October 18, 2018, 07:59:25 AM

Author Topic: The race for Europe  (Read 8980 times)

February 11, 2018, 02:21:00 AM
Read 8980 times

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I know what youre saying but not wanting to be in Europe just so were in a better position to qualify for it next season seems illogical.

Its logical if you dont think were ready to compete on multiple fronts yet.

Id much rather get into Europe on the back of a really good PL season with a growing confidence of a functioning team than limp after one like this and risk another season like this where weve moved from the best of the rest (of the top teams) to the best of the rest (mediocrity in the rest of the league).

Above all else we need a good PL season next year and try and close the gap to the teams we want to be competing with above us.

February 11, 2018, 02:43:55 AM
Reply #1

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Cherry picking here, but what do you think it would require for us to be able to compete on multiple fronts?

A more competitive squad, for instance we seem like we have one functioning line up for midfield this season and when we dont play certain players we dont have the depth to adequately replace them. We see already how important Walcott is to us, and its a pretty big drop in quality right now if were throwing in Bolasie instead. A settled/composed defence would also be nice. A team that has proven it can compete with the bigger clubs in the PL so were ready for the tougher games in the Europa League. Likely a different manager who also has shown they can compete on that sort of level too.

February 11, 2018, 05:30:30 AM
Reply #2

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Do we need that added competition for places if we don't have the extra games? If we're only playing in the domestic competitions, are there enough minutes to keep everyone happy? I mean, that drop from Walcott to Bolasie is actually a fair bit better than most teams have.
Will we be able to attract the players needed to compete with the bigger clubs in the PL if we don't have Europa League? Say Leicester finish ahead of us in 7th, why exactly would a player choose to come to us over them? On the other side of things, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest playing the tougher Europa League games more regularly would actually leave us better prepared for games against the top 6.
Agree with these.

These are all solid points.

On the playing time issue, do you think players if they are only playing in the EL see that as equal time to playing in the PL? I take your point in general more games, particularly for up and coming players is beneficial. I suppose overall Im saying I want to make sure we can walk before we try to run. Get a starting XI right, which I think were still a a few players away from, get a solid bench that gives you options. We should have enough domestic games to keep 18-20 players happy.

As to why Leicester or us, probably only money right now. I doubt in general think the EL is anything like the pull the CL is though, its a nicety.

February 11, 2018, 05:47:04 AM
Reply #3

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
What would people want out of the following two options;

1. We have a strong finish to the season, get 7th, qualify for Europe and allardyce stays on for another year.

2. We flounder to 9th, allardyce is gone and we get a new manager in and start again.

As much as I don't want him here next year, you have to say if he gets us Europe he probably deserves to stay on. Although I'd like us to show some balls and get rid whatever happens.

Always want us to finish as high as possible.

Ideally itd be 7th, but Id rather this year that wouldnt mean Europa League, we get a new manager in with enough time to prepare for the season, and also time to identify and fix the more glaring issues in the squad. We cant forget how many games this season weve been torn apart and conceded so many goals, there are still real issues with this squad and manager.

February 24, 2018, 08:27:36 PM
Reply #4

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Leicester only draw at home to Stoke meaning we'll go above them with a win.

We dont win away from home though do we?

February 24, 2018, 10:36:28 PM
Reply #5

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Burnley take the lead

As much as Im not a big fan of the  Allardyce appointment, Im still glad we didnt get Dyche. Hed have been on a much longer contract and wed probably have had to stick with him longer. The football Burnley is playing is turgid stuff and I cant imagine people wouldve been happy with that long term.

March 03, 2018, 08:38:33 PM
Reply #6

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Unquestionably over now.