June 20, 2018, 06:56:26 PM

Author Topic: What to do with our current squad  (Read 16440 times)

March 04, 2018, 08:35:05 PM
Reply #15

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Interesting that all have included Tosun but for me he looked nothing special again yesterday.

Looked good to me albeit nothing to write home about.

We've got to start giving these players time to bed in though.

Even Keane who I don't rate at all needs another season.

March 04, 2018, 08:40:36 PM
Reply #16

Mayor Farnum

Looked good to me albeit nothing to write home about.

We've got to start giving these players time to bed in though.

Even Keane who I don't rate at all needs another season.

I just don't see what he offers over and above your average forward. Not particularly pacy and not physical enough to impose himself on most centre halves. His finishing may be his strength but without any other attributes he will rely on the team creating for him. Best I think we can hope for is a reliable forward who will get 15 goals in a good season.

March 04, 2018, 08:55:49 PM
Reply #17

SANA_DR0

Quite agree he deserves time but 27 million it just has another EFC fuck up written all over it.

he is a goal scorer, a class finisher..the proof is in his goals v the some of the best teams in european competition

I just don't see what he offers over and above your average forward. Not particularly pacy and not physical enough to impose himself on most centre halves. His finishing may be his strength but without any other attributes he will rely on the team creating for him. Best I think we can hope for is a reliable forward who will get 15 goals in a good season.

he offers goals and clinical finishing, also has a sublime first touch.. he is not pacy nor is he that physically imposing as you rightly pointed out..
no point having up top on his own.. or 40 yards away from the rest of the attackers.. every striker isnt like lukaku.. i actually think DCL and Cenk would make a great 2 up top... just need 2 wingers, and attacking full backs.
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

March 04, 2018, 08:59:43 PM
Reply #18

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber

Sounds about right for what we paid then.
Cordiali saluti, motherfuckers.

March 04, 2018, 08:59:53 PM
Reply #19

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
It’s generally bad practice to take one season as ‘proof’ of a goal scorer, even worse if you are only taking one competition from one season, or one season in a non top league.

Fact is we just don’t know, and he has some goodwill in the bank, very hard to say outside of that.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 04, 2018, 09:03:59 PM
Reply #20

toffee_scot

Goalkeepers:

Keeping Pickford is a no brainer. Robles is out of contract, he'd want more games which we can't guarantee so I'd release. Stekelenburg has one more year left, I actually think he's a decent keeper overall so I'd happily keep him.

Defenders:

Martina and Williams should not be at Everton, sell at the earliest opportunity. Mangala will likely return to Man City anyway. Jags has one more season as well as Baines so I'd keep them as a back up. Give Keane another season to sort himself out. The rest I'm happy to keep. We really need to invest in a good quality centre back and left back this summer.

Midfield:

Sell Schneiderlin at the earliest opportunity, he's turned into a bit of a parasite. If Besic does well at Boro then I'd contemplate giving him another chance at Everton. Sell Klaassen if we can, we've had 3 managers who showed little to no confidence in him. Develop Beningime further into a first team player and give Vlasic more playing time. We need to invest in a more creative midfielder or just someone who can make a good forward pass.

Forward:

I'm really not a fan at all of Bolasie so if we can sell him I'd be fine with it. Not sure what the situation is with Tarashaj, probably another loan or sell him. The rest of the players I would keep. If Lookman does well at Leipzig then he should feature more for Everton next season.

Other Players On Loan:

Sell Pennington and Mirallas, probably Browning and Galloway as well as they don't seem to be making much progress. Hopefully Dowell is ready for the Everton first team. The others could maybe do with another loan spell next season.

March 04, 2018, 09:19:52 PM
Reply #21

kramer0

I wouldn’t care if we sold most of those players.

We have one of the most boring squads in the league and we paid a fuck ton for it. Embarrassing on so many levels.

March 04, 2018, 09:20:43 PM
Reply #22

beyondblue

What we really "need" is half of a new team.

An issue that should now be all too obvious to football as a whole is that signing a large number of players at the same time does not work. The players can't all gel at once and few seem to have a long-term impact on the club.

It hasn't happened for us (why is another debate), it didn't work for Tottenham after selling Bale, it didn't work for QPR and it hasn't totally worked for AC either.

The club needs to get its off-pitch backroom signings in order before spending another £150m, throwing money at a problem which has been proven won't be fixed in this way. As much as it pains me to say, to keep any form of consistency and familiarity off the pitch going into next season, I think some of the deadwood should be kept on.

I'd love to see Robles, Martina, Williams, Garbutt, Schneiderlin, Mirallas, Besic, Niasse, Bolasie and all of the of the others taken to the scrap heap, but I don't think we can really afford to.

Next year we realistically need to focus on stabilising the team, getting some consistency back and aiming for 7-9th. £150m for a back-up goalie, left back, right back, centre back, centre mid, winger and couple of strikers all at once might isn't likely to achieve this.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:23:40 PM by beyondblue »

March 04, 2018, 09:48:13 PM
Reply #23

Dr. Sponge

Form aside, I think our nucleus for next season is:

Pickford
Holgate
Coleman
Davies
Gueye
Lookman
Walcott
Sigurdson

Rooney occasionally but his legs are going. Not sure about Keane, I’d like to see him alongside someone that isn’t Williams.

The rest are too old now, too young, or too crap. Haven’t made my mind up about Tosun yet, he’s had some good moments but then been anonymous for large periods.

We’re a bit spineless at the moment, both metaphorically and literally. We need a CB, CM playmaker dude, and a striker. Plus a left back.

March 04, 2018, 09:56:29 PM
Reply #24

Bluedylan

We'd have Messi playing long balls into the channels and looking ordinary, under the setup for the last few seasons.

I'm genuinely reluctant to judge a single one of them until we get a competent managerial team in with a clear, progressive direction.

Klaassen, for example, is clearly a very talented player and yet the few times we've seen him he looks like he's never seen a football in his life.

Get the manager right and a lot of these players will play much closer to their potential.

Oh I nearly forgot, Ashley Williams is defo garbage regardless of the manager.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

March 04, 2018, 10:07:13 PM
Reply #25

Evertonian in NC

For the life of me, I don't get why we wouldn't put Holgate next to Keane and leave the pairing alone for the rest of the season, minimum.  See if it gels, especially with Baines back.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

March 04, 2018, 10:08:54 PM
Reply #26

Lxxx

I'm not sure I've read that right but I think you've just rather disparagingly written him off as just 'a forward who might get you 15 goals a season.' For £27m that's a fuckin snip then in todays prices.

March 04, 2018, 10:11:43 PM
Reply #27

Evertonian in NC

I'm not sure I've read that right but I think you've just rather disparagingly written him off as just 'a forward who might get you 15 goals a season.' For £27m that's a fuckin snip then in todays prices.

and would certainly buy us some development time for our young forward players.  We've been in need of a "bridge solution" in the worst way.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

March 04, 2018, 10:12:18 PM
Reply #28

Lxxx

For the life of me, I don't get why we wouldn't put Holgate next to Keane and leave the pairing alone for the rest of the season, minimum.  See if it gels, especially with Baines back.

Because that pairing wouldn't work. I can see your logic but one is a lad without much experience who plays off the cuff and the other is a lad who looks scared of a football at the minute.

I'd be pairing Holgate with Jags until the end of the season, telling Keane to go away and sort his head out and make sure he's ready to come in pre season ready for a fresh challenge and to start his Everton career afresh. Knowing he won't have to see Ashley Williams ever again. 

March 04, 2018, 10:20:26 PM
Reply #29

Evertonian in NC

Because that pairing wouldn't work. I can see your logic but one is a lad without much experience who plays off the cuff and the other is a lad who looks scared of a football at the minute.

I'd be pairing Holgate with Jags until the end of the season, telling Keane to go away and sort his head out and make sure he's ready to come in pre season ready for a fresh challenge and to start his Everton career afresh. Knowing he won't have to see Ashley Williams ever again. 

If his head is really gone, that's fair enough.  I'd rather clear his head for maybe 2-3 weeks and give it a go.  Playing next to someone with Holgate's range could give Keane more confidence and allow him to play to his strengths.  And then if he still sucks, you know there is a permanent problem you have to fix, and/or have an open competition with Funes Mori for his spot next season.

I suspect we will have to use the bulk of our funds on LB and a creative passing midfielder this summer.