November 14, 2019, 09:56:28 PM

Author Topic: What to do with our current squad  (Read 45714 times)

March 04, 2018, 09:48:13 PM
Read 45714 times

Dr. Sponge

Form aside, I think our nucleus for next season is:

Pickford
Holgate
Coleman
Davies
Gueye
Lookman
Walcott
Sigurdson

Rooney occasionally but his legs are going. Not sure about Keane, I’d like to see him alongside someone that isn’t Williams.

The rest are too old now, too young, or too crap. Haven’t made my mind up about Tosun yet, he’s had some good moments but then been anonymous for large periods.

We’re a bit spineless at the moment, both metaphorically and literally. We need a CB, CM playmaker dude, and a striker. Plus a left back.

March 05, 2018, 06:49:12 PM
Reply #1

Dr. Sponge

Pickford

Coleman Holgate New New

Davies Sig Gueye

Lookman Walcott Onyekuru

Could work.... Maybe.

March 07, 2018, 06:33:36 AM
Reply #2

Dr. Sponge

I agree at the moment, but I think Holgate and Keane for the future was the plan (God, I hope there was a plan !!) and in the long term should still be.

As much as I am not a fan of a back 3 I would like to see Keane, Jags, Holgate for the last few games. Let Jags coach them positioning, how to read the game and hopefully build their confidence in real game situations. We have to be looking at the future, as we can't afford another summer and start of the season like this.

The only way a back 3 would work for us is if Baines and Coleman were fit to play fullback, and Ashley Williams evaporated.

Those who would sell Sigurdson are a bit mad, he's such a good player. He's got all the qualities to play at the tip of a midfield 3. For the goal against Burnley he won the ball, played a one-two, then played it out wide to Walcott. If anything I feel a bit sorry for him in this team.

May 19, 2018, 05:47:35 PM
Reply #3

Dr. Sponge

Be great if him and Sandro make decent contributions next season

Hopefully, but it doesn’t bode well that he went on loan in January to get more playing time and only made one appearance.

May 19, 2018, 06:46:53 PM
Reply #4

Dr. Sponge

I can see Sandro running down his contract with us, as no one will pay him anything like what we do, i feel we need to get rid of over 50% of our players and buy a whole new team..

keep the youngsters + Rooney/Jags/Baines and Gueye, bin the rest.

This summers going to be fun.. more fun than last year and the Siggy saga.

I dont even care if we get Raiola's lesser stars just to give them a better shop window.. hopefully by the time we come to sell them.. we'd be regular top 6... so they might even stay!

Counting your chickens a little early, but I like the optimism.

June 01, 2018, 08:17:52 PM
Reply #5

Dr. Sponge

Defence
Well starting from the back, there's question marks over 3 CBs. Jags (old), Williams (old and has been awful) and Mori (bad injury and prone to a howler anyway).

Can't see us getting shot of all of them. I love Jags so I hope he has another season left in him, but who knows. I'd get rid of Williams as Mori is a bit younger and more athletic. High hopes for Holgate. Keane.. meh, give him a fresh start.

Coleman and Kenny at RB. That'll do.

Keep Baines as back up and to be around the squad, but it's essential that we buy a new first team LB.

Midfield
Our midfield is as messy as the CB area. Who do we keep faith with? Schneiderlin was considered one of the best in the squad before last season. Hopefully Silva can get a better tune out of him this season, but I think a player that can dictate play should be No.1 on our shopping list.

Rooney looks gone. Gueye has amazing qualities but hindered our play a lot last season. Davies is young and I know a lot of Evertonian don't rate him but I do. He's dynamic, good touch, reads the game well and is box to box. Sigurdson will be the main man and I think we should build the team around him next season, instead of shoving him on the left. Kalassen - who knows.

Forwards
Our wingers are hit and miss. Walcott is our best, with Lookman hopefully back in blue and raring to go. Vlasic looks tidy on the ball but yet to show his full potential. And Bolasie... I still remember my disappointment after we signed him.

Tosun knows where the goal is, I'm happy with that. I don't like Niasse in the team, he runs down a lot of blind alleys. Scores a few goals but never seems on the same wavelength as the rest of the team. Would like a pacey last man striker, which i imagine Sandro was meant to be.

So we're looking at something like....

—————Pickford

Coleman Keane NewCB NewLB

——— NewCM Davies
————Sigurdson

—-Walcott Tosun Lookman
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 08:43:36 PM by Dr. Sponge »

June 08, 2018, 11:37:35 AM
Reply #6

Dr. Sponge

Schneiderlin and Bolasie have been told that they're not needed :D
Newcastle supposed to be in for Yannick.
happy days!

Where did ya hear this?

🤞🏻

July 22, 2018, 04:16:29 PM
Reply #7

Dr. Sponge

Besic would be suited to a 3 in midfield so he may well be in Silva’s plans. He’s got talent, we just haven’t been able to see if he can be consistent because of his injuries.