our upturn is biased nonsense

December 30, 2017, 06:04:16 PM
Reply #187

mikey_blue

I'd like to see

Pickford
Kenny Holgate Keane Martina
            Morgs Rooney
                   Sig
Lennon        DCL         Bolasie/ Vlasic

December 30, 2017, 06:45:00 PM
Reply #188

duncandisorderly

All fair points. It seems like there is a bandwagon forming on here about Sam and it's not really helping if fans are on his case so early. We know, he knows and the players know they are not good enough to play expansive attacking football so until we get ones in who can we have to focus on not conceding a goal and then work on nicking one at the other end. It's not going to be pretty but the last 12 months have left us with a group of players lacking in talent, balls and the variety needed to play a balanced side. Let's at least give him until after the window before he load up on him.

Pretty much this. We have some solid footballers in the midfield and defence, but up front we have nothing if Rooney doesn't play. Bolasie coming back and hopefully Barkley (if he stays) will help but it's going to take at least a month for them to get back to match fit. Sigurrdson is a decent player but doesn't really have the pace to trouble defences, and that's not his game anyway. Lennon offers little going forward but is good defensively, the other wingers can't be relied on to perform well regularly. DCL has done brilliantly but he's too young and if I'm honest, not good enough at the moment to lead the line consistently.

We are in a right state attacking wise and need at least a couple of players, preferably with a bit of pace, in this window. Until then it is defend well and hope to nick a goal or two.

Some of our fans don't like this though and seem to have their appropriate lack of respect s against Allardyce for whatever reason. They are just waiting to pounce if points start to dry up and performances don't improve. We all want to see better and more attacking football but the reality is we don't have the players at the moment to do this.

December 30, 2017, 07:06:08 PM
Reply #189

Toddacelli

It's utterly laughable to give unsworth the credit instead of allardyce. His performance as manager was inept. In his defence I think he tried to do too much rather than the basics for his audition but to give him credit for our upturn is biased nonsense

They will both have been doing their absolute best to do a good job.
Is it not, therefore, reasonable, to suggest that there has been some good input from both?
I think there were one or two signs under Unsorth, but never a full 90 mins worth, that things were improving.
I also think that Allardyce, as much as I never wanted him, has added to what Unsworth started and taken it further because he is a far mor experienced manager.

The whole 'Who Started It' debate is a bit ridic.

We're on the Big Sam Train now, if you're still clinging on to Previous Manager Station you'll end up having your arms ripped off.

All aboard!

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

December 30, 2017, 07:07:20 PM
Reply #190

AllyBlue14

Apparently McCarthy could be back for us (potential replacement for Gana?) and Stanislas is sidelined for them - shite player but huge blow if true, he scores every time they play us.

December 30, 2017, 07:17:55 PM
Reply #191

KoemansNumberTens

They will both have been doing their absolute best to do a good job.
Is it not, therefore, reasonable, to suggest that there has been some good input from both?
I think there were one or two signs under Unsorth, but never a full 90 mins worth, that things were improving.
I also think that Allardyce, as much as I never wanted him, has added to what Unsworth started and taken it further because he is a far mor experienced manager.

The whole 'Who Started It' debate is a bit ridic.

We're on the Big Sam Train now, if you're still clinging on to Previous Manager Station you'll end up having your arms ripped off.

All aboard!

I've no problem with people suggesting unsworth has had some input in terms of helping allardyce when he came. People are actually claiming we'd turned the corner though and unsworth had solved our problems is nonsense though

December 30, 2017, 07:18:43 PM
Reply #192

KoemansNumberTens

Apparently McCarthy could be back for us (potential replacement for Gana?) and Stanislas is sidelined for them - shite player but huge blow if true, he scores every time they play us.

How long is gueye out for?

December 30, 2017, 07:23:18 PM
Reply #193

Toddacelli

I've no problem with people suggesting unsworth has had some input in terms of helping allardyce when he came. People are actually claiming we'd turned the corner though and unsworth had solved our problems is nonsense though

Not sure I've seen that but I'll take your word for it.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

December 30, 2017, 07:26:59 PM
Reply #194

KoemansNumberTens

Not sure I've seen that but I'll take your word for it.

The post I quoted said "it was unsworth not allardyce that inherited a mess"
It's just plainly not true. We were terrible defensively under unsworth even in the 4 nil against West Ham.