January 18, 2018, 10:00:14 AM

Author Topic: Nevermind who we buy in January, who do we get rid of?  (Read 3165 times)

January 02, 2018, 10:51:57 PM
Reply #15

Macca77

Allardyce

Bah! Beat me to it by 6 hours

deCoubertin

January 03, 2018, 01:22:08 AM
Reply #16

therealdunc

to Answer the question honestly, truthfully and with an appetite for ambition - one has to ask which members of the squad could win a league or get into a league winning side?

In all honesty, thatís none of them.

But I would keep Pickford and Holgate as itís clear they have huge potential

I would also keep Gueye as even thou he is no world beater, we would find it hard to get a replacement.

The rest of the squad IMO would all be up for sale if the right offer came in, the only player anyone could possibly make an argument about is Coleman but there is no guarantee he will return as the same quality full back after such a long injury.

The squad is crap, until people accept this reality and take of the blue tinted specs, they will keep getting themselves wound up and upset.

Blue

January 03, 2018, 02:58:26 AM
Reply #17

Dr. Sponge

I'd love us to find a buyer for Schneiderlin and have a real deep lying midfield playmaker lined up to play alongside Gueye

Edit: like Gareth Barry 🤦🏻‍♂️

January 03, 2018, 02:35:59 PM
Reply #18

Cereal Killer

to Answer the question honestly, truthfully and with an appetite for ambition - one has to ask which members of the squad could win a league or get into a league winning side?

I would also keep Gueye as even thou he is no world beater, we would find it hard to get a replacement.

The rest of the squad IMO would all be up for sale if the right offer came in, the only player anyone could possibly make an argument about is Coleman but there is no guarantee he will return as the same quality full back after such a long injury.

The squad is crap, until people accept this reality and take of the blue tinted specs, they will keep getting themselves wound up and upset.

Agree that the squad isn't great, but equally people should grasp the reality that we aren't going to attract any league winning players let alone a whole squad full

January 03, 2018, 04:57:24 PM
Reply #19

therealdunc

Agree that the squad isn't great, but equally people should grasp the reality that we aren't going to attract any league winning players let alone a whole squad full

Half agree

We need to do one of 2 options

1. We throw buckets of money like city and Chelsea did and bridge the quality gap rapidly

2. We buy lots of youngish (under 25) players who are ahowing potential and improvement

Option 2 is very much what Liverpool have done and are now able to attract huge names and add real quality like van dyke as they going the right way

No reason we canít do the same, but it starts with getting rid of over half the current squad and buying up lots of the potential from the championship, lower premier league and abroad

We need to stop buying players closer to 30 than 20, who have failed at big clubs, are on huge wages and have less re-sale value aka the likes of Keane, Sigurdsson, Schniderlin, Rooney, etc

Of course the odd bit of experience is needed, but this should be no more than one or two.
Blue

January 03, 2018, 04:57:34 PM
Reply #20

ally2

Buy everyone. Sell everyone. Sack everyone.

January 03, 2018, 05:10:14 PM
Reply #21

Lxxx

Buy everyone. Sell everyone. Sack everyone.

Seems to be the model the new board are going for.

January 03, 2018, 07:05:35 PM
Reply #22

Redartin

January 03, 2018, 07:06:53 PM
Reply #23

blue1948

The only one to keep is someone who we have no guarantee will ever play again ! Then bin JJK .Stay off the pop for ***'* sake

January 03, 2018, 08:19:53 PM
Reply #24

themilkycoffees

January probably not the time to do it, because the squad is quite thin as it is.

But in the summer, it'd be easier to talk about the players we should keep. It's time to get rid of the dead wood.

Keep Pickford, Coleman, Kenny, Keane, Holgate, Gueye, Rooney, Vlasic, Bolasie, Lookman, Sigurdsson, Dowell.
Be happy to keep Sandro, Klaassen, Niasse, Mori, and DCL, too.

The rest, constantly injured or simply not good enough should be let go.

January 03, 2018, 08:57:11 PM
Reply #25

dangermouse

Id only sell if you could say without a doubt, after this window they wont play again.
Everton Programmes Books & DVD's

http://www.facebook.com/evertonprogrammes

January 03, 2018, 10:38:08 PM
Reply #26

kramer0

I think our best side looks something like this. Plausible back-ups in parentheses.

GK: Pickford (Robles, Stekelenburg)
RB: Kenny (Coleman starts when fit)
CB: Holgate (Keane)
CB: Williams (Jagielka)
LB: Martina (Baines starts when fit)
DM: Gana (Schneiderlin, Baningime)
CM: Davies (McCarthy)
CM: Rooney (Barkley if he ever plays again)
LM: Bolasie (Sigurdsson)
CF: Calvert-Lewin (Niasse)
RM: Lennon (Vlasic, Lookman)

I think we can safely get rid of the following:

Mirallas - Should never have been re-signed.
Besic - Needs too much work, won't see enough games to get to an appropriate level.
Robles or Stekelenburg - Not that anybody is interested.

If we get a significant offer, I think we should sell:

Klaassen - I don't see a role for him. He does some clever things in the final third but he's too passive overall. Our midfield struggles during build-ups and I don't think we have room for someone who doesn't really show for the ball.
Schneiderlin - It would be a slight risk w/r/t squad depth but if some PL club is willing to pay good money for a "proven" player, we should take it and run. I was a fan of his in the past but he looks awkward in every configuration we've seen this season.
Sandro - I don't think he's actually a centre forward (https://differentgame.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/the-data-scout-sandro-ramirez/), I don't think Allardyce knows what to do with him, and I don't think he's settled in England at all. There's no shame in making a profit, even though there might be a good player in there.

And we should probably loan Lookman if there's a mid-table Championship club willing to let him play through his mistakes.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 01:44:38 AM by kramer0 »

January 04, 2018, 03:28:43 AM
Reply #27

Toddacelli

I think our best side looks something like this. Plausible back-ups in parentheses.

GK: Pickford (Robles, Stekelenburg)
RB: Kenny (Coleman starts when fit)
CB: Holgate (Keane)
CB: Williams (Jagielka)
LB: Martina (Baines starts when fit)
DM: Gana (Schneiderlin, Baningime)
CM: Davies (McCarthy)
CM: Rooney (Barkley if he ever plays again)
LM: Bolasie (Sigurdsson)
CF: Calvert-Lewin (Niasse)
RM: Lennon (Vlasic, Lookman)

Mirallas - Should never have been re-signed.
Besic - Needs too much work, won't see enough games to get to an appropriate level.

Klaassen - I don't see a role for him. He does some clever things in the final third but he's too passive overall. Our midfield struggles during build-ups and I don't think we have room for someone who doesn't really show for the ball.
Schneiderlin - It would be a slight risk w/r/t squad depth but if some PL club is willing to pay good money for a "proven" player, we should take it and run. I was a fan of his in the past but he looks awkward in every configuration we've seen this season.
Sandro - I don't think he's actually a centre forward (https://differentgame.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/the-data-scout-sandro-ramirez/), I don't think Allardyce knows what to do with him, and I don't think he's settled in England at all. There's no shame in making a profit, even though there might be a good player in there.

And we should probably loan Lookman if there's a mid-table Championship club willing to let him play through his mistakes.

Agree with most of that.

Mirallas - Should never have been re-signed. - Yep - that was a horrendous piece of business and the only explanation was that we wanted to make him more expensive when we sold him.
Besic - Needs too much work, won't see enough games to get to an appropriate level. - This. Even though it guts me to say it  :'(

Schneiderlin - Agreed, would rather play Baningime.

Sandro - Disagree. There is still time for this to pan out. The only thing worse than adapting to the Premier League from the La Liga is trying to do it in rare, 10-minute sub appearances, in a totally disjointed side playing shit football.

Klaassen - captain of Europa finalists Ajax in a very young side. Again - still time for this to pan out, but what worries me most is the players around him. Think he would be boss next to a monster like Viera or Yaya Toure but those players are so rare and sought after that unless we've got one coming through the ranks already...

And we should probably loan Lookman if there's a mid-table Championship club willing to let him play through his mistakes. I would say the same of Baningime if we don't shift Schneiderlin this window.

And let's not forget that there will likely be another 3 additions to the squad in the summer - Onyekuru, Dowell and Garbutt.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

January 06, 2018, 05:57:58 PM
Reply #28

Lxxx

I'd move all our central midfielders on apart from Gueye and Davies. Besic, Schneiderlin and McCarthy are all nowhere near the standard we need for actually passing a football and Klaassan clearly isn't doing anything in either games or training to justify being here. If we could get £50m for that lot that should be able to buy us a couple of midfielders who can put their foot on the ball in the middle of the park and move the football around so we have some attacking intent again.

January 06, 2018, 06:10:36 PM
Reply #29

sixymack

GK: Pickford, Robles, Stekelenburg
Not a fan of Stekelenburg but considering Robles' contract is up in the summer then he has to go in January if we're to get any money for him.

Full Back: Baines, Martina, Kenny, Coleman
Can't see any of them going, especially with the fitness of Baines and Coleman in doubt.

CB: Jagielka, Williams, Keane, Holgate, Funes Mori
Jagielka and Williams are probably the only two possibilities to leave in January. If we get an offer for one of them then it'd probably be wise to accept.

CM: Schneiderlin, Gana, Davies, Besic, McCarthy, Beningime, Klaassen
Besic's time is up, I don't think anyone can contest that.
McCarthy has probably changed opinions with a few slide tackles today but he's fucked us about and is constantly injured. If we get a decent offer then sell him.
Schneiderlin can go if we identify a replacement.
I know Klaassen is nowhere near the team but don't think it's wise to sell him for a big loss after six months. I believe there's a good player there.
Beningime possible loan.

Dreaded number 10s: Rooney, Sigurdsson, Barkley
Who knows what's happening with Barkley.

Wingers: Mirallas, Lookman, Bolasie, Lennon, Vlasic
Mirallas has to go.
Lookman has to go out on loan.

Strikers: Sandro, DCL, Niasse
Sandro just isn't going to work out. We'll still probably make a profit on him if we sell.
Niasse should be surplus to requirements if we get a striker (or two) in during January

So that's 30 players in total and in my opinion...

Definitely got to go: Robles, Mirallas, Besic, Sandro
If the right offer comes in: Jagielka/Williams, Schneiderlin, McCarthy, Barkley, Niasse
Out on loan: Baningime, Lookman

Great post.  Mirallas and Besic immediately come to mind.  Kev should have been moved on a couple of years ago.