June 23, 2018, 01:40:34 PM

Author Topic: New Defence Needed  (Read 3064 times)

January 16, 2018, 07:57:33 PM
Read 3064 times

gslick

From watching the team, it looks like the weak point is our defence.

We basically have these defenders to choose from

Baines
Jags
Mori
Williams
Keane
Holgate
Kenny
Martina
Coleman

Just looking at these, they are great players but they are either too old or not experienced enough.

Out of them, the only 3 players I would play if they where all fully fit would be Keane, Baines and Coleman.

I would like us to get rid of some CB's, bring in people with better quality as our defenders can't keep hold of the ball.

The minimum we need is a new LB and a new CB (left side) and get rid of the players who are never going to get a game like Besic

January 16, 2018, 08:07:26 PM
Reply #1

Cozzie

I personally think Holgate has shown enough the last few games to suggest in a few years time he will be a top player.

Not sold on Keane, Mori is average, Jags is too old now and Williams despite an upturn in form under Allardyce can't be relied on.

We need at least 2 solid CB's in in my opinion, and a long term replacement for Baines, fuck Martina off.

When Coleman is back I am more than happy with Kenny being his back up.

Hopefully make it the priority in the summer.

January 16, 2018, 08:14:52 PM
Reply #2

Lxxx

I may be in the minority but I don't think defence is our main issue.

When Coleman and Baines return we can get some balance and experience back into the side and then in the summer we look for a replacement for Baines and one more tall, dominant centre half. Baines becomes a 2nd choice full back, as does Kenny and Jags moves on. Leaving Holgate, Keane, Williams, Mori and A.N.Other. We can move one of Mori and Williams on and with Pickford in goal I don't think that looks bad at all.

My main concern is and has been for the past year the centre of the park.

January 16, 2018, 08:22:46 PM
Reply #3

Lincs Toffee

When Coleman and Baines return we can get some balance and experience back into the side and then in the summer we look for a replacement for Baines and one more tall, dominant centre half. Baines becomes a 2nd choice full back, as does Kenny and Jags moves on. Leaving Holgate, Keane, Williams, Mori and A.N.Other. We can move one of Mori and Williams on and with Pickford in goal I don't think that looks bad at all.

I pretty much agree with that, now where would we find a young dynamic midfielder that could dribble, pick a pass and get a few goals?....ahh fuck !!
I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that. - Dixie Dean

January 16, 2018, 08:25:54 PM
Reply #4

everton1952

I hear that Coleman is a long way off being fit for action and Baines not as long but long enough. That means we are stuck with the rookie  Kenny and the not very inspiring Cuco possibly until March/April. Do we spend money on stopgaps or stick with it in the hope that Coleman/Baines are fully match fit sooner than it presently appears? 

January 16, 2018, 08:37:15 PM
Reply #5

themilkycoffees

I pretty much agree with that, now where would we find a young dynamic midfielder that could dribble, pick a pass and get a few goals?....ahh fuck !!

Would be good if we could find one who does it consistently and not once every 4 or 5 games too...

January 16, 2018, 09:12:52 PM
Reply #6

Rodenplav64

I agree and despite having about 12 midfielders we need a creative one as otherwise we just give away possession going forward . Out of possession we leave the defence exposed through the middle despite the presence of Gana . Looked better with Rooney in the middle as he is creative going forward until he tires but long term I agree the middle is the issue .

January 20, 2018, 09:14:53 PM
Reply #7

gslick

I don't think any combination of players in our defence now will be good enough for the Premiership.

If we don't get a CB and a new LB this January then the season is over and we probably finish in the bottom 8

We are poor at the back, we have no confidence in passing or defending at the moment.

January 21, 2018, 05:14:21 PM
Reply #8

Morta75

If we don't buy a new defender I would stick with Holgate and Keane, they will come good when given chances and fait. They are the future, not jags or williams...
If we are looking to buy a new central defender goe for a up and coming lad, that want's to prove them self.

January 21, 2018, 05:55:44 PM
Reply #9

toshyboy

Its the midfield. Since Barrys gone have we bossed a game this season?? Midfield is key to everything, Barry ran that game yesterday at 37. defence and attack both rely on midfield. Only gana has been half decent this year. If we get nzonzi or a similar type to play alongside him then we might have base to work worth. Everyone said it was a forward so we got one, but same issues are there. Forwards only score if they have chances.

January 21, 2018, 06:22:44 PM
Reply #10

Lxxx

Its the midfield. Since Barrys gone have we bossed a game this season?? Midfield is key to everything, Barry ran that game yesterday at 37. defence and attack both rely on midfield. Only gana has been half decent this year. If we get nzonzi or a similar type to play alongside him then we might have base to work worth. Everyone said it was a forward so we got one, but same issues are there. Forwards only score if they have chances.

I know he has his limitations in terms of sloppy passing back there but Id be telling Rooney that's the future for him now.

Hes the only one who picks his head up and passes forwards.
No surprise the goal came from his flighted pass onto the head of Walcott, not just a % ball lifted aimlessly into the box.

The axis of Gana-Rooney-Sig needs to be given a go, fitness permitting. With Davies to alternate.

The defence should be more than capable of working on positionally till the end of the season and drilled to communicate to cut out the schoolboy errors of walkabout we see every week. 

January 21, 2018, 06:33:08 PM
Reply #11

Juanito

Full back are the glaring problem at the moment rather than centre backs. Keane will come good, Holgate is growing every game and Williams, Mori or Jags offer back up. Its having a youth team player at right back and a reserve right back at left back thats the problem.

January 21, 2018, 06:41:31 PM
Reply #12

SANA_DR0

in the last 2 months, Holgate has been out best performing defender,, even tho he had a rough time v Rondon, he made some vital interceptions, and covered Williams when he decided he was a midfielder.

Keane, hopefully will get back to last seasons form, once his injuries have been sorted. (most likely towards the end of the season)

Williams... recent upturn in form but besides that, almost on Martina Levels of performance,

Martina.. never rated him, even less so at left back..sometimes he seems to have good positioning and tracks the runs, but usually hes not switched on enough to play on the left hand side, i wont go into his lack of attacking.. Whenever we have Martina at right back.. our left hand side is not used at all.. makes it so easy for teams to play against us

Baines.. We should have got a replacement for him when we knew that Garbutt wasnt the one, least 4 years ago..its shocking and terrible recruitment/managment we  didnt get this sorted out years ago.

Jags, i feel he is better than he has shown, although im sure his age has caught up with him

Mori. always hated on NSNO, but was probably our best CB before he got injured... i'd lilke  him to stay and show what he can do, feel him Holgate and keane, would work great in a 3, aslong as we had 2 attacking fullbacks.

Kenny, he is an attackin right back, who loves 1-2's in the oppositions half,, but it seems like he isnt allowed to cross the half way line. all he is allowed to do is punt the ball down field.. why the fuck dont we use his best characteristics to help our team? yes he has been shit recently.. looks to me like he is trying to do way to much/work to hard..

as said above, defense isnt the issue, its the fact that we cant retain ball possession,  none of our CM's can keep the ball, or pass it forwards in a controlled manner.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 06:53:16 PM by SANA_DR0 »
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

January 21, 2018, 06:46:26 PM
Reply #13

Mayor Farnum

Yes but we'd have to buy a new one every six months to avoid us getting on their back.

January 21, 2018, 07:51:58 PM
Reply #14

GrantyBoy78

Agree that when players come back from injury and we add a couple, well be fine...but that doesnt stop us from, as you said before, putting out a Championship level defence for the immediate future.