August 18, 2018, 12:00:15 AM

Author Topic: Theo Walcott  (Read 25074 times)

January 14, 2018, 11:57:55 PM
Reply #285

Ravardo

Anyone how well walcott did today coming on as a sub?

January 14, 2018, 11:59:09 PM
Reply #286

Ridge

Yes. He is much better

Walcott is a clever sprinter who learned to toe poke forward or pass to the left at 15. Bolasie is one of the most technically gifted players to play in the PL, he just hasn't done much with it.

It's like comparing Milli Vanilli to Bob Dylan.

January 15, 2018, 12:01:01 AM
Reply #287

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Anyone how well walcott did today coming on as a sub?

Only ended up seeing a few mins after he came on, but he didnít receive the ball that much. Got into a couple of decent positions but player with the ball didnít pass. Couple of offsides when he was trying to run in behind.

Really, nothing you could judge from that. I didnít see the FA Cup game sadly.

January 15, 2018, 12:01:57 AM
Reply #288

Shogun

Administrator
Don't really know why they're playing him when it's obvious he's off.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

January 15, 2018, 12:03:18 AM
Reply #289

sam of the south

Walcott is a clever sprinter who learned to toe poke forward or pass to the left at 15. Bolasie is one of the most technically gifted players to play in the PL, he just hasn't done much with it.

Is this Yannick Bolasie you are talking about? 😳
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

January 15, 2018, 12:07:21 AM
Reply #290

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

Can't believe you've just called yannick bolasie one of the most technically gifted players in the league.

That's the maddest thing anyone has ever said on here.

January 15, 2018, 12:07:28 AM
Reply #291

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think the better comparison for Walcott would be to Lennon or Deulofeu. Lightning quick, Lennon plays wider and is better at tracking back, Walcott is a more direct running, wide forward. In terms of output, you'd expect more of Walcott, because he's taking more of the teams chances and contributing less in other areas.

With Bolasie, he's changing direction, moving players off balance, using his strength to go past players, creating space for others. Bolasie covers more ground with the ball at his feet than almost any other player in PL, more similar to Barkley, Hazard, Sanchez, Mane. Teams often double up against him and while it rarely comes to something, he's often hurdled 4 barriers before he's fallen at the 5th.

Walcott has got a decent return for what is generally a simple trick, he's a decent squad option, I don't see him being part of a successful team. With Bolasie I think any team in the world would be happy to have him as a wild card. He's a chronic underachiever for his talent, in terms of doing more of the hard work than the easy stuff. But like Barkley, he would have less responsibility to create in a better team where the creative burden is more shared. Create space for others and one of them can put in the cross or through ball. We wouldn't be anywhere near as bad this season, if we'd had a fit Bolasie playing, we've had no one who wants the ball or can go past a player and/or create, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. And give him some time to recalibrate his legs and then we'll see what he can do.

Heís 5x better than him and theyíre both shite
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 15, 2018, 12:11:18 AM
Reply #292

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Can't believe you've just called yannick bolasie one of the most technically gifted players in the league.

Iím trying to work out which ones Bob Dylan.
"I wouldn't be up here if I hadn't failed a million times." Nick Foles

January 15, 2018, 12:22:10 AM
Reply #293

sam of the south

It's astounding
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

January 15, 2018, 01:15:33 AM
Reply #294

Faceatthefence

It aint me babe!
Night comes down and finds you alone
In a space and time of your own
Lost in dreams in world full of shadows.

January 15, 2018, 01:24:26 AM
Reply #295

Paddockoldie

If Bolasie would cut out the fannying round and just beat the man and did the simple things well he'd be a much better player for it. I remember when Fergie told Ronaldo to fuck the step overs and showing off out and he went on to be world class. Bolasie won't do that but he'd improve no end.

January 15, 2018, 01:32:33 AM
Reply #296

Ridge

I'm struggling to think of better dribblers we've had at club in my memory and effective dribblers are worth their weight in gold. In terms of being able to do tricks and incorporate them into the running path, it takes a level of touch and improvisation that very few players possess. Christiano Ronaldo was a show pony that became productive. Some players need to beat opponents half a dozen times because they can't get away from them, some just can't stop taking the piss, until they decide they want to be more effective.

Bolasie's final ball is often shocking, decision making near opposition goal is dire, but in terms of his skill on the ball, pace to go past a man, strength to hold a player off, there are not many who influence a game as strongly as he does. In terms of efficiency Walcott is highly clinical, Bolasie is highly inefficient, despite similar outputs in recent years. But Bolasie contributes far more to outside of assists and goals, working out of possession, moving the team out of trouble, but also in terms of movement and passing.

We've been crying out all season for someone who wants the ball, run at players, make something or create space for others to do so. Barkley and Bolasie averaged about 3 dribbles a game in recent seasons. This season only Niasse, Lookman and Vlasic average atleast 1 and they've not got many minutes and only 2 assists between them.

Spurs tend to use Dembele as the player who can hold off players, he runs forward as an extra man with Eriksen left t create. While players like Hazard, Mahrez, Sanchez have very little in the way of defensive responsibility. But they all provide a safe passage for the ball through the opposition midfield and onto defence. Think of it like US Football, we end up chucking long passes, because we have no short passing game, because we have no running game. When you lose an ability, your opponent doesn't have to cover that eventuality. Even if they do cover it, you're not going to break the lines without incisive passing or reliable routes, we have neither.

January 15, 2018, 01:56:17 AM
Reply #297

Ridge

I was thinking in terms of the creative type, who produces some masterpieces, but never really got away from the attraction of abstract dreams, over the glory, success or accolades. But Milli Vanilli is probably a bad example of simple chart success, as they are all show and no substance, which is a bit Bolasie at times. Maybe Status Quo would have been a better example, it's a simple trick and it gets results.

But just strikes me as similar to Sigurdsson signing, where stats paint a more favourable impression. There has to be some thought to how the pieces are supposed to fit together, Walcott plays for a top team on a big pitch against slow or tired defenders when other players are out. I wouldn't be surprised if Sandro would did well in those circumstances and we've got no way of utilising his pace at the moment, plus we've got Lennon as a whippet on the right. We seem to just be accumulating the same types of player, and all of them key cogs in other teams, then keeping them as spare parts with no balance or plan how it fits together.

January 15, 2018, 01:58:07 AM
Reply #298

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say bolasie is pretty shit tbh
Simply simply lovely

January 15, 2018, 02:14:52 AM
Reply #299

Shogun

Administrator
Bolasie was our best player before he got injured last season. Haven't seen enough to judge him properly yet.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth