November 15, 2018, 06:07:58 AM

Author Topic: How should we set up away?  (Read 2565 times)

February 13, 2018, 04:51:53 PM
Reply #15

dekko

I wouldnít mind a back three but not one of slow, static hoofers with Martina as a left wing back - that was horrendous.

I remember Holgate played so well against City at Goodison last season as the right sided centre half and it looked like his best position. I would like to see;

Pickford
       Holgate Keane  Mori
Coleman  Gana  Davies  Baines
    Walcott  Tosun  Sigurdsson

Have we ever ever ever ever played well with 3 at the back?

February 13, 2018, 04:55:39 PM
Reply #16

gizzblue

I'm actually he hoping BFS  learned a lesson about not fucking with the shape and team after a win .

Here's hoping we don't revert to shithouse tactics .
Born not made a blue .

February 13, 2018, 05:00:41 PM
Reply #17

Ross

Donít see why it needs to be any different itís not like weíre expansive at home anyway under Allardyce.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

February 13, 2018, 05:12:30 PM
Reply #18

sam of the south

I havenít used 12 players, 5 at the back refers to Pickford and whatever 4 gimps we are able to put out in front of him.

Oh I see, mate.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

February 13, 2018, 05:21:53 PM
Reply #19

Fynci

If we've got any ambitions of finishing 7th - though I suspect our manager/DoF will view that as a poisoned chalice - then the only way we're going to do that is if we set up to try and win the games.

On that note then, it's probably a good idea to play the midfield that's actually won us games this year.

We've done fuck all without Rooney and Davies in the side this season and while we might lose some solidity playing them away, winning one and losing one picks up more points than drawing two.

Have we any ambition to finish 7th? I suspect Sam would consider 10th place a job well done.

February 13, 2018, 05:27:18 PM
Reply #20

bogie

Itís clearly a problem for us and has been a while. Last time iI remember us being half OK away from home was Martinez was it? Think that was a team with more pace and goals on the break and wouldnít be surprised if that was the answer...

Back 5

Beni Rooney Gana (more tackles and work?)

Walcott DCL Bolasie (more pace but less guile, plenty of work from DCL and will keep the ball well?)

Donít think we can play the same way away from home and we need to find some kind of formula...

you no after getting banned I said I would not get into it with shit calls but in the name of god man Bolasie do you watch are games at all
if we can get any money for him in the summer take it and run

February 13, 2018, 05:33:26 PM
Reply #21

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
you no after getting banned I said I would not get into it with shit calls but in the name of god man Bolasie do you watch are games at all
if we can get any money for him in the summer take it and run

"I'm not sure Bolasie is consistent enough to play him away from home where we'll be on the back foot for most of the game. Letting him run at tired defences at home is about as much as i would allow for him. He's one of the first players we should be looking at selling in the summer"

You see how it's possible to get an opinion across without denigrating somebody?

February 13, 2018, 05:33:54 PM
Reply #22

mikey_blue

Pickford
Coleman Holgate Keane Martina
                    Gana
              Davies Rooney
Walcott        Niasse            Sig

February 13, 2018, 05:38:09 PM
Reply #23

GrantyBoy78

Our best team

Pickford
Coleman CB CB LB
Rooney Gana Davies
Walcott ST Sigurdsson

Have we acatually played anything like that away from home this season?
No, because we havenít had Coleman or a LB most of the time.

Obviously we have to be more assertive and attacking but even when we were solid under Koeman, last year, we still had an awful away record.

Thereís a fundamental issue with the mental toughness of the squad and Iím not sure how we address it tbh.

February 13, 2018, 05:40:28 PM
Reply #24

bogie

"I'm not sure Bolasie is consistent enough to play him away from home where we'll be on the back foot for most of the game. Letting him run at tired defences at home is about as much as i would allow for him. He's one of the first players we should be looking at selling in the summer"

You see how it's possible to get an opinion across without denigrating somebody?

I am not getting into all that BUT I do hope it went both ways

I don't even think we should risk playing him in the last 10 mins of home games for the team and he might get a leg break then we are stuck with him

give davy klaassen his spot on the bench him coming on for Tom Davis for the last 15/20 would make more sense

February 13, 2018, 07:08:52 PM
Reply #25

dazfrancis

Pickford
Coleman Holgate Keane Martina
                    Gana
              Davies Rooney
Walcott        Niasse            Sig

Have we actually tried to play our best 11 away from home?

If I was going to switch it up for away I may think about only having one of Rooney or Sig playing in Central midfield and having Vlasic or DCL play on the wing.

I definitely wouldn't play 5 at the back and that means we defend deeper. We should be trying to block our opponents playing through midfield

February 13, 2018, 07:31:04 PM
Reply #26

Juanito

Have we ever ever ever ever played well with 3 at the back?

Like I said, City at Goodison last season 4-0.

February 13, 2018, 07:35:53 PM
Reply #27

Dr. Sponge

Some consistency in personnel would help.

I think our best team is obvious at the moment, barring the centre halves who all seem a varying degree of below par.

Pickford

Coleman Holgate Jag Martina

Rooney Gueye Davies

Walcott Niasse Sig

Although I still feel we're handicapped by Martina and Niasse.

February 13, 2018, 08:08:38 PM
Reply #28

Waltzer

If we are to progress I think its a massive overhaul:

Pickford

Coleman   XXXXX          XXXXX         XXXXX

Walcott     XXXXX          XXXXX         Lookman

Sigurdsson

XXXXXX

February 13, 2018, 09:02:07 PM
Reply #29

mikey_blue

Have we actually tried to play our best 11 away from home?

If I was going to switch it up for away I may think about only having one of Rooney or Sig playing in Central midfield and having Vlasic or DCL play on the wing.

I definitely wouldn't play 5 at the back and that means we defend deeper. We should be trying to block our opponents playing through midfield

We should be playing to win and to build some team chemistry. Switching to defensive approaches and getting nobbed 4-0 anyway doesn't make much sense to me.