September 19, 2020, 09:58:34 AM

Author Topic: Marcel Brands to Join Everton  (Read 96704 times)

April 06, 2018, 07:56:17 PM
Read 96704 times

ajax_andy

'Working alongside' could mean anything, chill yer boots!

Could easily mean Brands comes in as Director of Football and Walsh becomes Director of recruitment or something like a glorified chief scout

June 24, 2019, 01:34:24 AM
Reply #1

ajax_andy

Ahh the been there got the t-shirt fact! I wouldn’t know as when we all go on winter sport we snowboard and ski, we do not spend all our time in the hospital looking up nationalities as you seem to do. But everyone needs a hobby. So far not known anyone to come back injured so maybe it’s not as bad as you think, seeing as you also thought there are no hills here.

My wife's Dutch, I know loads of Dutch people who have been or go skiing.  I know two people who have injured themselves skiing (dislocated shoulder / broken hip) - both English.

So yeah, I'm with you here, don't think it's true.

February 26, 2020, 11:40:00 PM
Reply #2

ajax_andy

https://twitter.com/Everton/status/1232665281232850944

Always liked Ruud, sadly I think he hates me after I booted his kid's football in the sea on a Dutch island... He had to go wading in almost to his chest to retrieve it 🤦‍♂️

February 27, 2020, 01:00:33 AM
Reply #3

ajax_andy

Distribution like pickford then? 
Sent from my POT-LX1 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

🤣🤣🤣

Honestly saw an amazing claim to fame story unfolding in front on my eyes.  Ruud and his kids playing footy on the beach, one of the kids misplaces a pass and it rolls to me, I look over at the boy whose waiting for me to kick it back to him, but past him is the great Dutchman.  So I opt instead to chip it over the boy to Ruud so I can regale people with the tale of that time I played a perfectly weighted 20 yard pass to one of the greatest strikers of his generation.

Sadly I properly shanked it about 20 yards to the side instead and VERY far in to the sea 😬😬😬

July 12, 2020, 03:12:47 PM
Reply #4

ajax_andy

I think the Gbamin injury has skewed the impact of business last summer somewhat.

Gbamin + Delph (as cover) should have been enough to compensate for Gueye leaving... Only Gbamin's thigh muscle fell off.

That left Delph playing too often which isn't what he was brought in to do, leading to him getting injured and our midfield being decimated.

Gomes was a decent signing for the price given the three man midfield we were implementing, so really we had a decent set of options on there, it's just all fallen apart because a) Gbamin got a terrible injury, and b) we had to sack the manager whose players were bought for his system.

My only concern about Brands moving forward is how much will Ancelloti be in charge of who comes in... It's not like you argue with a man like him if he wants to sign older higher wage players.  Brands influence on our buying ethos might just go straight out of the window this season

July 12, 2020, 03:41:57 PM
Reply #5

ajax_andy

A world class gueye held that midfield together. We were playing with 3 central midfielders and he was doing the defensive work of all 3. There’s nothing to suggest we’d have coped barring injuries. We needed to either replace gueye with someone with similar world class numbers or we needed to move away from the likes of Gomes and sigurdsson who can’t do much of what’s required of a midfielder

Gbamin - Gomes
-------- Iwobe

Would be enough if Gbamin was of the standard Brands believed he was when buying him, with Delph coming in for Gbamin or Gomes if one was injured or rested.

We also had Schneiderlin, Davies and Sig to add to that.

It's got a decent balance to that, the issue is Gbamin and Delph haven't been available for large / most stretches of the season, leaving us with a massively inbalanced midfield, compounded further by a switch to a formation that not one single one of them is suited for.

July 15, 2020, 02:25:24 AM
Reply #6

ajax_andy

fee that wee could end up paying and signing fee

Gbamin and Delph were panic buys 1st one was coming back form bad injury and the other is a sick note

Mina is not all that and we could have gotten KZ that summer
Bernard James Mcgeedy

In what world was Gbamin a panic buy? Bizarre thing to say.

July 15, 2020, 02:26:44 PM
Reply #7

ajax_andy

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jean-philippe-gbamin/verletzungen/spieler/182894

been having the same sort of injury for years its was going to pop at some point

No according to that he's had various short term injuries to various muscles as any player would.  Honestly what are you going on about 😂

July 15, 2020, 03:07:28 PM
Reply #8

ajax_andy

@markB  you make out like he was Daniel Sturridge or something prior to us signing him... He missed a few weeks here and there over the previous few seasons, literally nothing on that list would suggest to anyone his thigh would fall off.

July 16, 2020, 02:59:53 PM
Reply #9

ajax_andy

its clear to see its been the same injury over and over again you would think we would wait and  see if it is fixed before signing him his name came out of the blue we were looking at others why then did we go for a player that could not start the 1st games

110 days with the same sort of injury on the same leg at the same spot thats 15 weeks not a few and then add up the in squad but not played

makes you wonder what this injury is that he is other with this time

I dont like it but we got sold a wooden one

Missed 21 days one season, 67 the next.

Nothing particularly alarming in that.  You make out like he had an injury that kept him out multiple times and for long periods.... His first occurrence saw him out for three weeks,.

Yes the next occurrence was 2 months but that doesn't suggest he has a long term problem, it's entirely feasible for a player to tweak the same muscle more than once.

If he'd been out for three months and 6 months with that same injury fair enough....but one of the two occurances was just 3 weeks.

August 25, 2020, 10:48:28 PM
Reply #10

ajax_andy

I saw this on another site, but it was quite a good idea. I think Amazon or Netflix should do a behind the scenes, warts and all documentary on us. The club that spent over half a billion pounds to go from 11th to 12th in the Prem.

You mean like 'All or Nothing'?

I think there's just a slight title tweak and it's ready to go.

Introducing the new Amazon Prime show...

'All for Nothing'

August 31, 2020, 12:48:30 AM
Reply #11

ajax_andy

It’s not (currently) a reflection of Brands in terms of any outgoings. If you hand out overweighted salaries and on top of that the player isn’t performing, how are you meant to sell that player unless they’re willing to take what would likely be a hit on their wages?

I don’t have much anticipation we’ll be selling much of anyone unless the player is really, really desperate for playing time.

They should bring in some sort of rule that if a player is in the last year of their contract, you can pay them off and it not affect your FFP.

Would mean players don't loose out on the money, and clubs can shift them without an impact on their spending ability.

Everyone wins.