May 23, 2018, 10:23:51 PM

Author Topic: New Defence Needed  (Read 2910 times)

January 21, 2018, 08:34:13 PM
Reply #15

GrantyBoy78

I thought Kenny and Holgate were awful yesterday. By no means the worst players on the pitch but once again it comes back to the argument that players shouldn’t be learning on the job at a club of our standing and with our apparent ambitions.

January 21, 2018, 08:57:47 PM
Reply #16

Martip

It's funny as JFK is classed as an attacking full back however doesn't look like scoring or creating.

The way our team is this is critical to goals and with him and Martins offering nowt it means we are easy to play against as we try and do it all through s congested middle of the field.

January 21, 2018, 09:01:43 PM
Reply #17

kramer0

Johnfitzgerald Kenny.

January 21, 2018, 09:14:53 PM
Reply #18

SANA_DR0

It's funny as JFK is classed as an attacking full back however doesn't look like scoring or creating.

The way our team is this is critical to goals and with him and Martins offering nowt it means we are easy to play against as we try and do it all through s congested middle of the field.

He isnt classed as one, he is one.. see his under 23games this year and last, see his england under 23 games.. its why he is likened to Coleman, and is known as Coleman mk2.

to me it looks like he has been ordered to punt the ball from deep(not his strong suit, his strong points are well..lets say Coleman-esque hence why he is compared to him a lot) He looks like he is trying to hard, earlier on in the season he was running down the line, doing 1-2s and getting to the bi line, since Allardyce has taken charge the BEST part of his game has been nullified.

Kennys an average defender at best, but what he has got is his attacking play. Sam's making him look like Martina mk2.

holgate made some vital interceptions yesterday, plus the goal. Williams was playing as a CM, left on his own against 2 WBA attackers. Again, Holgate has shown he can bring the ball out comfotabley(he did a pirouette Fellaini style and drove into the wba half) but more often than not, he just launches to our striker (Cenk or DCL or Niasse) who are totally isolated from the rest of the attacking players.

We have n o ball carrying midfielders. we had Barkley, but we have no one else who can transition the ball,

we need a decent manager before anything else.
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

January 21, 2018, 09:20:22 PM
Reply #19

Martip

He isnt classed as one, he is one.. see his under 23games this year and last, see his england under 23 games.. its why he is likened to Coleman, and is known as Coleman mk2.

to me it looks like he has been ordered to punt the ball from deep(not his strong suit, his strong points are well..lets say Coleman-esque hence why he is compared to him a lot) He looks like he is trying to hard, earlier on in the season he was running down the line, doing 1-2s and getting to the bi line, since Allardyce has taken charge the BEST part of his game has been nullified.

Kennys an average defender at best, but what he has got is his attacking play. Sam's making him look like Martina mk2.

holgate made some vital interceptions yesterday, plus the goal. Williams was playing as a CM, left on his own against 2 WBA attackers. Again, Holgate has shown he can bring the ball out comfotabley(he did a pirouette Fellaini style and drove into the wba half) but more often than not, he just launches to our striker (Cenk or DCL or Niasse) who are totally isolated from the rest of the attacking players.

We have n o ball carrying midfielders. we had Barkley, but we have no one else who can transition the ball,

we need a decent manager before anything else.
This is the thing in the best part of 80 odd games in total for clubs and country at different levels he's scored 1 goal and hasn't really looked a threat from what I've seen.

I was all up for giving him a chance but he's been very poor in recent weeks which is dissapointing.

January 21, 2018, 09:28:51 PM
Reply #20

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Kenny is definitely a defender first and foremost.

January 21, 2018, 09:38:57 PM
Reply #21

Lxxx

This is the thing in the best part of 80 odd games in total for clubs and country at different levels he's scored 1 goal and hasn't really looked a threat from what I've seen.

I was all up for giving him a chance but he's been very poor in recent weeks which is dissapointing.

Fuck me, have we moved on to crucifying Kenny now.

I despair sometimes.

January 21, 2018, 09:40:52 PM
Reply #22

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Kenny is definitely a defender first and foremost.
He's pretty solid, decent in the air but he drops so deep. I dunno why either

He's defo more Hibbert than Coleman

Simply simply lovely

January 21, 2018, 09:51:39 PM
Reply #23

Martip

Fuck me, have we moved on to crucifying Kenny now.

I despair sometimes.
Not at all....merely stating I can't see him as an effective attacking force and have been disappointed with his performances in recent weeks.

To be fair he should have been eased in rather than thrown and kept in.

January 21, 2018, 11:22:18 PM
Reply #24

Ridge

I agree with most of the replies, our defence is an issue because of injuries and aging players, but mainly because of how much they are expected to do. We can't really play out from the back, so we go long and give them back possession and brace for the next attack.

Holgate has looked like he's a very good defender and capable of improving further.

Kenny has been good, but he has limited options. Have noticed a few times how well he tracks back and helps out centre backs when ball is on the opposite side. But when he doesn't have to expend so much energy in defence, you'll see him more capable going forward.

Funes Mori could still turn out to be a good defender, and intrigued to see how he'd get on with Holgate.

I'd like to see what Garbutt can do, he's maybe too late to become a top level player, but he always looked decent, just had limited chances behind Baines.

Also we do have quite a few young players who could find their way into the team. Browning seems to have be doing alright at Sunderland. We spent a decent amount on Lewis Gibson, not sure Galloway or Pennington, but you never know.

Jags, Williams, Baines to be gone before long, all past their best and Keane has really struggled. But if we can replace them with comparatively good, younger players, we'd be back in business before long.

January 21, 2018, 11:55:54 PM
Reply #25

Rodenplav64

Coleman ( when fit ) Kenny , Holgate and Keane ( fine under Dyche ) need keeping and Jagielka would be worth hanging onto for experience alone . Williams and Martina are the 2 who need to move on . A decent LB is the priority and maybe another CH . Kenny might look more of a threat with something actually going down the left and with Walcott on his own side . The real problem is the middle and the lack of a mobile creative playmaker as opposed to five who can't create a single chance between them .

January 22, 2018, 01:40:49 AM
Reply #26

SANA_DR0

He's pretty solid, decent in the air but he drops so deep. I dunno why either

He's defo more Hibbert than Coleman

lol at more hibbert than coleman... nothing like hibbert,. he is very attacking, i presume he is dropping so deep due to Sams defensive tactics.. which include no running up the wing.
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

January 22, 2018, 02:03:04 AM
Reply #27

blue slug

I think kenny and holgate are both good first team prospects for the future unfortunately they are being thrown in at the deep end in a struggling team playing shit football

January 22, 2018, 02:52:56 AM
Reply #28

Shogun

Administrator
It's not ideal but of all our options, I want to see Holgate and Keane paired together for the remainder of the season.

Williams and Jagielka have no future here and neither of them are playing at a standard that it's inconceivable to drop them from the team.

We've spent £25m on Keane so it's stupid not to play him.

On paper, it's a pairing where they could make up for each other's limitations.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

January 22, 2018, 03:45:43 AM
Reply #29

Cereal Killer