March 24, 2018, 08:33:34 AM

Author Topic: Pienaar  (Read 1540 times)

March 01, 2018, 04:27:58 PM
Reply #30

Made me nostalgic for players who can actually dribble rather than doing pointless tricks, you watch the way Arteta, Osman and Pienaar go past players there and it's obvious it's something were sorely lacking now.

March 01, 2018, 04:42:27 PM
Reply #31

Loved piennaar...main reason me son loved going to watch everton..

used to crack me up when he ws shooting...his shots were either crap or a goal....
as mentioned above I remember the goal where he came off the bench and literally jogged up front and first touch slotted into the corner..( I remember it being against sunderland..but not sure)..

Was it this one? About 1 min 30 in. If it wasn't, still a class goal.

March 01, 2018, 05:04:02 PM
Reply #32

YUP that's the one.....thought it was sunderland..

at least got the stripey shirts right...DOH!!

March 01, 2018, 06:03:34 PM
Reply #33

Watching the ball be played into Pienaarís feet, him Holding the ball up to wait for Baines to cruise by on the overlap. You could just see fullbacks head fall off.

March 01, 2018, 06:27:53 PM
Reply #34

Bluenose 91

Deserved to win something that little generation of blues.

The 09 final was the moment. Win that and i genuinely think we would have kicked on.

Yeah I was going to say this too.

Real shame the likes of Arteta, Pienaar, Cahill, Jagielka and Baines didn't win something with us.

March 01, 2018, 06:28:32 PM
Reply #35

NSNO Subscriber
Canít remember if Iíve already commented in this thread but yes, what a little player. Desperately need technicians of his calibre in the league at the moment never mind at Everton.

Some of those goals, the football is stunning.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 01, 2018, 06:33:32 PM
Reply #36

One of my favourite Everton players ever. Serially underrated by outsiders.

I think the partnership with LB was a big factor in what made him that good, which may have been one of the reasons it never really worked for him at Spurs.

March 01, 2018, 06:42:53 PM
Reply #37

You could definitely see the Ajax coaching in him. He was decent with both feet, a master of drawing a cheap foul and had real awareness of what was going on around him. Fantastic little player in his pomp, and one that should definitely have won something during his time at Everton. His almost telepathic partnership with Baines was mesmerising at times.

March 01, 2018, 06:50:07 PM
Reply #38

NSNO Subscriber
Felt really sad watching tat compilation of his goals.

Just seeing the way we played and some of the players we had during that time.

All started to slowly unravel at the turn of the decade

March 01, 2018, 07:04:17 PM
Reply #39

NSNO Subscriber
When he was injured he spent a good 10 minutes chatting to my daughter and had her hop over the barrier to take a picture

March 01, 2018, 07:29:06 PM
Reply #40

Definitely one of my favourite players in the last 10 or so years.

I think it was his performance in our 6-1 victory over SK Brann in the old UEFA cup that made me realise we had a cracking player, even though he was still only on loan to us from Dortmund

March 01, 2018, 10:19:17 PM
Reply #41

I just watched that vid of his goals and thought "What the hell is he doing so far forward all the time? He's a midfielder ffs!"

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

March 01, 2018, 10:27:09 PM
Reply #42

If he had more pace and stamina he'd have spend his career at barca or madrid. Never seen a more inelegant player. The ball stuck to his foot he was brilliant. When he got his move he deserved better than spurs in my opinion

March 01, 2018, 11:07:51 PM
Reply #43

Evertonian in NC

If he had more pace and stamina he'd have spend his career at barca or madrid. Never seen a more inelegant player. The ball stuck to his foot he was brilliant. When he got his move he deserved better than spurs in my opinion

Same thing about his shot being more reliable.  I've never rued his lacking anything greater.  Loved him exactly as he was, he embodied the spirit of Everton as well as any player of the modern era.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

March 02, 2018, 12:07:06 AM
Reply #44

Brilliant footballer and always gave his all. One of those worth the entrance fee alone. As above if he'd had more pace he could have genuinely been a great, but then he wouldn't have played for us.