September 25, 2018, 08:26:23 AM

Author Topic: Lookman  (Read 36891 times)

January 09, 2018, 08:00:24 AM
Read 36891 times

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I remember when the blood the young kids arguments came up during the seasons when we had nothing left to play for when Moues was manager. I used to champion them too.

Funny how things are cyclic.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

February 10, 2018, 07:19:51 PM
Reply #1

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
It’s not really the same role, he wasn’t even getting substitute appearances for us.

He was at first.

Scored on his debut for us as well. Then nothing until a meaningless game.

Think he has something about him, and I hope he stays as he could develop into a decent player.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

April 16, 2018, 06:47:23 AM
Reply #2

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Let's face it, they're both crappy finishers, but Lookman has time on his side. I hope he comes back and develops more.

April 17, 2018, 03:35:46 AM
Reply #3

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Is Lookman a crappy finisher? Sample size is fairly small for Everton, both his goals for Leipzig were excellent finishes, and he had a decent strike rate for Charlton. Not saying his finishing has been amazing but lumping him in with Bolasie, who has failed to regularly score goals over the entirety of his career, seems unduly harsh. (I realize you make the point that Lookman has time on his side, but that does not really address my point.)
He’s had plenty of good chances when he’s played for us and sent most of them to the keepers legs.

I’d rather him in the team than Bolasie but he has a long way to go yet.

June 10, 2018, 07:15:03 PM
Reply #4

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I'd be happy to give Lookman 6 months and if he's still not doing it, buy an upgrade in the winter.

That means we can focus on other areas of the team given we don't have a ton of time left.

June 10, 2018, 11:21:56 PM
Reply #5

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
That seems like a weird thing to say, if you don't mind me saying. He's 20 years old. You have to expect inconsistency and peaks and troughs. You don't arbitrarily just sack an incredibly talented kid off after 6 months, if they haven't been consistent. It's about building something, and allowing young players space to grow and make mistakes, if necessary, with the intention of reaping the rewards further down the line.

I think within 6 months we'll at least be able to see if he has something or not. I don't see the point in buying big for that position this summer given we're on a budget again with more important positions to sort out.

But if he's flopping badly and not contributing anything to the team, then an upgrade becomes a necessity. Last season we saw Bolasie isn't the answer. Let's see if Lookman is going to be and review from there. Think that's pretty fair myself.

June 10, 2018, 11:35:15 PM
Reply #6

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Dude, we know he has something. That's not even a question. His time at Leipzig put an end to that discussion, and our new DoF wanted to sign him for his previous club. I think you'll see him be a prominent player for the club this season, and if he's not, then I'd suggest that is a failure of management. The ability is oozing out of him, and it seems like the most progressive, forward thinking scouts/DoFs around Europe are all well aware of that, and would love to get him.

Brands' quote (and one of the first things he's said about any of our player's specifically, which tells you a lot):

Listen, I hope he does make it, he's shown flashes for us in the past. But we still don't know how he'll fare in an important role for us in the Prem. He did well in Leipzig after a slow start, and I hope he can continue that form for us. But if he's struggling and done nothing for us in 6 months, then we would be daft not to explore other options.

So I am all for giving him a chance and a proper run in the first team to show what he can do. But if there are minimal results from that run, then do you persevere or do you look to improve by looking to buy someone else more proven?

June 11, 2018, 05:32:52 PM
Reply #7

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I'd like to see him change positions then. I think he has a touch of the Raheem Sterling about him and as much as jazz hand's game has it's flaws he's an exciting player who is allowed to pop up wherever he sees fit across the final third, which is what you want from your front three ideally. If you had him and Walcott allowed to attack the box from both flanks we suddenly have an unpredictable threat we haven't had in years.

Sounds good to me.

June 11, 2018, 06:40:22 PM
Reply #8

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
You have to persevere.
If it were me I would tell the lad that he has up until November, then I'm resting him:
He has assurance that I am backing him however he plays.
If I do drop him it is a pre-arranged plan and not a knock to his confidence.
Any dips in form I have taken the pressure off.
Vlasic gets November and December before the busy Christmas period and at that point I hope I have a selection headache going into January and if I don't...

...hello window!

Confused. In one breath you're saying persevere and then you're saying he just has a couple of months otherwise into the window we go.