June 18, 2018, 02:59:13 PM

Author Topic: [News]Allardyce: We've turned the club around  (Read 3767 times)

February 25, 2018, 04:26:12 PM
Reply #45

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
We finished 11th under Martinez. Twice.

Even Allardyce wonít have us sinking that low.

February 25, 2018, 04:44:27 PM
Reply #46

Lxxx

Even Allardyce won’t have us sinking that low.

In truth there's not much difference between 7th and 17th at the minute, so league positions below 6th aren't really a great barometer of progress. It's the direction the club is heading which needs to be used as an indicator and we're stagnating, badly.

February 25, 2018, 04:44:49 PM
Reply #47

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

Even Allardyce wonít have us sinking that low.

Only because of the teams around us.

Truth is there's been no real upturn in results during his reign here.

February 25, 2018, 04:50:53 PM
Reply #48

Rodenplav64

Even Allardyce won’t have us sinking that low.

You sure of that ?

February 25, 2018, 04:52:25 PM
Reply #49

AllyBlue14

To quote the film, Vanilla Sky, 'every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around'.

And I agree with that. There's no such thing as being doomed, in my view. Essentially you just need to start making better decisions from now, and that applies equally to a person's life or running a club.

We're not resigned to our fate. We just need to start making better decisions and this season can be viewed as a crazy aberration, and nothing more. Lots of clubs have had awful seasons and terrible managerial appointments and then quickly reversed it and left it behind them.

We need to view it like that, quite dispassionately.

I don't agree with a lot of what you say, to be honest, but this sums it up exactly.

We are definitely in a better position (table-wise) than when Allardyce arrived and I think the board will look at that first and foremost. But the margin between us and the bottom is getting smaller, while we seem to be getting further away from the top 6. If Allardyce doesn't work out - and it increasingly appears he isn't going to - the board needs to make sure they take the time to identify the best and most realistic target to take us forward in the long-term.

February 25, 2018, 05:02:31 PM
Reply #50

Bluedylan

I don't agree with a lot of what you say, to be honest, but this sums it up exactly.

We are definitely in a better position (table-wise) than when Allardyce arrived and I think the board will look at that first and foremost. But the margin between us and the bottom is getting smaller, while we seem to be getting further away from the top 6. If Allardyce doesn't work out - and it increasingly appears he isn't going to - the board needs to make sure they take the time to identify the best and most realistic target to take us forward in the long-term.

I appreciate the olive branch but I suspect we're still in disagreement, broadly speaking. I don't think the plan was ever to keep Allardyce beyond this season. I don't have an overwhelming body of evidence to support that. It's more intuition.

I think Moshiri is and was holding his nose, while appointing Allardyce, viewing it as a necessary evil in the short term. If that is the case, I disagree with him but I can understand it.

Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

February 25, 2018, 05:14:21 PM
Reply #51

Lxxx

I appreciate the olive branch but I suspect we're still in disagreement, broadly speaking. I don't think the plan was ever to keep Allardyce beyond this season. I don't have an overwhelming body of evidence to support that. It's more intuition.

I think Moshiri is and was holding his nose, while appointing Allardyce, viewing it as a necessary evil in the short term. If that is the case, I disagree with him but I can understand it.

My only concern is that on past evidence he doesn't look like he's a great fan of due diligence, to make sure the next appointment is a good fit for the club for the short and medium term. Which is surprising for an accountant used to conducting large financial transactions. 

February 25, 2018, 05:19:59 PM
Reply #52

AllyBlue14

I agree pretty much entirely, right up until the last point. I think we were in such a mess after the Southampton game that once it became apparent we weren't going to get Silva, appointing Allardyce became a necessity. Personally, I was against Silva anyway as I don't think he'd really given much cause for believing that he could stop the rot, particularly defensively.

If results/performances don't turn around, it then becomes a question of how long we keep Allardyce. Sack him and bring in someone else for the short-term or hold on and wait for someone who could hopefully stick around longer (assuming they're not already available). That's my only real allegiance to Sam at the moment - there's no point binning him off and then bumbling around starting the manager search from scratch again.

February 25, 2018, 05:25:38 PM
Reply #53

Lxxx

I agree pretty much entirely, right up until the last point. I think we were in such a mess after the Southampton game that once it became apparent we weren't going to get Silva, appointing Allardyce became a necessity. Personally, I was against Silva anyway as I don't think he'd really given much cause for believing that he could stop the rot, particularly defensively.

If results/performances don't turn around, it then becomes a question of how long we keep Allardyce. Sack him and bring in someone else for the short-term or hold on and wait for someone who could hopefully stick around longer (assuming they're not already available). That's my only real allegiance to Sam at the moment - there's no point binning him off and then bumbling around starting the manager search from scratch again.

Agreed. No point in binning him now, even though we'd like to. It'd send out the wrong message to everyone that we are even more of a joke than we are. We need to maintain some kind of respectability and we're not getting relegated, so suck it up until the end of the season and use these next few months wisely to conduct a proper search and conduct a thorough interview process at the end of the season. For both the DoF and manager's positions.

None of this chasing manager's based on name, like Koeman, or appointing in panic, like Allardyce. Or without any reasoning other than a hunch, like Walsh.

February 25, 2018, 05:28:15 PM
Reply #54

Tinga

Nah you're just turning fans away, haven't watched Everton for a few weeks now and probably wont until he's gone.

February 25, 2018, 05:45:27 PM
Reply #55

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Nah you're just turning fans away, haven't watched Everton for a few weeks now and probably wont until he's gone.

Yet every home game has been and will be a sell out, away tickets mostly impossible to get unless you are an ST holder with at least ten credits.

February 25, 2018, 05:55:00 PM
Reply #56

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Yet every home game has been and will be a sell out, away tickets mostly impossible to get unless you are an ST holder with at least ten credits.

There always empty seats though.

A lot of ST holders seem to have packed it in.

I know a few by me who have jibbed it.

February 25, 2018, 06:02:48 PM
Reply #57

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
There always empty seats though.

A lot of ST holders seem to have packed it in.

I know a few by me who have jibbed it.
Thatís also true, a couple near me been empty a while, donít know why they donít put them on stub hub.

February 25, 2018, 06:04:15 PM
Reply #58

AllyBlue14

So who do we appoint as our 4th manager this season?

February 25, 2018, 06:11:32 PM
Reply #59

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
That's also true, a couple near me been empty a while, don't know why they don't put them on stub hub.
My mates put his up last three games and it's not sold
Simply simply lovely