December 19, 2018, 01:05:02 AM

Author Topic: Theo Walcott  (Read 28023 times)

January 10, 2018, 06:00:22 AM
Read 28023 times

Bluedylan

Would be unhappy with Walcott or Del. Sign one of the best up and coming wingers, and let them improve at the club. Someone like that Hirving Lozano guy. Need to be thinking longer term than these expensive, short-term options.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

January 10, 2018, 02:12:23 PM
Reply #1

Bluedylan

All great shouts but like, we’re a million miles off them players. Most at CL clubs already, the rest going for multi millions soon

Disagree. We could attract some of them. We pay top dollar and blew our competitors out of the water with Tosun.

Much rather that, than wasting 20m+ and 110k a week on an ageing Walcott who's well on the way to losing his only major asset as a player.

Avoid at all costs imo.

January 12, 2018, 12:28:53 AM
Reply #2

Bluedylan

I suspect that when people think of and picture Walcott they are thinking of him about 6 years ago, tearing Liverpool apart and being absolutely lightening, rather than the reality of his current situation where the vast majority of Arsenal fans want him out of the club because he's so ineffective as a player, has never developed and has absolutely no edge to his personality or his game.

Swerve.

January 12, 2018, 06:42:42 PM
Reply #3

Bluedylan

Deeply, deeply unimaginative.

Also very short-term thinking.

Another nice player who goes missing when it's a fight, and who has no edge or snide to his game, things that we've lacked.

I don't believe 'is he better than what we have?' should be the defining criteria because every other winger in the league has a better goal scoring record than Aaron Lennon over the last two seasons, but that doesn't mean we should sign them.

We should be looking at players like Lozano or Pavon. The next generation of superstar wingers. Theo will need replacing and moving on in 18 months probably.

Also we need more players with football intelligence. He is severely lacking.

Anyway, that's my view and I'll leave it at that and not badger people with it.

I'll submit a full apology and retraction later on the season when he's banging them in for us.

January 12, 2018, 07:04:24 PM
Reply #4

Bluedylan

Point blank disagree with you there. It is absolutely the defining criteria. Without passing that test then you get no further (after that you get into the 'is he the best we can get'/'is he worth the fee' questions. but they're all irrelevant compared to the above.
2 genuine questions about this:
1) Will they be ready to start the first game of next season and actually be better than what we have immediately?
2) The second we put an offer in that is accepted, do you reckon Chelsea/City/Juve/Arsenal would sit back and let us have them?

keep reading @KoemansNumberTens , it was cleared up. (although, to your point specifically. What if the weakest players of the top sides are still miles better than our best players? Swerve them because they won't be quite as good for us?)

So should we sign Chris Brunt or James McLean, because I think they've scored more than Lennon?

I think the question should be 'are they sufficiently better than what we have to justify the overall spend?' and will they improve.

Yes, Pavon or Lozano would be ready.

The big clubs don't sign all the best young players. A number of those players realise they need game time to develop. That's why Malcolm joined Bordeaux for example. That's why Lozano went to PSV. So for me, that argument doesn't wash at all.   

January 12, 2018, 07:23:12 PM
Reply #5

Bluedylan

Why does it have to be one or the other with regards to established or up and coming, you can get both, like I think we would if we got Walcott?

We've had Deulofeu, arguably one of the most sought after wingers in the world at that time and that didnt work, weve got Lookman who has massive potential and most teams would be after him, same with Vlasic. Swansea have got Sanchez, who was similar to Gerry, and he looks average at best. At least with Walcott it will give you the opportunity to play the up and coming players as and when it suits, and if they perform better than him then so be it.

Fair enough mate. We just see it differently.

I feel like it's another 'secure 7th place at best' signing.

We don't have more money than other clubs so for me the only way to crack the top 6 (like Spurs) with less resources is to be cleverer and more astute in our transfers than the big boys.

For me, this is the opposite of that. Obvious, uninspiring and not taking us anywhere special.

I may be totally wrong, and like I say it's just a difference of opinion.

January 15, 2018, 10:09:44 PM
Reply #6

Bluedylan

Hope he joins Southampton.

January 16, 2018, 07:57:01 PM
Reply #7

Bluedylan

Meh