November 14, 2018, 09:06:48 PM

Author Topic: Is Schneiderlin a bad player?  (Read 12556 times)

January 22, 2018, 03:44:53 AM
Read 12556 times

kramer0

When you take stock of our squad, who do we really have that moves the ball forward effectively from deep?

Rooney? Baines? Davies? Keane? That's grim.

There's a real lack of care to how this squad was constructed. All of our players might be good in an absolute terms but they don't complement each other at all. There's room in the team for a safe ball-mover in defensive midfield but that player will look pretty bad if there's no one else to move it forward effectively.

Schneiderlin doesn't help his cause by hiding from the ball and generally looking off the pace. But a big part of the reason things feel so toxic is that it's near impossible to put out a functional eleven with this group of players.

And our recruitment team seems totally ignorant of the issue. We've gone for goalscorers when what we really need is midfielders, wingers, and full backs who get us into the final third consistently. Walcott and Tosun might be good but they aren't fixing what's really broken.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:03:27 AM by kramer0 »

January 22, 2018, 10:52:56 PM
Reply #1

kramer0

He just seems unable to do anything with or without the ball. I'm sure (someone correct me if I am wrong) but at Southampton I'm pretty sure he used to surge forward with the ball and stride through midfield. I always remember Wanyama as the sitting player and he used to influence play more. Maybe it was at a time he was trying to impress and earn his big move away or he may have been hungrier/happier or my memory is playing tricks on me.

I've been thinking about that myself. Schneiderlin may have been a little more ambitious at the time but I think he and Wanyama were both holding players first and foremost.

That Southampton team had a lot of player types we don't and there's a good chance that those other things are what made the two DM approach work, at least in terms of build-ups:

- two attacking fullbacks (Bertrand, Clyne)
- an effective box-to-box midfielder (Davis)
- a genuinely good creative passer (Tadic)

Maybe Tom Davies is a good box-to-box player (maybe) but we're currently hurting for fullbacks that contribute to build-ups and anyone who can pick a pass in the final third.

(Probably also helped their cause to have Pelle (target man) and Mane/Elia/Long (pace!!!) when they needed to play more directly.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:58:57 PM by kramer0 »

January 23, 2018, 04:51:33 AM
Reply #2

kramer0

Going to get shit for this but donít forget lallana. A fantastic pass and move midfielder who again is a classic ball hog.

Yes, true.

Lallana was the playmaker when Pochettino was in charge, Tadic replaced him after they both left.

January 29, 2018, 08:58:14 PM
Reply #3

kramer0

£20m plus no chance of ever seeing the Gana/Schneiderlin gruesome twosome again?

I like Schneiderlin more than most but... sold.

January 29, 2018, 09:24:32 PM
Reply #4

kramer0

Wouldn't be such a bad move to try Sigurdsson in Schneiderlin's place with the protection of Gueye next to him, if the move comes off. I think he could make a pretty decent midfielder and extend his career there. He's never a £45m one but we are where we are. 

Agreed. Gana gives us the ability to play with two box-to-box midfielders, provided he actually stays in position (which he has done when asked to play as a lone DM this season).

Gana-Sigurdsson-Davies
Gana-Rooney-Davies
Gana-Rooney-Sigurdsson (probably not going to happen based on Allardyce's comments)

I'd be happy with any of those midfield configurations.

January 29, 2018, 09:41:12 PM
Reply #5

kramer0

I'd even factor Klaassan in there if he can prove he has a little more cojones to his game than he first showed. We're now starting to get some pace and movement back into the team which would probably suit his game a lot more as he looks like his strengths are manipulating the ball quickly to build and then finish attacks, which should in theory be easier with players around him who are now a little more mobile and offensive.

I'd like another look at Klaassen but I'm resigned to the fact that Allardyce wants to get rid of him.

January 29, 2018, 10:15:47 PM
Reply #6

kramer0

Unless Sam was told he has to make £20m of room before he can add another £20m midfielder (N'zonzi?) into the squad, and Klaassan was the obvious fall guy. Before Moyes rode to the rescue.
I agree he must be worth a second look if he doesn't go this window.

More like £20m to make room for van Aanholt.

January 29, 2018, 10:19:34 PM
Reply #7

kramer0

Please don't

Sorry. Whispers from reliable sources on other forums that Allardyce rejected Walsh's left back shortlist and wants his old pal.

Brace yourself.

January 29, 2018, 10:22:05 PM
Reply #8

kramer0

January 29, 2018, 10:41:46 PM
Reply #9

kramer0

As much as I want him gone, it wouldn't be the best squad management to sell a first team player right at the end of the window with not much time to replace.

I'm not too arsed about a replacement myself and I'd love to see more of beni, but can understand why the club would be reluctant to sell.

I see the logic in that. But I'm with you in not being bothered about a replacement.

I can't think of a coherent lineup that includes Schneiderlin and I think that's a big part of why we're seeing the absolute worst of him.

January 30, 2018, 04:57:30 PM
Reply #10

kramer0

Does Allardyce bring Davies back in or does he try the Gana/Schneiderlin nightmare some more?

January 30, 2018, 09:04:38 PM
Reply #11

kramer0

When is the last time we played well without Davies? Sad as it is, I think he's one of our most influential players.

I don't see why his form is a stick to beat him with. Everyone in this team is out of form. At least Davies tries stuff.

January 30, 2018, 09:32:44 PM
Reply #12

kramer0

The Davies/Gana/Rooney midfield is the only one that seems to work of the one's we've tried.

Yep. I think you could swap Sigurdsson for Rooney and make it work too.

Davies-Gana are non-negotiable for me.