August 22, 2019, 05:22:33 AM

Author Topic: What to do with our current squad  (Read 43334 times)

March 04, 2018, 09:03:59 PM
Read 43334 times

toffee_scot

Goalkeepers:

Keeping Pickford is a no brainer. Robles is out of contract, he'd want more games which we can't guarantee so I'd release. Stekelenburg has one more year left, I actually think he's a decent keeper overall so I'd happily keep him.

Defenders:

Martina and Williams should not be at Everton, sell at the earliest opportunity. Mangala will likely return to Man City anyway. Jags has one more season as well as Baines so I'd keep them as a back up. Give Keane another season to sort himself out. The rest I'm happy to keep. We really need to invest in a good quality centre back and left back this summer.

Midfield:

Sell Schneiderlin at the earliest opportunity, he's turned into a bit of a parasite. If Besic does well at Boro then I'd contemplate giving him another chance at Everton. Sell Klaassen if we can, we've had 3 managers who showed little to no confidence in him. Develop Beningime further into a first team player and give Vlasic more playing time. We need to invest in a more creative midfielder or just someone who can make a good forward pass.

Forward:

I'm really not a fan at all of Bolasie so if we can sell him I'd be fine with it. Not sure what the situation is with Tarashaj, probably another loan or sell him. The rest of the players I would keep. If Lookman does well at Leipzig then he should feature more for Everton next season.

Other Players On Loan:

Sell Pennington and Mirallas, probably Browning and Galloway as well as they don't seem to be making much progress. Hopefully Dowell is ready for the Everton first team. The others could maybe do with another loan spell next season.

March 04, 2018, 11:44:11 PM
Reply #1

toffee_scot

Personally, this summer I think we should try and avoid signing too many players for the first team as that can really upset any dynamic that's in the squad. I'd bring in no more than a maximum of four players particularly in central defence, left back, central midfield and a creative attacking player, however if we do have an injury crisis in a particular position then of course we should have to look at bringing in cover.

If we could somehow get rid of Robles, Martina, Williams, Schneiderlin, Mirallas, Klaassen, Pennington, Bolasie, plus maybe Sandro if he's not interested in staying at Everton and maybe a couple of the fringe players like Garbutt, Browning or Galloway, then that would really trim the squad and especially the wage bill which could go towards the new players. Of course it will be very difficult to sell all these players especially as many clubs will not want to pay anywhere near what we paid for many of our expensive transfers plus wages could be a huge issue.

Someone like Williams though, I'd happily accept a £12m loss and offer him more or less for free back to Swansea
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 11:45:46 PM by toffee_scot »

July 29, 2018, 05:40:37 AM
Reply #2

toffee_scot

Only we could sign a player who doesn’t get on the ball and create stuff. He did okay last season but he was a shocking signing in terms of what we actually needed and in terms of his price

I'm wondering if he will fit into the football system of the current manager, I know this isn't his signing but it would be great if we could get the most out of our £45m player.

August 04, 2018, 07:12:42 PM
Reply #3

toffee_scot

So in terms of outgoings:

Robles
Rooney
Funes Mori
Williams (loan)
Klaassen
Mirallas (loan)
Garbutt (loan)
Tarashaj (loan)

Not done too badly there, we will probably send out a few more on loan like Galloway, Bolasie, Pennington, Martina and Vlasic by next week or the end of the month (if clubs abroad are interested).

August 17, 2018, 03:07:05 AM
Reply #4

toffee_scot

Imagine you are a Stoke fan.

Your team has been relegated from the Premier League and the club bring in Ashley Williams and Cuco Martina.

Let that sink in Stoke fans!