August 20, 2019, 05:21:46 AM

Author Topic: What to do with our current squad  (Read 43263 times)

May 03, 2018, 09:43:33 PM
Reply #15

Lxxx

Absolutely no way he should be going out on loan again.

He should definitely be going out on loan. He was playing at a not too dissimilar level to Lookman before he joined Anderlecht this season and he's missed a lot of the season through injury. Lookman was way off the pace in terms of his overall play when he arrived so I'd hate to see Henry be in that position. Let him progress, play in the Champions League and then come when he's had another year.

May 19, 2018, 03:43:41 PM
Reply #16

Lxxx

Be great if him and Sandro make decent contributions next season

Save us a fortune if they turn out to be able to contribute. Plus they’re both a good age to invest in and hopefully improve.

May 19, 2018, 11:34:18 PM
Reply #17

Lxxx

Pretty sure a proper manager who can coach would get more of a tune out of Sandro and Klaassan.

Not saying they’ll definitely come good but I’d like to think if they’re here next season they’d show more than we’ve seen so far.

May 20, 2018, 04:40:14 AM
Reply #18

Lxxx

We’ve got a huge squad at the minute. I’d be amazed if we bring in more than 4-5 whilst letting 7-8 go.
The next manager will have to work with the majority of the players that have failed us the past 18 months. He’ll have find a system and develop a style that gets the best out of what we have. Which should still be comfortably enough to at least be the best of the rest next season, which is where we’ll be budgeting to finish.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 04:41:30 AM by Lxxx »

May 21, 2018, 06:19:35 PM
Reply #19

Lxxx

Surely worth keeping Stekelenburg as the sub GK? Robles too good to sit on our bench forever.

Stek was visibly declining under Koeman, he's only going to get worse sitting on his arse as his birthdays tick off. You want your third goalkeeper to be a young lad and your reserve goalkeeper able to do a reliable job if needed.

June 01, 2018, 04:26:32 PM
Reply #20

Lxxx

It's only when you see it written down in it's entirety you realise how horrendously bloated and average our squad is.

June 01, 2018, 05:37:13 PM
Reply #21

Lxxx

I’ve noticed Garbutt is taking a nice lavish holiday after a long hard season of intense football. Well deserved lad, enjoy.

If someone wanted to give me £20k a week on a 5 year contract I'd be accumulating lovely young ladies with which to enjoy it with too.

June 01, 2018, 08:26:53 PM
Reply #22

Lxxx

Can’t polish a turd. I think most of our young players will struggle on account of not being good enough

I don't think we can make a definitive judgement on any of our young players until we've seen how they do this season. We've had an 18 month shitstorm which hasn't really been great for their development so I'd like to see how they do with a bit of stability under a manager who says he wants to play the right way.

June 14, 2018, 03:55:08 PM
Reply #23

Lxxx

Very conflicted on this.

On one hand, I agree with @Shogun that some of his performances have been genuinely unforgivable, and that’s without getting to the bottom of the ‘if you’re not up for a scrap go home’ stuff that came about under unsie.

HOWEVER - I do believe that in the right midfield, he has almost all the qualities to be a CL level screening DM. If you put him side by side across his career versus say Carvalho (who I like) you’d probably on a blind test pick Morgan.

It just means the end for Gueye imo, because Morgan will need two ball-hungry energy / passing machines next to him.

Good points. Although I feel you need someone in there with a bit of physical presence who can actually put a tackle in and disrupt play. Even on a good day his attempts at being physical are a bit powder puff. Not quite as bad as Klaassan, but not far off.

June 14, 2018, 05:08:30 PM
Reply #24

Lxxx

Schneiderlin had about half a dozen good games for us over 18 months and it’s not as if we’ve played that badly in all that time. He’s definitely one we should be looking to move on if we can find a buyer for a player with a questionable attitude and a heart of a pea, the talent he does have is far outweighed by his character flaws.

Pretty much sums it up perfectly.

June 14, 2018, 06:40:11 PM
Reply #25

Lxxx

Had a monstrous defensive output at saints.

At his best for us defensive numbers were something closer to Matic at Chelsea than klaassen.

No worries at all about his tackles / interceptions, but his head is powder puff for me. He’s a jogger. When he gets beat he’s beat for good.

This is the argument always held up for him though. His time at Southampton was years ago now and at a totally different stage of his career. He should be hitting his peak now but it seems like his peak was his final year at Southampton when mentally he was on it, searching for his big move.

His head isn't in it anymore and we need players who are strong enough to drive us forward. I've not seen a sustained run of good form from him since 2015, which tells a story.

June 14, 2018, 09:49:37 PM
Reply #26

Lxxx

All our time will be taken trying to shift quite a few out the door at present. Brands has been quite explicit on the current situation.

June 15, 2018, 07:01:01 PM
Reply #27

Lxxx

Wouldn't it be lovely if we had a midfielder who could actually tackle, run and pass the ball forwards as well. Instead of this obsession with only being able to do one part or the other and thinking that's your only remit.

June 25, 2018, 03:56:44 PM
Reply #28

Lxxx

Wouldn't surprise me to see Sandro come back this season under Silva. Maybe a change of emphasis in how we play, a latin coach and no-one big enough interested to pay him what we do might mean we try and utilise him instead of paying big money on a replacement, which it doesn't look as if we've got. I've no idea whether there is a player in there or not but he's ours so we may as well try.

July 02, 2018, 08:12:09 PM
Reply #29

Lxxx

Let's see how his £100k car and boyband haircut go down with a load of grafters in League One.