August 19, 2018, 10:55:46 PM

Author Topic: Southport v Everton memories  (Read 490 times)

January 27, 2018, 09:23:48 PM
Read 490 times

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
There's an article in the Echo email (that arrives every day) about it being 50 years since we beat Southport away in the FA Cup.
There can't be many on here who were there to back this little story up but it's a reminder how things have changed.
Remember getting in the ground early and looking for a decent spec behind the goal. It was expected to be packed and in those days there were always rumours of thousands of ticketless blues turning up and they break in etc so even in those days there was a security operation.
Found a decent spot and the terracing was filling up quick. Turned to the pitch and leaned on the barrier I was next to and it rocked forward! Moved away rather quickly and think I later saw it being taken out over the heads of fans.  Funny in one way but I suppose that attitude to safety eventually contributed to Hillsborough.
Can't remember much else about the game!!
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

January 28, 2018, 01:39:26 AM
Reply #1

Ramjam

Bring back the good  old days of the terrace, we could call it safe standing or rail seating
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

January 30, 2018, 09:36:06 PM
Reply #2

Bingham Boy

There's an article in the Echo email (that arrives every day) about it being 50 years since we beat Southport away in the FA Cup.
There can't be many on here who were there to back this little story up but it's a reminder how things have changed.
Remember getting in the ground early and looking for a decent spec behind the goal. It was expected to be packed and in those days there were always rumours of thousands of ticketless blues turning up and they break in etc so even in those days there was a security operation.
Found a decent spot and the terracing was filling up quick. Turned to the pitch and leaned on the barrier I was next to and it rocked forward! Moved away rather quickly and think I later saw it being taken out over the heads of fans.  Funny in one way but I suppose that attitude to safety eventually contributed to Hillsborough.
They would have been a league team back then wouldn't they. Division 3 or 4. In the early 60s I noticed we played Kings Lynn that would've been interesting.

January 30, 2018, 09:49:53 PM
Reply #3

bacon sarnie

That takes me back.....gang fights on Southport beach and bunking in to decrepit football grounds. Southport fair was ace for picking up fanny though. The Waltzers & bumper cars.....bliss!

January 30, 2018, 09:52:32 PM
Reply #4

formerKHL

I remember playing at southport once and it was blowing a gale....

the corner flags were just pushed in the ground in them days....and at one point the wind blew it out and it went spinning away, flew into the air and stuck in the ground just inside the 18 yard box!!!

January 30, 2018, 10:12:22 PM
Reply #5

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
That takes me back.....gang fights on Southport beach and bunking in to decrepit football grounds. Southport fair was ace for picking up fanny though. The Waltzers & bumper cars.....bliss!
There were more important things for me then ' football.  🙄
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.