December 11, 2018, 07:09:54 AM

Author Topic: What to do with our current squad  (Read 36233 times)

August 05, 2018, 04:37:51 AM
Reply #15

Bluedylan

To be honest I am a bit concerned about how easy we look to score against.

That team tat started first half was pretty much our first team for the year, minus stek for picks and being honest the goals were not steks fault really. We are still allowing a LOT of shots in dangerous areas.

Pretty much every attack seems to end in a do or die moment for our defence. Surely must be a systemic issue? Or like individual player quality is it? Both sides of the pitch, cut through. Crosses from all angles are reaching their destination. Cut backs are finding their man alone on the six yard box.

It’s not just the back four. It’s the lack of control and the way we deal with counter attacks.

Let's not forget that we were also playing Valencia, who are a better team than us and a CL team. And we have a new manager just starting to build his team. Everton wasn't built in a day.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

August 05, 2018, 04:53:17 AM
Reply #16

Bluedylan

Yeah they looked really good on the ball.

But itís more that the same problems have existed for what, 3 seasons now? Weíre paper thin, every single time a team attacks us it ends in a goal or a real crisis moment. We look terrified, the quality of chances we give a way and the range of different attacks that seem effective against us is too high.

Agreed. But were you expecting that to be solved this summer?

I'm not having a pop, but the reason I'm maybe going a bit easier and not expecting too much is that I think we need to calm down and give Silva time to build his side. I feel like if the expectations are too high, then the fans might get on Silva's back far too quickly and then we'll end up putting pressure on him, and changing manager again, and back to square one.

We finished 8th last year with all manner of chaos going on, 3 managers etc. We've improved the squad this summer, and I think we'll get somewhere around 7th-9th without too much trouble.

I'm not even thinking about the Top 6, unless one of them has a complete meltdown season. Maybe people will accuse me of being unambitious and not following NSNO, but the last few seasons have been pretty awful and I genuinely think we need a stabilising season.

August 05, 2018, 05:27:39 AM
Reply #17

Bluedylan

Absolutely agree, not thinking about too 6 at all and we desperately need a stabilising season, but if we don’t sort some of these issues then I worry Marco and Marcel will put themselves under pressure straight from the off.

So we're pretty much coming from the same place, worried about the new regime not getting time to build. You're just focusing more on the team side, and I'm focusing on the fan expectation side.

August 21, 2018, 04:47:31 AM
Reply #18

Bluedylan

Got sent off didnít he.

He's boss though. Converted winger.