June 23, 2018, 03:37:09 PM

Author Topic: Cuco Martina  (Read 1591 times)

February 01, 2018, 04:57:06 PM
Read 1591 times

Bigjmill

Let's start off by saying I am not trying to start off a pro-Cuco Martina thread. However, I thought he had one of his better games last night and I have a theory about this.

The reason, in short, is the return of Coleman.

Why? I 100% believe that when a player is "weak" or "young and unproven" in a position, you tend to get the player/s next to him covering. Unfortunately for us, we have had 2 cases of this on both sides of defence, Martina and Kenny. Both left and right centre-backs have been or should have pushed wide to help them out, causing gaps in our defence. The wingers have been dropping deep just to cover for both of them also which will be to the detriment of our attack.

Now that Coleman is back, the right wing will not be overly worried and the right-sided centre-back will trust whats going on to the right of him too.

In turn, this means that only the left side will cover as they have been and Martina will get allot more protection because there will be less space in the middle for the centre-backs to worry about.

If Coleman stays fit then the rest is history. Just wait until we get Baines back as well! Bliss.
REMOVED FOOTER TO SHUT Sir Stealth Up !

February 01, 2018, 05:08:06 PM
Reply #1

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Let's start off by saying I am not trying to start off a pro-Cuco Martina thread. However, I thought he had one of his better games last night and I have a theory about this.

Why? I 100% believe that when a player is "weak" or "young and unproven" in a position, you tend to get the player/s next to him covering. Unfortunately for us, we have had 2 cases of this on both sides of defence, Martina and Kenny. Both left and right centre-backs have been or should have pushed wide to help them out, causing gaps in our defence. The wingers have been dropping deep just to cover for both of them also which will be to the detriment of our attack.

Now that Coleman is back, the right wing will not be overly worried and the right-sided centre-back will trust whats going on to the right of him too.

In turn, this means that only the left side will cover as they have been and Martina will get allot more protection because there will be less space in the middle for the centre-backs to worry about.

If Coleman stays fit then the rest is history. Just wait until we get Baines back as well! Bliss.

Very good point that. May be why we saw a return to form of Keane as well. Still learning his trade as well but, when playing, has been asked to keep an eye on the right flank as well as do his own job.

February 02, 2018, 01:37:56 AM
Reply #2

eyesalwaysblue

Out of position, the lads tried his rocks off and done ok for me, did well last night....
I still despise Clive Thomas..

February 02, 2018, 01:48:59 AM
Reply #3

mikey_blue

Out of position, the lads tried his rocks off and done ok for me, did well last night....

Set up the goal and blocked one off the line like.

February 02, 2018, 01:52:43 AM
Reply #4

gizzblue

I'm a big critic of Coco but he deffo had his best game by far last night .
Long may his improvement continue till old Bainsey is back anyway 😅

February 02, 2018, 01:53:38 AM
Reply #5

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber

Just wait until we get Baines back as well! Bliss.
Great post until this. Baines has been a great servant and a great player, but I'm afraid we will never see the old Baines Again. Seems like his legs are getting old and his mind is on more serious matters than football

February 02, 2018, 03:45:53 AM
Reply #6

gizzblue

Great post until this. Baines has been a great servant and a great player, but I'm afraid we will never see the old Baines Again. Seems like his legs are getting old and his mind is on more serious matters than football
Still world's better than Coco (despite playing well last night)he's nowhere near Baines even now.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:47:33 AM by gizzblue »

February 02, 2018, 03:50:36 AM
Reply #7

Shogun

Administrator
Had a good game and is still absolutely nowhere near good enough for us.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

February 02, 2018, 05:17:52 AM
Reply #8

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
He's been sound over the last few weeks.

He is what he is.

February 13, 2018, 06:29:05 PM
Reply #9

Macca77

February 14, 2018, 02:21:57 AM
Reply #10

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
He's been sound over the last few weeks.

He is what he is.

Had a discussion with an arl arse in the Top Balcony on Saturday (Who coincidently disappeared 10 mins before h/t and never returned) who wasn't having that i wasnt agreeing with him and that he wasnt he worst full back we've ever had.

I said Gary Naysmith, Terry Phelan and Pistone were borderline as bad as him in their natural positions, let alone if they were asked to play right back.

All he did until he disappeared was moan and make 'uh oh' noises anytime the ball went near Mangala or call Niasse shite.  It was almosy like there was a pattern to it....
Cordiali saluti, motherfuckers.

February 14, 2018, 04:36:07 AM
Reply #11

Thornton_19

It's not his fault he is not good enough to be our first team LB let alone RB. He works hard, he just lacks quality.
I can forgive a lack of quality for a player who works hard and this lad does.

February 14, 2018, 04:40:53 AM
Reply #12

Lxxx

To be fair to him hes getting more comfortable in that position every passing week.

February 14, 2018, 06:33:26 AM
Reply #13

Ridge

He came in as a squad player, nobody thought we were signing Cafu. Only 4 players have started more games, only 2 have more assists, only Gueye has averaged more passes and tackles per game, only Keane averages more interceptions per game. That is above expectations and at the same time a bit depressing.

He's rarely been wanting for effort when others around him have been. I'd rather have Cuco as a squad player than some of the other players we paid 20m+ with intention of going into first team.

I'd expect a first team left back signing to happen in summer, and I'd be hoping we develop a youth player to challenge him. At the moment we have neither and Baines isn't getting any younger or more energetic. Cuco is an experienced player with his best few years ahead of him, can fill in on both sides and could probably make a better go at centre back if things went tits up.

I don't think long term you'd want him to be here, but there's quite a few you'd replace or move on before him and he represents continuity more than most. In terms of fee, wages, value for money, he's been one of the better bits of business.

February 14, 2018, 07:00:06 AM
Reply #14

bogie

if he was your cover (3rd choice RB RWB LB LWB CB (would be 5th/6th for that ) and DM that he like jags has played a bit then yes having him about is all good and well but it really need to be just that
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:34:12 PM by bogie »