November 14, 2018, 11:41:05 AM

Author Topic: Theo Walcott  (Read 27142 times)

January 13, 2018, 04:49:06 PM
Reply #240

Shogun

Administrator
Walcott will give us more than Lookman like (at the moment), he needs a season playing every week somewhere.

I know it's a bit of a basic way of thinking but I just don't see the point in signing players that aren't good enough for the top six in order to try and get there ourselves.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

January 13, 2018, 05:11:40 PM
Reply #241

everton1952

It might be hard to get players good enough for the top 6 to sign for a club aiming for 10th with one eye on the dog fight a few points below.

January 13, 2018, 05:40:08 PM
Reply #242

mikey_blue

To be competitive you usually need 4 wingers and 3 strikers, Walcott can fill two of those places. He instantly makes the team stronger, and gives us another experienced head in the team. He's not going to pull up any trees, but his pace will cause teams problems. We saw the same when Lennon came in. I'm not too happy about the wages, but as people have mentioned, when city began their siege on the league, they had to buy a whole lot of Santa Cruz's before they got their Silva's.

January 13, 2018, 06:20:32 PM
Reply #243

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
Walcott will give us more than Lookman like (at the moment), he needs a season playing every week somewhere.

I know it's a bit of a basic way of thinking but I just don't see the point in signing players that aren't good enough for the top six in order to try and get there ourselves.
That's where you meet the reality of building a team. Too many of us have an expectation that we should only buy the absolute 'elite' players and that is impossible to achieve for all sorts of reasons. But if one keeps improving then one's recruitment improves as well until you reach the point where the 'Messi's' of this world start to find us an attractive proposition.
I agree with mikey_blue there will certainly be more 'Walcotts' to come before we start seeing the 'Agueros'.
The frustrating part of watching us at the moment is the impatience many of us have. We talk ourselves down too much. Overall our situation is improving - if you don't think so look at the teams outside the top 5 and ask 'are they on the way to the top?'  I can't see it. Leicester did it for one season and that fluke event does give other teams hope, but season after season at the top? I don't think so.
There is a lot of pleasure and satisfaction in watching a good team develop but we seem to have lost that in favour of wanting and expecting we can have it all now, now, now.
Life isn't like that.
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

January 13, 2018, 06:24:07 PM
Reply #244

ncstate4jpc

NSNO Subscriber
The only Sanchez we are likely to get is Hugo, the Mexican.

Even he would be as good as Walcott

That would be Dirty

January 13, 2018, 06:28:53 PM
Reply #245

.Rimbo.

Walcott will add some pace and a goal threat which is very lacking at the moment.

However, do we really need another player at his peak/about to decline?

It just seems we’re getting led down the garden path; selling our young talents like Lukaku, Deulofeu, Stones and Barkley only to replace them with players that will need to be replaced again in 3/4 years.

January 13, 2018, 06:36:54 PM
Reply #246

ally2

Walcott's finest hour was probably when he was terrifying Barca at the nou camp on the right wing, then second was probably his hat trick for England as a kid. He is still capable of that in my opinion but his career is a mess at the moment.

A manager will always think that they can get a tune out of a player when someone else can't. It's not necessarily anyone's fault that he has stagnated but arsenal is a very weird club in that they want to push development but are hamstrung by the demand to succeed because of such financial strength. Basically they've never found that balance or Wenger hasn't been decisive enough to commit to a successful team above all else. The result is bunch of players who, unless they are supremely talented, end up in and out of the team, and I think players like Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain have suffered most.

I'd be happy with a loan with a view to buy in the summer but it looks like that isn't on the cards. On the other hand, I think this might drag but that's OK - we are in a relationship strong position for once because of the state of Arsenal and Walcott's career. We can afford to drive a hard bargain, but Walcott must be committed enough to drop wages and want to play. If he does that then great, but if there's any doubt then we should run a mile.

January 13, 2018, 06:38:32 PM
Reply #247

Lxxx

Walcott will add some pace and a goal threat which is very lacking at the moment.

It just seems we’re getting led down the garden path; selling our young talents like Lukaku, Deulofeu, Stones and Barkley only to replace them with players that will need to be replaced again in 3/4 years.

I can kind of see the value in bringing in some experienced players, if we take the view that we'll be losing Williams, Jags, Baines and Rooney within the next 18 months and replacing them with longer term replacements. This will then leave us with very few senior pros at the club and you do need a good mix of ages and experience levels.
I'm going round and round in circles on this one but if we get him for a decent price and Moshiri thinks the numbers work then I suppose on balance it's probably a decent signing, as long as we have plans in place to enable Lookman and Vlasic to progress to give them the best possible opportunity to eventually take over.

January 13, 2018, 06:40:53 PM
Reply #248

indiantoffee1975

The scouting system is clearly shit since Moyes left. We'll continue to take cast offs from the top 6 clubs and achieve nothing.

January 13, 2018, 06:45:43 PM
Reply #249

.Rimbo.

I can kind of see the value in bringing in some experienced players, if we take the view that we'll be losing Williams, Jags, Baines and Rooney within the next 18 months and replacing them with longer term replacements. This will then leave us with very few senior pros at the club and you do need a good mix of ages and experience levels.
I'm going round and round in circles on this one but if we get him for a decent price and Moshiri thinks the numbers work then I suppose on balance it's probably a decent signing, as long as we have plans in place to enable Lookman and Vlasic to progress to give them the best possible opportunity to eventually take over.

We’ll also need to replace Rooney in 18 months and start thinking about replacements for Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin (who’ll both be around 30). Players who combined cost us around £80million in the last 12 months.

We don’t have a bottomless pit of money or sellable assets. And we don’t have mouth-watering commerical revenue streams (sorry to sound like The Esk) to sustain this level of spending.

There is no medium or long term planning in our recruitment.

January 13, 2018, 06:46:23 PM
Reply #250

KoemansNumberTens

I think the problem is we have nothing in the middle. We have potential that's not ready and we have decent older players. We don't have anyone young who's already good enough and looks like they could be fantastic

I don't see why we can't compete for young players the top teams want on account they'll play for us and sit on their bench

January 13, 2018, 06:48:51 PM
Reply #251

.Rimbo.

The scouting system is clearly shit since Moyes left. We'll continue to take cast offs from the top 6 clubs and achieve nothing.

I don’t know what the NSNO concensus of Steve Walsh is, but to continue on from your point, I’m struggling to understand how he kept his job?

January 13, 2018, 06:51:45 PM
Reply #252

Frevski

This is part of the problem with premiership management at the moment, most managers won't entertain long term outlooks, hell why would they? If you have 6/8 bad games you are at risk.

This breeds short term thinking, it is the position of the rest of the club to develop youth to an extent it can be pushed/pulled  into the first team.

Big Sam is picking someone he thinks will fill the gap for pace and a goal threat needed by the team, why would he care what happens after 18 months?

January 13, 2018, 06:59:31 PM
Reply #253

Lxxx

We’ll also need to replace Rooney in 18 months and start thinking about replacements for Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin (who’ll both be around 30). Players who combined cost us around £80million in the last 12 months.

We don’t have a bottomless pit of money or sellable assets. And we don’t have mouth-watering commerical revenue streams (sorry to sound like The Esk) to sustain this level of spending.

There is no medium or long term planning in our recruitment.

I'd agree with all that, however not all players will fall off a cliff once they reach 30. Rooney did because he'd played a full career by his late 20's but someone like Sig could feasibly go on well into his 30's as he looks to have a clever brain about him. Walcott may well keep his pace like Lennon has too.

I'm just playing devils advocate though as I would ideally like to see a more joined up and imaginative recruitment strategy but we where we are and if it's not coming for whatever reason then I suppose he's better than what we have so I'll take it as it might make us less boring to watch if nothing else. 

January 13, 2018, 07:12:31 PM
Reply #254

Juanito

He is now favourite to join Southampton at 4/7 and us at 9/4 on Skybet.