October 21, 2018, 09:51:59 AM

Author Topic: The race for Europe  (Read 9037 times)

February 11, 2018, 03:47:55 AM
Read 9037 times

Lxxx

Trouble is if we get Europe, ( incredible to even think that after this season ) does that mean Allardyce stays, can we sack him, seriously ?

Absolutely. The top clubs sack managers all the time if better ones become available. Same with players. The elite clubs strengthen when they're doing well, it's the opportune time to upgrade. We need to stop thinking like the old Everton.

February 11, 2018, 02:12:53 PM
Reply #1

Lxxx

We get to 7th, Allardyce and Walsh are bombed off. A new clued up DoF is appointed and a modern manager

I donít see why people think this isnít an acceptable way to go for a club with any ambition.

February 11, 2018, 04:36:24 PM
Reply #2

Lxxx

Honestly, thereís a massive disconnect between expectations on here around the chances of SA being fired and the reality.

He was already talking yesterday about making plans for next season.

There is no appetite at the top of the club to fire SA if meets or exceeds their expectations. Which he will.

He wasn't really. It was a half arsed attempt at mentioning forward planning, after first saying let's get to 40 points. Which in itself was an absurd statement to be making in public for a team 2 points off 7th.

Anyone can aim for the gutter and proclaim success when we don't fall that low.

February 14, 2018, 07:47:05 PM
Reply #3

Lxxx

Watford, Burnley, Brighton and Stoke as next four we should be aiming for a minimum of 6 points from those. If we've learnt anything from the West Brom and Bournemouth games it's that we need to focus on our own game away from home and not chop and change to cater for teams who don't have as much quality as we have. We undoubtedly will though.

February 15, 2018, 12:47:50 AM
Reply #4

Lxxx

We should be 'aiming' for 12 points from those.  We won't get 12, but theres not a game there we shouldnt be going out to win.

I agree but our away form the past 12 months has been shocking and the way Sam sets us up away from home means the likelihood of us winning a game of football is even slimmer. At the very least we shouldn't be losing those games therefore the bare minimum return should be 6 points under him.

February 15, 2018, 12:55:55 AM
Reply #5

Lxxx

Thats the difference between 'should' and 'will' though.  We should be setting out to win the games.  Allardyce won't do that because;
A)It's not in his interest not to drag out getting to 40 points
B)He's a shithouse still thinking he's managing Sunderland

If he doesnt think we'll get 7th right now then he'll carry on with going for the home games and trying to kill the aways.  If he says we're going for 7th and doesnt get it then he's failed.  If he drags it out making it look hard then he can keep up with his 'Well Everton have been shite away from home long before i got here...' spiel as an excuse.

I agree which is why I think him and mentality should be nowhere near a club that has aspirations on progressing as a club and chasing the top 6.

February 15, 2018, 01:16:10 AM
Reply #6

Lxxx

But again you don't see the woods for the trees....Sam doesn't believe in youth any kid worth his salt would want out....you could say contrary judging by this season here but ... if BFS had any choice none of the kids would've got a look in.

I don't think he would be against kids as a general rule it's just that his safety first attitude and 'they cost £xm quid so I'll play them' mentality means he's going to favour experience over anything else. He's a retired football manager so he's not going to change his views now, we knew what we were getting when we hired him. Moshiri even read his autobiography so nothing should come as a shock.

February 18, 2018, 11:42:39 PM
Reply #7

Lxxx

We're not going to get any higher than seventh for the foreseeable future so if Sam delivers it he should at least get another season.

Why should we all bother then hey. What's the point in even supporting a football team if there's no excitement in it, no hope, no expectation, just treading water for a bit. We're Everton not fuckin Chester. We've got a billionaire owner, a spanking new stadium in the works, top 10 highest spenders in European football but let's just forfeit a season, meet you all back here next summer and we'll have another crack at it.

February 26, 2018, 03:51:09 PM
Reply #8

Lxxx

Got to be the worst bunch of teams in recent memory vying for Europa League. Everyone keeps slipping up most weeks but no-one changes places. Poor, poor league.

February 28, 2018, 03:29:08 PM
Reply #9

Lxxx

I just think its an albatross round your neck and we have enough of a mess to sort out and players coming off the back of the World Cup . We need to get a decent start in the league without the distraction of qualifying for the Europe Group stages .

We need to keep qualifying for Europe every year until we get it right. You can't just put your aspirations and targets on hold for a bit because it's not quite the right time.

February 28, 2018, 07:28:37 PM
Reply #10

Lxxx

A good, competent Director of Football should already be working on two scenarios for the summer, one for a 7th placed finish and one for another.

It's this kind of planning that you'd expect for a professionally run outfit and it's only this kind of planning that will enable us to learn and better safely navigate the extra demands Europe puts on a squad.

Until we get a board and executive team in place who can put together a strategy that transcends managerial changes we'll still struggle to get any stability on the playing side.

February 28, 2018, 09:49:01 PM
Reply #11

Lxxx

We appeared to have done that this season but ended up coming on our own face . It is one thing sounding like a big club and another one acting like one . We are a long way off in so many ways .

But you donít stop just because we make a pigs ear of everything at the minute. You keep on plugging away in the hope lessons are learned.